Far Cry Vengeance

holden

Established Member
Reaction score
I know this game has had poor reviews (largely due to graphics) but I would still like to get a copy. Only trouble is - when.

I popped into my local woolworths today, and there it was on the shelf. When I got to the counter they were unable to find (why do stores put out empty boxes when they do not have the item in stock?- its so annoying!).

Anyway, Game states that it will be relased on the 12th Jan, Play on the 5th Jan and Nintendo say Dec 2006.

So if anyone is more the wiser please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know when its coming out but I wouldn't let graphics bother you. People just have to face reality that the wii isn't technically that powerful. There still seems to be a certain percentage of people in denial about this but every bit of real evidence shows that the wii visually can't compete with the original xbox let alone the 360. Considering its very easy to develop for and wii(modified gamecube) development kits have been with software companies for a long time it is performing as expected. People talk about hidden features and functionality but the reality seems to be its a gamecube which is 50% faster with bolts on. Even the additional 64MEG of memory is an afterthought it seems with it hidden away on the bottom of the PCB and its DDR memory instead of the 1t-ram.

Anyway my point is many people still seem to be surprised how poor visually Wii games are. My question is why?

The reality is there will be games in the future that look like wii Far Cry and are visually disappointing too because that is the reality.

People complain about my posts because I repeat the same old information but at least I'm factually correct. There are loads of people repeating the same crap that there is somehow going to be a second phaze of wii games that can take on the 360 visually and that is often repeated and of course pure rubbish.

The new Metroid Prime game should indicate the maximum performance of the wii. The original MP game maxed out the gamecube visually and nothing beat it since (Resident Evil is a much more limited game engine even if visually nicer). So we should look to that to see the maximum performance of wii.

MP3 looks visually identical to MP1&2 IMO.

From what I've seen it looks slightly better. To be honest this is exactly what I'm expecting, a marginal increase in detail on screen. However what can't be seen by looking at screenshots and short movies is an increase in level size thanks to an extra 64MEG of memory. However when you think about it going from 640x480 to 720x480 resolution in itself creates greater demand on the system as does the new controller. So there is nothing surprising here for me.

Graphics are just relatively are they not? If the graphics were done to a high level given the wii specs then they wouldn't have been slated for being terrible.

launch date was set back a month because of production problems.
5th Jan apparently

From what I understand the power of the wii has nothing to do with why the graphics on far cry were slated it's basically a really poor rush job which looks about the same as an N64 game!
I think we should all stay away from shoddy games like this otherwise companies will just churn out any old tat and expect it to sell.:thumbsdow

I would of only bought farcry if it was better than the pc version which i knew it was never gonna be! So im glad to stay clear of it. I hated the xbox and 360 versions of farcry. I dont think any version beats the original pc one!

I don't know when its coming out but I wouldn't let graphics bother you. People just have to face reality that the wii isn't technically that powerful. There still seems to be a certain percentage of people in denial about this but every bit of real evidence shows that the wii visually can't compete with the original xbox let alone the 360. Considering its very easy to develop for and wii(modified gamecube) development kits have been with software companies for a long time it is performing as expected. People talk about hidden features and functionality but the reality seems to be its a gamecube which is 50% faster with bolts on. Even the additional 64MEG of memory is an afterthought it seems with it hidden away on the bottom of the PCB and its DDR memory instead of the 1t-ram.

Anyway my point is many people still seem to be surprised how poor visually Wii games are. My question is why?

The reality is there will be games in the future that look like wii Far Cry and are visually disappointing too because that is the reality.

People complain about my posts because I repeat the same old information but at least I'm factually correct. There are loads of people repeating the same crap that there is somehow going to be a second phaze of wii games that can take on the 360 visually and that is often repeated and of course pure rubbish.

The new Metroid Prime game should indicate the maximum performance of the wii. The original MP game maxed out the gamecube visually and nothing beat it since (Resident Evil is a much more limited game engine even if visually nicer). So we should look to that to see the maximum performance of wii.

You are expecting the maximum performance of a console to be shown mere months afer it's release? Modified Gamecube or not, that's utter nonsense

You are expecting the maximum performance of a console to be shown mere months afer it's release? Modified Gamecube or not, that's utter nonsense

Actually yes, I'm expecting performance relatively high to its maximum considering its so similar to gamecube and the gamecube is known to be simple to develop for. The wii is not in the same camp as ps2 or ps3 which were very hard to develop for. The wii is like the xbox a relatively clean design with no major problems in design that require working around. If Far Cry was isolated fair enough but all wii games are performing in the same ballpark as gamecube and just below xbox. If you take an average of the performance of all wii launch games on a technical level your at near gamecube performance. In fact if you think about the best performing wii titles again they are gamecube level there abouts.

If you look at the original gamecube the early releases to the last releases were not dramatically different in performance and this time round programmers are already familar with the wii architecture because its identical to the gamecube except its 50% faster and they can access a bank of 64MEG extra memory.

From what I read in NGamer, Metroid's visuals have come on "leaps and bounds" since the E3 build of the game.

And this has exactly what to do with the origonal post? :boring: :spam:

Spam is a bit harsh but it's certainly pointless drivel. Far Cry will be an exception unless theres another case of producers seeing a failed project in front of them and think whatever lets release it anyway.

