Farcry...what next?

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Having been addicted to Fallout for years, I struggled to find another game that I really enjoyed. I liked the tomb raider games and then farcry was recommended. I’m now totally addicted to that, however I’ve played and completed 3, 4, Primal, 5 plus infamous mode and now I’ve just finished New Dawn. With 6 not out yet, what else should I play along the fallout and farcry lines?
Any recommendations?

King Tones

Distinguished Member
If you've enjoyed the Far Cry Games then maybe the Sniper Elite Games. It is more structured than far cry as you have levels/maps but you can take each mission how you want be it all guns blazing or slow and stealthy sniping everyone. They are 3rd person but obviously 1st person when sniping. For me they are great games and if you enjoy th.thrn you could always give the Zombie Army games a go which is a spin off of Sniper Elite games.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Its hard from what you said to make a recommendation because you've gone from an RPG to an open world shooter that are quite different games in style and scope.

How about the Witcher 3? Or give Cyberpunk a whirl (I know controversial but on Series X I think its a great game). I assume you've played Skyrim?

For something a bit different how about Doom Eternal? Very different game to what you've played but its really really fun as an FPS. Or the Wolfenstein games - the newer ones. All on gamepass if you have that.

Far cry after 3/4 is very different in tone so its hard to know what to recommend - just cause is probably not that different to far cry 5 in tone so give those games a try maybe?

New Far Cry isn't far away but it looks a bit pants if you ask me.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
If you've enjoyed the Far Cry Games then maybe the Sniper Elite Games. It is more structured than far cry as you have levels/maps but you can take each mission how you want be it all guns blazing or slow and stealthy sniping everyone. They are 3rd person but obviously 1st person when sniping. For me they are great games and if you enjoy th.thrn you could always give the Zombie Army games a go which is a spin off of Sniper Elite games.
I tried one of those that was available on game pass and didn't like it. It didn't flow very well, but not sure what version I played. It seemed you were set up as a sniper, but a sniper rifle couldn't kill the enemies very easily and the other weapons and shooting physics was a bit poor.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Its hard from what you said to make a recommendation because you've gone from an RPG to an open world shooter that are quite different games in style and scope.

How about the Witcher 3? Or give Cyberpunk a whirl (I know controversial but on Series X I think its a great game). I assume you've played Skyrim?

For something a bit different how about Doom Eternal? Very different game to what you've played but its really really fun as an FPS. Or the Wolfenstein games - the newer ones. All on gamepass if you have that.

Far cry after 3/4 is very different in tone so its hard to know what to recommend - just cause is probably not that different to far cry 5 in tone so give those games a try maybe?

New Far Cry isn't far away but it looks a bit pants if you ask me.
What do you mean? Fallout and Farcry are both open world games, and both very similar.
I didn't think I'd find a better game than Fallout, but Farcry is all the best things of Fallout while keeping it more real in terms of humans and more realistic damage (mostly).

I haven't tried Cyberpunk, but I've only got an XB1S. Does that make any difference?
I've not tried Skyrim, Red Dead, Witcher. Are they good?

I've played and completed the Doom games, and while it was mostly enjoyable, they are too repetitive.
Also played the Wolfenstein games. I liked those. I really want another open world type game with no strict storyline so I can wander about doing side missions etc as well.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I should add, I tried Outworlds (or whatever it was called) and didn't like that.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Witcher 3 will be your best bet I reckon, it's a fantasy game so it's swords and spells but a huge open world with a lot of depth.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
I tried one of those that was available on game pass and didn't like it. It didn't flow very well, but not sure what version I played. It seemed you were set up as a sniper, but a sniper rifle couldn't kill the enemies very easily and the other weapons and shooting physics was a bit poor.

Might be worth giving it another go, Sniper Elite 4 is on GamesPass.
The 1st level will be a training level, you want to go for headshots or shooting stuff to explode next to the enemy or drop stuff on them. Coming from Far Cry the gun play might be weird but stick with it for a level or 2 and you might get into it I reckon. Once you upgrade weapons you can have an SMG and Sniper and then play how you want. I like sneaky sneaky and headshots.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Witcher 3 will be your best bet I reckon, it's a fantasy game so it's swords and spells but a huge open world with a lot of depth.
Hmm, open world yes, swords and spells, not sure. I think I prefer realism to fantasy in games.
I'd say the top 3 games that I can remember liking the most are Fallout, FarCry and Tomb Raider.
I've gone right off the CoD style games as there is too much "noise" in them now.
I used to love the original Splinter Cell games where it was all based on stealth and weapons were a secondary thing.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Might be worth giving it another go, Sniper Elite 4 is on GamesPass.
The 1st level will be a training level, you want to go for headshots or shooting stuff to explode next to the enemy or drop stuff on them. Coming from Far Cry the gun play might be weird but stick with it for a level or 2 and you might get into it I reckon. Once you upgrade weapons you can have an SMG and Sniper and then play how you want. I like sneaky sneaky and headshots.
Can you headshot anyone? That's one thing that annoyed me with FarCry, if a guy was wearing goggles or a helmet, a .50 cal headshot didn't kill him.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Hmm, open world yes, swords and spells, not sure. I think I prefer realism to fantasy in games.
I'd say the top 3 games that I can remember liking the most are Fallout, FarCry and Tomb Raider.
I've gone right off the CoD style games as there is too much "noise" in them now.
I used to love the original Splinter Cell games where it was all based on stealth and weapons were a secondary thing.

