Faroudja DCDi Internals

G

GearHead

I have a Faroudja DCDi deinterlacer built into my projector (Epson TW100). When deinterlacing an analogue signal does any one know if this process is being performed against a signal in S-Video or Component format ?

In other words, if the Faroudja processor works on an S-Video signal, a component signal fed to the projector would be down converted to S-Video, whereas an S-Video input would be passed straight through. Conversly, if the Faroudja de-interlaces a component signal, the S-Video input would need to go through a conversion stage, the component input would not.

I'm just wondering if its worth investing in a quality S-Video lead on the specultion that if the Faroudja works on an S-Video signal this might give the best overall results from a Toshiba SD9000 DVD player.

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
I have been having a think about this and think you should start off with component. Cables need not be expensive. If you know you length, why not get Joe or someone knock up a 5 wire (75 ohm coax) up, 3 for component and 2 for SVideo? Van damm cable should be great. Best of both worlds.

I think Faroudja got such a mauling over this component to svideo think on their £20k scaler, they would have changed things!

L

Ludae

Originally posted by GearHead
I have a Faroudja DCDi deinterlacer built into my projector (Epson TW100). When deinterlacing an analogue signal does any one know if this process is being performed against a signal in S-Video or Component format ?

The DCDi process is only part of the de-interlacing system when the Faroudja processor is in video de-interlacing mode. It is the same whether the input signal is interlaced composite, s-video or component.

When the Faroudja processor detects a film source the DCDi feature is then only of use when bad edits or mixed mode progress/interlaced sources are detected.

G

GearHead

It is the same whether the input signal is interlaced composite, s-video or component.
So does the Faroudja "chip" have separate inputs for composite, s-video and component and handles each of those formats through separate channels (ie the chip contains a composite deinterlacer, an s-video deinterlacer and a component deinterlacer) ? Or is there only one analogue deinterlacer that operates on, say, an s-video signal and other formats are converted to this before being presented to the chip ?

If the latter. is the common format composite, s-video or component ?

R

RichardA

Just had a look at the Genesis Microchip website (who own Faroudja and Sage).

The FLi2200 (the 'DCDi' chip) has a 8/10bit YUV or RGB digital input - so it processes in true digital component 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 space - there is no downconversion to s-video.

All analogue sources will be decoded and digitised before being presented to the FLi chip.

As an aside I don't think that Faroudja ever actually down converted Component to S-Video before processing. I believe that the Component input was bandwidth filtered to the same limits as the S-Video (causing the mentioned problem) but the chip set used would have processed the signal in component digital space as it is extremely difficult to do anything sensible with a modulated signal.

Hope this helps.

G

GearHead

Richard,

That answers it. Very useful thanks. I did have a browse around the Faroudja web-site but didn't find anything as useful as this.

Allan

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom