1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FarCrap

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by harrisuk, Apr 19, 2004.

1. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well finally got this from dvd.co.uk. I have to say ubi have really done a job on this one.

First of all you cant play this game if you have ANY DVD authoring or region fix software installed on you pc. Not just Instant Copy and DVD decryper. My version of Nero does dvd copies, guess what, wont run.

So I have to uninstall all my authoring software which I use, major hastle and it still wont run. Its going on about not being able to find fonts in the install directory.

What an absolute joke. Game looks great but does not look like I will be playing it.

:mad:

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I have dvd region free on my pc.. works fine.... and there are ways around the need for a disc in the pc ;)

Matt

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I don't know why they go overboard on copy protection as it doesn't take long for the hacking comunity to find a work around. The only thing it appears to do is give loads of hassle to us poor punters who buy and use the sofware legaly. If anything I think it's making piracy more popular and alienating the people who aquire software in the correct way buy purchasing it:(

I hope you do get to play the game as it's a real corker and deserves every gamers attention. It's breathed new life into the fps genre imo:)

4. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well so do I. Its just crashing now. I dont know whats the point in buying originals when you get this much hastle :mad:

5. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    mmmmmm £30-40 for a pc game original
    £5 off dodgy m8
    i know which i prefer

6. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Got most DVD authoring (DVD Decp'tr - DVD Shrink - Nero ) software on my machine, FC runs like a dream with everything maxed out.......................... lovely. :thumbsup:

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    I really don't know why games cost so much these days...surely it's counter productive in terms of sales. If new games were £15-£20 then I would buy stacks more. As it is, even though i'm on a reasonable income, I still have to be careful which games I buy and tend to pass on quite a lot of games I would otherwise buy if they were cheaper.

They say it's because they must recoup the development costs but this should inspire them to reduce prices not keep them high. I would say that the majority of people who do buy pirated games would prefer to buy the originals if they were cheaper. People like me (who don't buy pirated games) would also buy more titles if they were cheaper. I would say that a 33% reduction in prices would probably generate at around 50% more sales. The games themselves cost virtually nothing to make being on cd/dvd and being mass produced.

So i'd say reducing prices would significantly reduce pirating (the main threat to the software industry), increase the populatity and stature of gaming even further as an entertainment medium and probably result in increased profits for the games companies and retailers as well. It's not fair to compare games prices to DVD prices as films generate a great deal of their profits from cinema box offices. If you think though to buy a DVD is around £15 and a cinema ticket is around £5 so £20ish for a game seems reasonable i'd say.

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Got it working and it looks great. However I have had to uninstall every piece of authoring software on my machine to get it working.

I much prefer buying the originals and it was only £17 delivered. But come on chaps what a farse. It even warns you in the insturctions the copy protection software will not let it work with certain DVD copying software on your P.c.

Not impressed.

9. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    It doesn't matter how you look at the subject of pirate software: there is absolutely no moral, legal, or financial argument for getting pirate software. Maybe it's me being having "good old fashioned principles", here, but a lot of people have put a lot of work into a game and by getting pirate software tou are doing their efforts a disservice.
    The fact pirate software costs less is besides the point, frankly. Look at farcry - £17 for a 10-12 hour game is remarkable value for money compared to other media like dvd's music or cinema. Even at £25 a game is still good value and therefore cost has nothing to do with piracy.

Just my opinion.

Russell

10. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Im not condoning piracy. I bought the original and have been penalised for for doing so. It would have been alot easier to get a pirate copy working on my P.C simple fact.

This thread is having a go at their crap copy protection which has caused me and countless other gamers major hastle. You shoudlnt have to go to all this bother to install and play a original game, unistalling multiple applications to get it to work.

Ubisoft are getting really bad press on this issue if you look around the net. This is a shame as the game is great.

Dont like the multiplayer though. Way to slow.

11. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    same here

12. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well you are lucky then. Many Many people have had serious problems. I might be the combo of what I had installed.

It plays great now but I have had to uninstall a ruck load of applications to get it working.

No acceptable really but I want to play it.

13. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    So there is a financial motivation ;)

Sorry, nothing to do with the argument in hand I just don't like overly general statements :)

14. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    Same here, got dvd decrypter, dvd shrink, anydvd on my PC and had no problems running it at all..

Cheers
    andy

15. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    You must just be really unlucky Harris. I also had a few authoring progs on and no issue raised with them at all.
    I got this game mainly for the multiplayer aspect and as mentioned above already, found it very jerky and not much fun but boy i am enjoying the single player campaign for a change. Just been flying round in a hang glider, sooo coool.

Panic

16. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    The only app FarCry had a problem with on my machine was clonecd.
    As I haven't used it for about 14 months I just uninstalled it : Far Cry installed fine after this.

I also have dvdcrypter and regionkiller on the machine as wellas some authoring tolls and they are not a problem.