Fast action motion problems

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NickBull, Dec 18, 2001.

1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was watching Planet of the Apes and Moulin Rouge the other day and I've come to the conclusion that fast movement can look confusing and jittery. I'm not sure if this is the DVD's or the PC but it makes it quite hard to watch sometime. Both disks were region 1. Would setting the refresh rate to dead on 71.928 help, or is there something else that might make things better.

I've tried it with HW motion compensation on and off.

All superfluous tasks have been stopped. I'm using windvd 3.

Thanks

Nick

2. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Hi Nick

I'm sure that u know about a million times what I know about HC but here's my bit:

I have found that WinDVD showed more jerky movement than PowerDVD 3. But don't take my word for it (I'd hate to see u throw away money on my humble opion) but I think that I've come across other posts saying the same thing. Perhaps some one else could corroborate/correct this.

Conor

3. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Comer, I'll see what others say.

I've heared that the ATI player with the Radeon works really well too, but I couldn't get a digital sound output through my SB 5.1.

At least it seems it's a known problem which is good/bad depending on how you loook at it!

Cheers

Nick

4. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Nick

I also heard that the ATI player was pretty good but could not get DD sound either. I finally gave up and settled with PowerDVD 3. I'm using a Fortissimo II sound card with optical out

Conor

5. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could be worth a thread about getting digital output through ATI player.

I have seen it mentioned a couple of times before that people have had problems!

Let's hope someone can shed some light on things.

Nick

6. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well regarding Moulin Rouge it is in fact a fast and confusing and jittery image anyway on either R1 or R4. If you read many of the reviews including www.dvdfile.com they criticise the mTV style editing.

I dont have PotA having hated it at the cinema (worst Burton movie).

Fast movement should look fine. Refresh rate accuracy is not normally important on this aspect. You may need to describe better what you are seeing and then also note where in the film. A Counter Time would be helpful.

You do know the ATI player does not do DTS yes?

Regards Neil.

7. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil,

I'll try and get some times/chapters. I'm destined to have time for a play tonight.

I know the ATI player doesn't do DTS, but I can't get DD either. I may try again tonight as I do like the picture of the ATI. it seems a bit more film like and hold black detail very well!

I sometimes think that the motion problem is my old brain not being able to processs the vastness of the picture from a projector as fast as it should.

Seriously though, some DVD's sseem worse than others so maybe it's that.

I don't suppose having the pioneer set to Quiet mode would affect it would it?

Cheers

Nick

8. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    In my experience getting timing right for Region1 discs is critical, to get acceptably minimal judder. Region2/4 PAL seems fine with a round 75Hz.

I think this may be because the DVD playback/DirectDraw might not be perfectly in sync with any output display rate.

I don't think it's the timing issues we are noticing as frame judder, I think it's other buffering issues caused by any timing difference. The key seems to minimise the difference to get the buffering issues to be minimal.

I would be surprised if this is a problem with proper, source synced processor/scalers. I definately noticed no frame judder on Roland's Rock at 72Hz with Region1 material.

Rob.