Farscape:The Peacekeeper wars

Whitley Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
Just spotted this is on tonight (Wednesday 8th) on channel 5. 9.00pm.
My T.V. guide has it as a "Half baked sci-fi based on a TV series" and goes on with "On the run from aliens who all seem to have raided the Star Trek costume cupboard. Proper rubbish" (2004 cert 12 TVM *)
Sounds good to me.:smashin: I liked the series.

Whitley Bob said:
My T.V. guide has it as a "Half baked sci-fi based on a TV series" and goes on with "On the run from aliens who all seem to have raided the Star Trek costume cupboard. Proper rubbish" (2004 cert 12 TVM *)

Which TV guide said that? Sounds like the reviewer prefers crap soaps/reality tv

Oh

My

God.

17 minutes in and this is bad

:eek: :clap:

Conn said:
Oh

My

God.

17 minutes in and this is bad

:eek: :clap:

You do have to have watched the series as well otherwise it makes absolutly no sence whatsover. If you have watched the whole series it brings all the story lines to a highly satisfying conclusion - of course i would have prefered it to go on for another couple of series but what can you do.

Watched it off Bittorrent before Christmas 2004. Got the DVD on release, got C5 on now

Battle said:
You do have to have watched the series as well otherwise it makes absolutly no sence whatsover. If you have watched the whole series it brings all the story lines to a highly satisfying conclusion - of course i would have prefered it to go on for another couple of series but what can you do.

Yes the fact that it's on CH5 doesn't help since the audience was created via the BBC screenings with a little help from SciFi.
I suspect there are a lot of people who tuned in and switched off who just couldn't understand what was going on.

If you want bad scifi then Alien Siege (scifi original tv movie) takes the cake, I am sure it was only made so the viewers could do the MST gig:)

OK, so they put a whole series togerther and made it a movie?
I'm reall glad I was already familliar with the series . I was watching thinking "Where's the intro, the scene setting, the plot" Yet it managed to keep me awake for three whole hours, which is no mean feat.
Now when are they going to show "Lexx" again. :D

unheardof said:
Which TV guide said that? Sounds like the reviewer prefers crap soaps/reality tv
TV Choice. :eek: 33pence wisely spent. :D If they don't like it then chances are I will. ;)

its ok if you know the series, if you dont you were on a hiding to nothing!

Whitley Bob said:

Sounds like the reviewer really knows their sci-fi if they think the aliens look like those from Star Trek . :rolleyes:

At least if they are going to review it they should get some body whose interested in the genre. :mad:

Whitley Bob said:
OK, so they put a whole series togerther and made it a movie?
No.

Farscape was originally a TV series, which ran for four seasons. It was then cancelled, which annoyed a lot of the fans, not least because season 4 ended on a massive cliff-hanger and didn't really wrap things.

Eventually there was enough fuss made that they agreed to make a little bit Farscape. So The Peacekeeper Wars is effectively a final extra three or four episodes added on to the end of the final season which ties up all of the loose ends.

You need to have seen all four seasons of the show to have any idea what's going on, or who anyone is, as it makes no attempt at all to explain anything that has happened previously. It's not intended to be seen by itself.

NicolasB said:
No.

You need to have seen all four seasons of the show to have any idea what's going on, or who anyone is, as it makes no attempt at all to explain anything that has happened previously. It's not intended to be seen by itself.

In other words, it was pants as a stand alone "movie". Quite glad I fell asleep around 25 mintes in :rolleyes:

Conn said:
In other words, it was pants as a stand alone "movie". Quite glad I fell asleep around 25 mintes in :rolleyes:

Thats OK buy the series or watch them on BBC3

MartinImber said:
Thats OK buy the series or watch them on BBC3

I have tried it before...but a bit like Andromeda, it has never really held my attention.

I think I must be getting old :rolleyes:

Conn said:
I have tried it before...but a bit like Andromeda, it has never really held my attention.

I think I must be getting old :rolleyes:

You must. Farscape is the best sci-fi show that has been on our screens in the last 10 years. and I'll quite happily slap anyone who disagrees with a soggy Haddock.:D

lovemunkey187 said:
You must. Farscape is the best sci-fi show that has been on our screens in the last 10 years. and I'll quite happily slap anyone who disagrees with a soggy Haddock.:D

I'll throw Firefly at you for that accolade - now that was a good show. Canning that was a crime.

And I'm sure someone will lob Battlestar or SG-1/Atlantis in soon as well :D (Found BSG dull and never really got in to SG either :( )

The first season of Farscape is superb - subsequent seasons never quite recaptured the initial form, but it's certainly worth watching. Comparing it to Andromeda is really not on.

Conn said:
Well, you know, it isn't a stand-alone movie. That's a bit like saying it's pants as a wildlife documentary, or it's pants as a Laurel and Hardy film - if you watch it wanting to see a wildlife documentary you'll probably be dissapointed, but, even if that happens, I don't think it's reasonable to criticise it for not being one.

The Peacekeeper Wars was made for one simple reason, to please the fans by giving them one finale adventure that tied up all the loose ends from Season 4 and it did that job perfectly.

Conn said:
And I'm sure someone will lob Battlestar or SG-1/Atlantis in soon as well :D (Found BSG dull and never really got in to SG either :( )

I can't imagine who that someone will be:rolleyes: ;)

I whole heartedly agree with you about the new and unimproved BSG.

Stargate is a brilliant show and Atlantis has had some pretty damn good episodes too.

NicolasB said:
The first season of Farscape is superb - subsequent seasons never quite recaptured the initial form, but it's certainly worth watching. Comparing it to Andromeda is really not on.

Well, you know, it isn't a stand-alone movie. That's a bit like saying it's pants as a wildlife documentary, or it's pants as a Laurel and Hardy film - if you watch it wanting to see a wildlife documentary you'll probably be dissapointed, but, even if that happens, I don't think it's reasonable to criticise it for not being one.

That misconception could well have been created by the way it was promoted by C5 then. Sure felt like they wanted you to think you were watching a stand alone TV movie.

Just spotted this farscape Peacekeeper wars thread and wanted to clear something up.

New viewers ARE told what is going on in the opening ten minutes. John Creighton, summarises the four farscape series quite neatly when he tells his story to the two head 'Eidolons'. The summary starts with 'fine, for the 89th time' (there where 88 episodes.) The main charachters continue to explain what is going on throughtout the film.

Farscape was a brilliantly original show that was ahead of its time. Unfortunately, like most good non-British genre tv series it was hidden away.

Just one other thing, anyone notice how good SG1 Series 9 is when Claudia Black is in it?:thumbsup:

lovemunkey187 said:

You got it spot on there, no other modern sci-fi compares to Farscape.

Sat

NicolasB said:
Steady on. Firefly? Babylon 5? BSG?

I think Firefly is close to the quality of farscape but the other two are very niche, but then again most people say that about farscape!

Sat

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom