• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Faroudja dvp1010 with Pioneer 506xde

Kurchatov

Banned
I'm just replacing my iscan plus with a Faroudja 1010. Source is SKyhd and Theta Carmen dvd (interlaced out). I need some advice on how to get the best out of the media box I'm stuck with on the Pioneer. The Faroudja can output up to 1080p or in a variety of resolutions.

Will the best choice be to output 1080i or 1080p dvi/hdmi to Pioneer media box, or to go into the PC input at the screen resolution which I think is 1280x760

Thanks for any help on this

David

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
720p HDMI is favoured on these boards. 1080p isn't accepted, and 1080i would involve some serious deinterlacing artefacts being reintroduced by the screen. There is VGA but I'm not 100% sure if you can get native without some tricky refresh rates - can't remember for that specific model.

Besides, the HDMI is the only HDCP compliant route into the screen. If you used VGA, you would then have to use analogue component for your Sky HD and wouldn't be able to do much with HD-DVD or Blu-Ray at a later date (which will be HDCP only).

Kurchatov

Banned
Thanks, that's helpfull.

VGA is interesting because the Faroudja seems able to give me a variety of refresh rates. If I get the right setting, will that by pass the processing in the media box?

I guess I could use a Faroudja preset for gdmi/dvi for hd-dvd and a seperate preset for the sky hd through vga (as long as hdcp is not an issue)

Maybe a bit of experimentation called for.

On the regular dvd, just component into the faroudja and then vga or dvi out.

David

NonPayingMember

Personally I'm too lazy to have an analogue AND a digital connection. The Pioneer doesn't perform as well with analogue anyway, hence most of us just use HDMI instead.

As for the refresh rate, I seem to remember someone doing it possibly with a Crystalio (maybe on the PMS forum) and your display using VGA. But I do remember that often the screen will still convert internally, and will cause you much hair-pulling trying to get it to work!!!! Plus the A-D conversion isn't hot anyway and probably induces as much noise as a 720-768 scale does on the HDMI port.

Kurchatov

Banned
Thanks, again helpfull.

Certainly just using 720p into the hdmi input sounds simplest, just accepting the inevitable rescaling/processing carried out by the Ioneer media box.

Perhaps need to get a 1080p compatible display to get the most out of the system (when they come down in price!)

David

damo_in_sale

Liam @ Prog AV said:
Well at least a display that can accept it's own resolution digitally!!!

I only know of the Pio MXE10/11's that can do this, at least at 50Hz with HDCP. Do you know of others Liam?

NonPayingMember

I didn't specify at 50Hz :D

Panasonic panels, Fujitsu panels, NEC panels, Pioneer panels all accept native resolution (albeit at 60Hz). Things like Pioneer TVs and Panasonic Vieras only work with 720p and some rescaling. So what I'm saying is whatever you do ikf you are gonna change display at least get a panel best suited for a VP!

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom