fast broadband?

That's a very good deal, as long as their network can sustain 8mb transfer speeds, of course you'd only know that once you've signed up and I doubt there's any sort SLA which you could invoke if it doesn't. ;)

I tried to sign up with them last week, but after entering my postcode it came back and said I could only get 2mbps broadband. So, it seems a select few within spitting distance of an exchange will get 8mbps, the rest of us can safely ignore the offer....

On the flipside though, it seems we are in the midst of a broadband speed battle...which means good things for consumers. BT adsl is jumping up to 2mbps as standard, ntl is jumping to 2mpbs from 750k in response... :clap:

Where did hear about ntl increasing there speeds?

I was considering switching to ADSL from cable since ntl have become less competive

Thanks

Whitey

Careful, NTL are increasing speeds but also imposing enforced caps .. here. Supposedly the enforcement will take place in the summer, but unlike the existing cap there is no doubt these new ones WILL be enforced soon.

I think this year will see the enforcement of hard caps by all broadband suppliers.

the ntl 2mbps product will be capped at 30gb/month, soft cap as per now and last year, and a hard cap towards the end of this year once they have the equipment in place to enforce it.

compares to bt's soft cap (1gb/day) favourably...

I've had both (adsl in the past, with ntl now) and they compare equally well.
I think it depends on what you can get in your area, and your personal opinion of both companies.

Have you tried BulldogDSL?
They are rapidly expanding. My exchange went live las week. They offer a no limit 4Mbps service for £29.99 (special offer for 1st 12 months, then £39.99), £1 connection and monthly contract. This includes your line rental of £10 per month(instead of paying to BT).
When I spoke to them a couple of weeks ago the guy was talking about 6Mbps by summer and 18Mbps later this year(ADSL2).

BT are offering the optimum speed for your line at no additional cost so if you can get 2Mb you'll get 2Mb. The benefit will come later this year when they will up it again so if you can get 2Mb it looks like it will be upped to 8Mb :D

Unless you live in an LLU area then the likelihood of getting 8mbs with a BT line and any isp is going to be a reality only for a few close to exchanges, no matter what all the hype about BT opening up sais. The Register also reported that BT is opening up exchanges/lines first in LLU areas in a snide way of undermining companies that are threatening them.
NTL are supposedly enforcing caps later in the year and as an NTL customer I'm gonna sit back and see what happens in both camps. So it'll be 3mb rape until the cap comes in for real and I'll move to an unlimited adsl muller, probably ukonline 2mb deal. I'd imagine the reality will be the speed hungry minority being disappointed people later in the summer; as BT opens up more exchanges etc. which, results in limited gains for that cohort. Then again, the majority would be more than happy with 2mb and some capping which isn't helping getting speeds upped. NTL for example were reported as being more concerned with keeping its mass of lower tier users, as opposed to the speed hungry crowd and hence came the idea to force a cap and ease traffic/strain to their systems. The only hope here is that NTL rethink the forced cap due to losing not only bb from it's customers who leave but tv and phone line revenue too.

encaser said:
Unless you live in an LLU area then the likelihood of getting 8mbs with a BT line and any isp is going to be a reality only for a few close to exchanges, no matter what all the hype about BT opening up sais. The Register also reported that BT is opening up exchanges/lines first in LLU areas in a snide way of undermining companies that are threatening them.
NTL are supposedly enforcing caps later in the year and as an NTL customer I'm gonna sit back and see what happens in both camps. So it'll be 3mb rape until the cap comes in for real and I'll move to an unlimited adsl muller, probably ukonline 2mb deal. I'd imagine the reality will be the speed hungry minority being disappointed people later in the summer; as BT opens up more exchanges etc. which, results in limited gains for that cohort. Then again, the majority would be more than happy with 2mb and some capping which isn't helping getting speeds upped. NTL for example were reported as being more concerned with keeping its mass of lower tier users, as opposed to the speed hungry crowd and hence came the idea to force a cap and ease traffic/strain to their systems. The only hope here is that NTL rethink the forced cap due to losing not only bb from it's customers who leave but tv and phone line revenue too.

From what i have been reading from various sources the 8MB upgrade will be available to ALL who can currently get 2MB so thats alot of people

SDSL is also coming this year for speeds upto 18MB but that is limited to 500 exchanges in 2005 so a small minority

betamac said:
From what i have been reading from various sources the 8MB upgrade will be available to ALL who can currently get 2MB so thats alot of people

SDSL is also coming this year for speeds upto 18MB but that is limited to 500 exchanges in 2005 so a small minority

From what I've read the physical restrictions on what's out there will make the 8mb dream just that for the majority. Proximity is supposed to be a major factor; not just BT opening up the possibility of getting the most, as is supposedly demonstrated by them giving peeps 2mb where possible and not 8mb. At the moment though let's look on the brightside.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom