1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Farscape Fans - Urgent News!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by PoochJD, Feb 1, 2005.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Superb news for "Farscape" fans! BBC3 is starting late-night, uncut, uncensored repeats of this brilliant mature science-fiction show - all 4 seasons, from this month! :clap:

Although it starts off in a very similar tone to "Buck Rogers", the show soon diverts, into a brilliant mix of dark sci-fi, nutty comedy, and brilliant puppetry courtesy of Jim Henson. (Think of the best bits of the Muppets, mixed in with "Deep Space Nine", with elements of "Lexx", and you're kind of getting there!) :D

The Pilot Episode will air late-night (at 00:10) on Monday 7th February, with future episodes airing every Monday through Thursday night at approximately the same time. During February, we'll see Season 1, and then over the next few months, BBC3 will air Seasons 2, 3 and 4 as well, although not back-to-back as I had hoped.

This is genuinely fantastic news, as "Farscape" has almost always been cut in the UK, for TV transmission - particularly for language, violence and some sexual overtones - even when Sci-Fi aired it late at night. Better still, all of the Season 4 episodes will be shown in widescreen too, as they were originally filmed! :)

If you are wanting to save money, (as the full-season Region 2 boxed sets tend to retail at £80 online), and can tolerate not owning the series on DVD (and aren't too bothered about all the extras), then this is going to be the best thing for you!

Enjoy the next four to five months, 'Scapers! ;) And if you want to register your pleasure at seeing uncut "Farscape", then please phone the BBC on 08700-100-222, and tell them. The more people that let them know, the better the ratings, and the better the chance that they will show Seasons 2 through 4 sooner, rather than later!

Pooch

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Great news for those with more sense than money:)
    Just a shame the BBC2 controller doesn't like scifi or at the very least not enough to buy the TV movie. It would be nice for those fans who haven't got SKY, a decent internet connection or the funds to spend on DVD's if the BBC made an approach to SKY for the rights, assuming they bought the whole package which is becoming the norm these days.

I have to say after watching the whole show on DVD that the BBC original broadcasters didn't suffer from cuts to the same extent as Buffy and at least they did do one (or was it two) latenight uncut screenings during the 4 year run.

3. ddscott

ddscott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there;

I have heard that Andi Peters is a massive fan of Farscape and ask for the show to be part of his new late night zone for BBC Three.

Maybe he will get the Peacekeeper wars??? :smashin:

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have them all on DVD S4 was in wide screen when it was on BBC.

I won't bother watching BBC7 because it isn't DD5.1 :thumbsup:

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Martin,

You said: "I won't bother watching BBC7 because it isn't DD5.1"

Umm, I doubt you'd enjoy BBC7, for "Farscape", only because that's the BBC's newest radio station! :laugh: I'm presuming, you meant BBC3?!

As for "Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars", this will NOT be airing on the BBC at all, as Five have the terrestrial TV rights to it, courtesy of Sky who brokered the deal in the first place.

Pooch

6. thirst

thirst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is great news for Farscape fans! It's about time that the BBC shown repeats of this fantastic science-fiction series. I would wholeheartedly recommend that anybody who hasn't seen this before set their videos to record this marvellous show. As Pooch has said give the series had chance to develop because it gets better and better.

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    BBC7 thats BBC Choice on C7

The radio channel everyone calls Radio 7!

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Glad I have the DVD on order.

I have watched already courtesy of file sharing

Anyway time for a Farscape session

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

What a complete balls-up, the BBC have made with their late-night BBc3 screenings! :mad:

Admittedly, whilst the show was almost DOG-free (bar the standard BBC3 logo), the BBc truly cocked-up the series.

1) They took the original 4:3 versions of the show, and slapped fake black widescreen bars across the top and bottom of the screen, resulting in a fake widescreen print, that chopped off lots of the tops of the casts' heads/faces.

2) Then, as soon as the episode ended, the cut all the credits, for waffle byu four of the dumbest, most unfunny idiots I've ever seen as presenters!

Shame on you BBC! :mad: A major disappointment, and it now means I have to wait to afford the DVD Complete Season boxed sets! :(

Pooch

10. TheAvalanche

TheAvalanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should buy the DVDs for the 5.1 sound. The first series always had something going on in the surrounds and great lfe (I have a HGS18 and it really rocked). Unfortunately after series 1 they changed sound designers and it was never as good.

Is there an email address via which we can complain?

11. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Avalanche,

You can contact the BBC, and e-mail them, via their website here!

Alternatively, you can e-mail the Radio Times at: radio.times@bbc.co.uk as long as you don't object to your message potentially ending-up in print.

Hope that helps!

Pooch

12. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Does anyone know if the Saturday and Sunday evening showings of Farscape have been censored because its before the watershed? Or if they dont need to be. Also, are the late night ones cut anyway?

I tried to watch the late night ones, but then I wasnt able to stay up that late anymore, but all is not lost now becasue of the weekend repeats. :clap:

13. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    Maddeningly even the late-night ones are censored. :mad:

14. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    DOn't worry the DVDs are good :thumbsup:

15. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    The DVDs are also infuriatingly expensive compared with those of many shows. You can buy a box-set of an entire Stargate SG-1 season for about £25 (Region 1). Close to double that for a season of Farscape. :(

16. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,187
    You think thats expensive I bought the Farscape 2 Disc Volume releases at £20 each so it ended up being £100 per Season but it was worth it and being able to collect them over months instead of having to spend all the money at once really helped.
    It is a shame though they are still showing the cut versions of the episodes on BBC3, tuned into the Clockwork Nebari episode last week and that episode has got to be one of the worst episodes regarding cuts, there has got to be a good minute or more missing. Until I saw the DVD release I didnt understand what Rigel ment by 'I dont want my eyes pulled out again' but you see it in all its glory on DVD and it isnt pleasent but it does make sense.

17. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

You might be interested to know that you can pick up cheap Australian versions of farscape complete season 1 - 4 for just under £25 including postage and packing each. Link below to season 3 but all four seasons are the same price...

http://www.devoteddvd.com.au/shop/p...=8959&osCsid=9a0446e0d5d441fa5df74a76807023dc

18. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    Thanks for the heads-up. :) Looks like there's a new lot of "official box set" as opposed to "compiled box set" Region 4 editions coming out on May 4th - several Australian sites offering some quite good deals. Must look into that.

P.S. Anyone know when BBC3 is showing season 3?

19. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Huh...I'm lost, what do you mean there's a lot of "official box-set" as opposed to "compiled box-set" region 4 editions?

20. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For anybody interested DevotedDVD.com.au are already shipping these Farscape box sets & my season 4 arrived this morning :D :thumbsup:

21. Battle

Battle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +904
    dont know if its just that they cram more on to the discs but that australian full set is only 6 discs whereas the Region 2 complete set is 10 discs???

anyone know what the difference is?

also does anyone know if they are ever going to bring out the season 4 complete series on region 2?

22. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,187
    Some of the Region 2 discs are DVD5s containing only 2 episodes so it sounds like the australian releases are just using DVD9s which would fit 22 episodes plus extra features on 6 discs.

Also, the Season 4 Boxset will be released on Region 2 eventually, before the end of the year would be my guess.

23. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Indiana Jones is correct that the region 2 season 4 box-set will be released towards the end of the year maybe October/November time. Which is why I've gone down the Australian region 4 box-set route which is substantially cheaper than the region 2 box-sets. Unfortunately aesthetically they're not as pleasing as the wonderful region 2 box-sets, also lacking the same amount of extras but for around £18 plus postage and packing for 22 episodes of one of the best sci-fi shows ever made, it's an absolute steal.

24. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,133
    [​IMG]

Fri, September 19th, 2008 at 8:03AM PST

Updated: Fri, September 19th, 2008 at 8:12AM PST

Since the announcement at this year’s Comic Con International that original series creator Rockne O'Bannon would be providing the story for BOOM! Studios' “Farscape” comics, anticipation has run high among fans of much-missed Sci Fi classic. The first four-issue miniseries will be a direct sequel to the “Peacekeeper Wars,” which closed out “Farscape's” television run in 2004. With the first issue solicited in this month's Previews catalogue for a November release, CBR News caught up with O'Bannon once again to discuss his initial foray into comics.

In an interview with CBR News during the San Diego convention, O'Bannon said the “Farscape” comics would allow him to tell stories that were not possible with the budget and production constraints of television. Readers will witness Rygel's return to Hyneria in a quest to reclaim his throne, a plot point the TV writers had always wanted to address but could not because of the complex puppetry and cost that would go into creating a world full of Hynerians. “We had one episode where there was a second Hynerian, and that was just killer,” O'Bannon said in July. The writer also confirmed that Aeryn's new life as a mother would factor into the new stories.

Now, as the release of issue #1 approaches, O’Bannon is still holding further story details close to the vest. Since CCI, though, the full creative team has been announced: “Farscape” novelist Keith R.A. DeCandido will be scripting O'Bannon's plots, with Tommy Patterson tackling the art chores.

