• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Fashion 4k on Astra 19.2E, no sound on Sony X85B

icarusi

Standard Member
Anyone here getting sound and vision ok from the Fashion 4k channel on Astra 19.2E with an integrated TV satellite tuner? I'm getting vision only on a Sony X85B TV. If I switch off the 4k in the 'video tuning mode' (settings>digital set-up) I get sound only, which is normal for that setting on a 4k HEVC channel. All other 4k channels from Astra 19.2 are ok.

BTW the video looks really good, and it's not a demo channel.

icarusi

Standard Member
Just checked the .mts file from Fashion 4k and it has mp2 audio. Other .mts fies I have from 28.2E and 13E UHD have AAC audio, so I'm guessing Sony's HEVC codec isn't parsing correctly for mpeg audio layer 2 sound together with HEVC video. Switching off '4k' (or HEVC) in 'video tuning mode' accepts mp2 audio.

icarusi

Standard Member
Strangely the audio has suddenly appeared after some (seamingly) unrelated button pressing. Don't know if the current stream has AAC or not. Will check again tomorrow.

icarusi

Standard Member
Stream is still mp2 audio. Left it tuned but fully powered off, and started ok today. Watched CNBC for a while and when I switched back, no audio and the 'scrambled/ can't decode' banner was back. 'Nudged' it back to sound-on by tuning to a blank channel and back. Not sure exactly what the 'nudge' is. Annoying but not disastrous (at least 'til I confirm the nudge/fudge).

icarusi

Standard Member
Two more UHD channels at 19.2E. Insight UHD and Pearl TV 4K UHD. Pearl is a German shopping channel, Insight is sports like climbing, surfing, boarding, etc. with some motors, science and street magic. All the channels show as 50p streams but the footage (on Insight and Pearl) often looks like lower frame rates, and lower res on Insight. Pearl and Fashion 4k keep the UHD look the most. On Insight there's definitely UHD moments but often not better than 1080p. Don't know if they're mixing in 1080p footage, ambient lighting not giving much contrast, or general arty soft focus and deliberately wobbly camera work. How to make UHD look like 1080p without trying too hard. Fashion 4k and Insight are English language, Pearl is all German.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom