1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faroudja puts the cat among the pidgeons!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by uncle eric, Apr 18, 2001.

1. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As most of you know, Faroudja has long been known as the elite of video processing. With the possible exeption of Snell & Wilcox their products stood head and shoulders above the rest.
    Recently however, some very brave companys have chipped away at thier sales. The main thing (even the very rich) people were questioning was the bang for (very high) buck factor. Was the Fara 3000 for example some 15k usd better than the Dwin Trannscaner, QuadScan, CI, Vigitech and now the Rock. Another case in point is the high activity of the used CRT market in the states (the biggest market of them all). Many who paid 5/6K usd for good high end machines found it difficult to part with 20K dollars for a Fara. Those that bought LCD/DLP cheaply were even more reluctant.
    Faroudja has now introduced its NR processer. Priced at around $4000 usd. If initial reports are anything to go by, this is a superb machine. For $4000 its an irresistable machine. The priliminary reports I've read on the NR series suggest its as good if not better than the Fara 3000. Of course the NR (native resolution) series was produced for LCD/DLP to match the native res of any given LCD/DLP projector.
    However, there is nothing stopping 7/8 inch CRT owners from taking advantage of this superb buy.
    The 800x600 apps can be used by 7 inchers and the 1024x720 by 8inchers respectively.

I think this machine with its superlative (trouble free) performance will prove a thorn in the side of Fara wannabees like Rock, Dwin and Vigitech. They will no doubt argue that the NR does not do higher scaling rates for 9 inchers etc. My views on this is that in all probability, the CRT market consists of 95% 7/8 inchers 5% 9 inchers. While at the sametime scoring a bullseye with LCD/ DLP market. Fara know what they are doing. They have woken from there slumber and have thrown a spanner in the works/plans of their underlings. I believe they almost certainly have a winner on their hands and given the price, there will almost certainly be black clouds gathering around their cheaper end competitors.
    I'm not knocking their competitors, were it not for there determination to produce good value products, we would probably come face to face with Lord Lucan before we ever saw a $4000 Fara.

Eric

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Eric,

The Vigatec costs less, can up convert progressive signals and is software updateable in the field. It also has the option of being fitted with a digital video input if required.

The only functionality issue I've come across with ours is the delay between video and audio it creates due to the nature of it's de-interlacing. This however is supposed to be less than the amount introduced by Faroudja.

I suspect the Faroudja may be better with video material but then most folk would use their projectors/scalers for viewing films on DVD most of which are sourced from film stock.

It does look interesting though. I look forward to seeing one in action.

Gordon

3. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    How is the Farouja with PAL sources? I would imagine being made for an NTSC market this would be something of an afterthought. The Vigatec, as far as I know is made very much with PAL in mind.

Gordon, How are things progressing with the show? Maybee we could see them side by side.

Cheers Rob.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Rob,

The Show is starting to prey on my mind. I'll try and send everyone out an update and post here as well.

Some other things have been forced up on me but I'm going to try and keep with it. All I'll say is that some of the folk I hoped to participate may need some encouragement. You'll see what I mean when I send out the update.

Gordon

Faroudja re-programming for another resolution =$1000......Vigatec = F.O.C.

The Rock should also be thought of as updateable. Software downloads for improved de-interlacing and hardware updateable to DVD player inc scaler spec....