“The story is really cooking,” O'Bannon told CBR News. “I just finished giving my notes on issue #3 to Keith DeCandido. It's turning out exactly as I'd hoped -- it's like watching continuing episodes of the series, especially since the comics story picks up immediately from the conclusion of 'The Peacekeeper Wars' television miniseries.”

O'Bannon worked closely with DeCandido on the novel, “Farscape: House of Cards.” “I know from past experience of other writers adapting TV series of mine into novels and comics that it's very tricky to turn a TV series into prose,” O’Bannon explained. “It's a very unique talent, and requires not only an encyclopedic knowledge of the TV series itself, but also the creative ability to capture the often elusive essentials of the series, such as tone. Keith had done this incredibly well with his 'Farscape' novel, and he's doing it again in spades in the comics.”

As to the further challenges of adapting to writing for comics rather than television, O'Bannon credited his creative partners with shepherding him through the process. “Having never written for comics before, I was proceeding on instinct a lot of the time as I plotted out the story for the comic's first four-issue arc,” he said. “I've been a fan of comics since forever, so I had a gut understanding of the form, but it was also a little nerve-wracking plotting along, wondering if what I was plotting was more suited to film than print. Luckily I had [BOOM! Studios Editor in Chief] Mark Waid as a guide, and Keith DeCandido as a partner. As it turns out, I suspect that the final story reads even more like actual episodes of the television series specifically because I approached it from my ingrained film writer perspective.”

Working with Waid in particular, O'Bannon said, was an enlightening experience. “Mark is the **KING** of this art form. An emeritus figure. A god, really. It's been fantastic having my first foray into the comic world to be at his knee. We talked about it being at his feet, or thigh -- but I ultimately felt most comfortable at his knee.”

Of course, perhaps the biggest translation between media will occur in the visual presentation. Whereas the Henson Company-produced television series relied on the use of elaborate puppets and fantastic sets, the look and feel of the “Farscape” comics will be in the hands of artist Tommy Patterson. “Tommy's doing an amazing job with the art,” O'Bannon said. Though DeCandido works more directly with Patterson, O'Bannon nevertheless enjoys a special perspective on the finished pages.
    “I'm lucky in that I get to experience the art almost as if I'm the first 'fan' to see it. I love that.”

BOOM! Studios’ “Farscape” #1 goes on sale in November.

25. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

I'd really like to get a complete "FARSCAPE" boxed set, containing all 4 seasons of the show, plue The Peacekeeper-Wars mini-series, but no matter whether you choose Region 1, Region 2 UK or Region 4 Australia, there's no definitive set available. :(

You can still buy the Region 2 UK "Farscape: The Ultimate Collection" for about £200-£250 from various websites and companies, but that's got some extras missing from the US "Starburst" sets. However, no one appears to have all 4 seasons of the show available in "Starburst" set either! :( :(

As such, it looks like I'll have the best and cheapest way to buy the entire series, is from ASDA Entertainment online, where you can buy:

- Season 1 Boxed Set (10 discs) for £26-93
    - Season 2 Boxed Set (10 discs) for £26-93
    - Season 3 Boxed Set (10 discs) for £26-93
    - Season 4 Boxed Set (10 discs) for £26-93, and
    - The Peacekeeper-Wars Mini-Series Set for £4-43
    TOTAL PRICE = £112-15

... although I don't know if that includes postage/packing. I'm not sure, though, if it contains the same extras, that are included in the "Farscape: Ultimate Collection" set, which is also available from ASDA Entertainment online, for £166-93! :)

Pooch

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  26. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,436
    I purchased Farscape S1 and S2 from theHut.com (who run Asda Entertainment ... and no P+P with them btw) just over a year ago for £17.99 each, just waiting for S3 and S4 to drop to around that target price on my Find-DVD price watch list

Very nice looking boxes :smashin:
    - still haven't watched it all yet :suicide:

27. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    I last watched Farscape when it was televised on BBC2 all those years ago :( It was the S4 season ender when
    the love couple was vaporised on the canoe

Have never got around to watching the mini-series wrap up. Why does it always happen? Stargate SG1 as well

28. Battle

Battle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +904
    I got them many moons ago when Choices reduced them all to 30 quid each - as the RRP was £100 i thought they would never come down more than that - of course a couple of months later they were £17.99 :rolleyes:

I think Scorpius is the best character ever created on TV - Wayne Pygram just gives him......Life.

29. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,133