Farcry

Just posting this here to let you all know that this is possibly the best game I've ever played and HL2 better be special to top this. To be honest I can't imagine a more gameplay experience within reason.

Some very tense moments to be had - especially in the trigen sections of the game.

Only on the 6th mission but I'm hooked, can't see me relenting till its all over and then I'll go do it all again :)

Mr_Belowski

Ace, init?

If you take your time and sneak around trying not to be seen and only spray bullets around when it's really necessary, it makes for some brilliantly tense moments. When the shooting does start you're always the underdog, which is great fun and very challenging. One minute you're creeping around in the undergrowth sizing up the situation, and 2 seconds later you're rumbled and all hell breaks loose, leaving you running away like a little girl looking for somewhere you hide :)

If you play it 'unreal tournament' style it's not quite so satisfying.

Even tho it's another 1st person shooter, it's a really nice change of pace, and looks incredible :)

N

nelly_200x

super game I had a few extra quid when I went in to buy splinter cell pt and saw this I havnt even stuck pt on yet as im hooked on this, best looking game ive seen in a while not been on multiplayer yet but it should be good fun

Hawklord

I installed this morning and have to admit it looks absolutely stunning. I'm running at 1024x768 everything maxed out (including water on ultra high) render mode set to improved too:)
AA is at medium and AF x4 and it runs real sweet. The sound is exceptional through my headphones and the weapons modelling couldn't be better.
A 1.1 version patch is out now (already) if you didn't know (about 24mb iirc) this fixes a few things but mainly the multiplayer side. If you have an nvidia card it's a must 'cause it improves the pixel shading side x2 .
I've got to the bit where you meet the guy at the end of the pier:)

any idea how many levels this game has I hope it's longer than the usual 8-10 hours recents games have given. I'll give multiplayer a go later .

see you in the killing fields hopefully. Anyone acting as a server will you post your adress or server name so we can join my game tag is usually Priv8pile..........:D

Pulsar

Guys,

I am getting back into PC gaming big time at the moment. I have played some of the Far Cry demo, but didn't like it too much, found it a bit buggy, is the full game better?

Also, where is the best (read cheapest) place to get it from?

Cheers

Rob

Hawklord

Originally posted by Pulsar
Guys,

I am getting back into PC gaming big time at the moment. I have played some of the Far Cry demo, but didn't like it too much, found it a bit buggy, is the full game better?

Also, where is the best (read cheapest) place to get it from?

Cheers

Rob

Not buggy atall here:)
All the eye candy is optimised for the retail version and is stunning. Sp is very atmospheric and well executed imo. Yet to try multiplayer so can't coment on that.
You'll have to have a high end pc to get the most out of this game though imo.:devil:

Pulsar

Hawlord,

Cheers for that. My PC is quite fast, with an Athlon XP overclocked to an equivelant XP 3400, ultra quick corsair RAM and a Radeon 9700. Only need to run at 1024*768 for the HS10 to do its business.

Cheers

Rob

P.S Where did you buy it?

Hawklord

Here's a screen shot I have just took (only allowed a small pic I'm afraid):-:eek:

Attachments

• farcrypic.jpg
    farcrypic.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 413

Pulsar

Cheers for the pic, and info.

I can wait a few weeks till it is a bit cheaper, and enjoy UT2004 (hopefuly)

Cheers

Rob

Hawklord

anyone up for a game of multiplayer?

I'm just about to set a server up called "Priv8pile's obstacle course" if your interested:)

tony kop77

I am stuck in the gane early on. I need to find a boat and the only one I can see is the one on the island bottom of the hill where you collect the binoculars from the hut.
I go in the boat pressed the use key but nothing happend.

WOULD I BE CORRECT IN THINKING THAT I WOULD NEED A DVD DRIVE TO RUN THIS GAME??????

J

Jason Jackson

Originally posted by crazzy kopite
I am stuck in the gane early on. I need to find a boat and the only one I can see is the one on the island bottom of the hill where you collect the binoculars from the hut.
I go in the boat pressed the use key but nothing happend.

When you press the use key that should put you in the boat - then use your normal movement keys to control the boat ie wasd.

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
indeed Hawklord - i've like only had one in my computer for 5 years and now they start bringing games out on them. I guess that's the main problems with PC's...the games manufacturers always have to cater for the less well equiped gamer so that actually fully utilising new technology (i.e. latest graphics cards, 64 bit processors, DVD drives etc) takes years to filter through.

ted26

Havent enjoyed a game so much in a long time :)

But has anyone noticed the game slows down when your in the thick jungle ?

Xp 2800 with a radeon 9800 pro, Game set to max !

Should i change any settings ?

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
I'm quite disappointed with the performance on my PC to be honest, 9800pro, P4 2.8Ghz, when I do an auto detect it sets everything to very high except texture quality which it sets to medium (not sure why). On those settings it's pretty jerky especially when things start kicking off! I'm sure it should be better than it is but don't know where the problem lies, perhaps 512MB ram?

Andy

ted26

So why does mine set to medium on most settings when i auto detect?

1 gig of ram,athlon 2800,radeon 9800 pro!

strange :confused:

What result do you lot get when using 3Dmark03?

Hawklord

I have an xp2700+ and a 9700 pro and I can have everything maxed out at a res of 1024x768 with everything running smoothly. Far cry is very memory hungry using anything up to about 950MB of memory so if you've got 512mb it'll stutter constantly as the game accesses data from your hard drive.
Memory is quite cheap so i'd buy another 512mb if you can:)
If I auto detect it sets everything at medium so I had a play until I was happy with it ending up being configured as above.

rob j

I'm looking really forward to getting this delivered.

Judging some of these post I'm considering upgrading my current 512mb RAM, call me stupid but how do I go about this?!

Not really one to tinker with inside of PC's until now, but I guess I'll have to! :zonked:

Currently got

P4 2.8Ghz HT,
128mb Radeon 9800
512mb DDR RAM

What do I do? Just buy another 512mb or 1024mb (If at a decent price) and bung it in, or do I have to buy a certain type or brand? :confused:

Oh, and where's the best place to buy it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
Yeah upgrading memory is pretty easy these days. It comes in various qualities and speeds and it's generally a good idea to get a similar memory speed to what you already have.

Generally this will be either PC2100 (266mhz), PC2700 (333mhz), PC3200 (400mhz) in speed. Also dependent on the quality it will have a certain Cas latency (which is like a response time) of 2-3 ms - obviously the better the Cas latency the faster the memory responds and the better it is.

Go for a good brand name such as Corsair or Crucial and you should be ok:) . When you get the memory hyst open up your PC and slot it into a spare DIMM slot (there's usually 3 or 4 of them tight together and you will obviously already have 1 DIMM in one of the for you current 512 of ram. The memory instructions will tell you how to install it (usually just push it in and secure the clips these days). Turn on your PC and the memory should auto recognise at the POST screen and your away!

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
But I currently have 2 sticks of 256MB to take advantage of the dual channel performance gains, I take it I'll have to thrown mine out and get 2 sticks of 512MB RAM then i.e. I can't just add a 512MB stick to my current 2 sticks of 256MB each?
I don't know why there should be a difference when using auto detect but like I said mine sets everything to very high expect the texture quality, perhaps that's only set to medium because of the 512MB ram? I'd hate to fork out for the 1GB of RAM if it's not gonna be smooth after that, I have a sneaky suspicion something else is holding it back but I'm not sure what.
As for PC Mark 03, I seem to remember getting about 6200 odd, can't remember exactly, I'll run it again tonight..

Cheers,
Andy.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T/9x Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense announces US TV and soundbar ranges for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 5th May 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AVForums Movies Podcast: 4th May 2021