Prey, Halo or Outriders all on GamesPass. Not open world but decent shooters imo

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Can you headshot anyone? That's one thing that annoyed me with FarCry, if a guy was wearing goggles or a helmet, a .50 cal headshot didn't kill him.

Most enemies I believe yes, there might be some elite type enemies but most you can headshot you do just have to get the timing right I think. It's far superior sniping wise than Far Cry.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Prey, Halo or Outriders all on GamesPass. Not open world but decent shooters imo
Played all the Halo games. Used to love them, not so much any more.
Will check out Prey and Outriders. I played a game recently that I can't remember, but you got extra powers as the game went on, drawn from the underworld or something. Ok to start but got too samey.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Played all the Halo games. Used to love them, not so much any more.
Will check out Prey and Outriders. I played a game recently that I can't remember, but you got extra powers as the game went on, drawn from the underworld or something. Ok to start but got too samey.

That's Outriders I think. I enjoyed it and ploughed through the SP.

Division might be another game to look at.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
That's Outriders I think. I enjoyed it and ploughed through the SP.

Division might be another game to look at.
Nope, just checked and its not that. Is that online only?
This one you could extend something out of your arm to climb tall buildings or drag people to you. It was black. Think it had something to do with Nazis maybe?!

Is Division online only? I don't do online gaming.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
What do you mean? Fallout and Farcry are both open world games, and both very similar.
I didn't think I'd find a better game than Fallout, but Farcry is all the best things of Fallout while keeping it more real in terms of humans and more realistic damage (mostly).

I haven't tried Cyberpunk, but I've only got an XB1S. Does that make any difference?
I've not tried Skyrim, Red Dead, Witcher. Are they good?

I've played and completed the Doom games, and while it was mostly enjoyable, they are too repetitive.
Also played the Wolfenstein games. I liked those. I really want another open world type game with no strict storyline so I can wander about doing side missions etc as well.
I mean Fallout and Far Cry really aren't the same IMO. Fallout is an RPG with lots of complex systems and a relatively dark tone. Far Cry is a bombastic just shoot everything you see type of game.

If you love just open world craziness then try some just cause. Its 3rd person open world huge explosions type stuff. Not particularly story focussed.

If you like open world then the assassins creed games are good nowadays but they are huge and take a long time to complete.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I mean Fallout and Far Cry really aren't the same IMO. Fallout is an RPG with lots of complex systems and a relatively dark tone. Far Cry is a bombastic just shoot everything you see type of game.

If you love just open world craziness then try some just cause. Its 3rd person open world huge explosions type stuff. Not particularly story focussed.

If you like open world then the assassins creed games are good nowadays but they are huge and take a long time to complete.
I'll check out Just Cause. Do they need to be played in order? Are the earlier ones worth playing?

I used to love Assassins Creed, then they went downhill, but heard that got better again.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I’ve ordered Just Cause 3 with free downloadable Just Cause 2. Reading up it suggests 2 is the earliest one to bother with, so want to start with that instead of doing what I did with FarCry and start with 5 first then go backwards.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Thanks for all the suggestions.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I played the originals of those. Are they still making them?

RandomLee

Distinguished Member
The Division games are two of my all time favourites. The setting and atmosphere is amazing, and the shooting mechanics are great too. Your console has to be online to play, but you can play the whole story campaign solo.

Ghost Recon Wildlands and Breakpoint are definitely worth playing too (especially Wildlands). As mentioned above they're similar to FC (raiding outposts and bases stealthily or guns blazing etc), albeit in 3rd person.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Just started the Just Cause franchise. Not a patch on Far Cry.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Philips unveils A7507 TWS headphones and new rugged outdoor speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips FB1 soundbar will use Fidelio wireless platform
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips announces OLED807 and 8807 The One TVs for 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lenco launches 400 series turntable and speaker combo