Red Steel and Zelda look perfectly fine for my eyes. Graphics is not just the issue with Far Cry it's a generally disappointing game in all incomplete departments.

its identical to the gamecube except its 50% faster and they can access a bank of 64MEG extra memory.

the only comparison going round atm for the Wii and GC is Zelda which is plain wrong, ZTP was written for the GC and just straight ported to the Wii with the new control method, no visuals were updated what so ever but yet most people seem to compare them and decide the wii is no different to a GC.
This picture for example, we are looking at a GC last gen game and a Wii first gen game. The differences here are not possible with another 64mb and a 50% sped increase, these are new effects.
Wii on top and GC at bottom

The Wii still has a lot of similar GC hardware and yes of course developers will "do what they know" for now, but in time you will see the new lighting effects and other capabilities come out more often.

So would anyone like to discuss the original posters questions, or just keep this thread rolling as yet another dull and repetetive "discussion" about how much the Wii can handle?

Sad to see more insults and pathetic jibes just because I make realistic points about the wii hardware and people take this as some sort of personal insult. We shall see how much better wii games get. They obviously will be visually better with 64meg and 50% more power but nothing beyond this. As for new lighting effects built into wii I can find no source for this and why would they? They keep everything the same but take the time to just amend the gpu ever so slightly with a few extra features. I think the reality is going from a 162mhz gpu to a 243mhz gpu allows lighting effects that weren't possible before. The video memory is still 2meg and the texture cache is 1meg which is the real reason nintendo can't support hdtv even for more basic games because video memory is so low. Its a bit like religion you throw all the facts at someone and they might not have a single argument against each one but they believe because they want to believe and thats that.

Anyway I still say MP3 will probably be the pinnacle of wii visuals because they were so brilliant on gamecube. So when we see some final release visuals for that game we know what to expect of the wii for the duration of its life there abouts. That isn't a critiscism of the wii in anyway as I've seen some mp3 screens and they definitely look enhanced over gamecube with more floor detail and some impressive background detail. The creatures still look a bit poor but maybe thats the last thing they will be improving.

Sad to see more insults and pathetic jibes just because I make realistic points about the wii hardware and people take this as some sort of personal insult. We shall see how much better wii games get. They obviously will be visually better with 64meg and 50% more power but nothing beyond this. As for new lighting effects built into wii I can find no source for this and why would they? They keep everything the same but take the time to just amend the gpu ever so slightly with a few extra features. I think the reality is going from a 162mhz gpu to a 243mhz gpu allows lighting effects that weren't possible before. The video memory is still 2meg and the texture cache is 1meg which is the real reason nintendo can't support hdtv even for more basic games because video memory is so low. Its a bit like religion you throw all the facts at someone and they might not have a single argument against each one but they believe because they want to believe and thats that.

Anyway I still say MP3 will probably be the pinnacle of wii visuals because they were so brilliant on gamecube. So when we see some final release visuals for that game we know what to expect of the wii for the duration of its life there abouts. That isn't a critiscism of the wii in anyway as I've seen some mp3 screens and they definitely look enhanced over gamecube with more floor detail and some impressive background detail. The creatures still look a bit poor but maybe thats the last thing they will be improving.

Thing is though you keep constantly repeating your posts in all these threads and ramming specs down peoples throats til the cows come home! People aint interested in GPUs and other tech notes on performance. I wouldnt mind but you act as if your an experienced games developer with your statements!
People just want answers in plain english and everyone of your posts make it look like your just copying and pasting info from a tech site you have bookmarked!
Pc chat is a place for all things technical! The average gamer just wants to know how good the games are to play and what people think of the controller!
Not constant jibes on it being 50% faster or it being an "accelerated" gamecube! Do you know this? Did you personally foresee the wii development from start to finish? How do you know that MP3 will be the pinnacle in terms of graphical achievement? You dont know any of this!
Sure in this forum people can have negative and positive slants on all things nintendo but when there so blatantly repeated on a daily basis then its no wonder you start to isolate yourself from other gamers that frequent this forum. You sound like you need to unwind! Why not have some fun and actually start making some posts about what you kind of do like about the wii!
You have said yourself you are a nintendo fan but i really really do find that hard to believe when i take a look back at your post history!

Thing is though you keep constantly repeating your posts in all these threads and ramming specs down peoples throats til the cows come home! People aint interested in GPUs and other tech notes on performance. I wouldnt mind but you act as if your an experienced games developer with your statements!
People just want answers in plain english and everyone of your posts make it look like your just copying and pasting info from a tech site you have bookmarked!
Pc chat is a place for all things technical! The average gamer just wants to know how good the games are to play and what people think of the controller!
Not constant jibes on it being 50% faster or it being an "accelerated" gamecube! Do you know this? Did you personally foresee the wii development from start to finish? How do you know that MP3 will be the pinnacle in terms of graphical achievement? You dont know any of this!
Sure in this forum people can have negative and positive slants on all things nintendo but when there so blatantly repeated on a daily basis then its no wonder you start to isolate yourself from other gamers that frequent this forum. You sound like you need to unwind! Why not have some fun and actually start making some posts about what you kind of do like about the wii!
You have said yourself you are a nintendo fan but i really really do find that hard to believe when i take a look back at your post history!

:clap: Well Said! :thumbsup:

I would have thought that was obvious,

He was right though, it had nothing to do with the original post. If an xbox 360 game was slated for having bad graphics would that warrant a long winded post about the machine or would you just accept that the particular game had bad graphics?

I would have thought that was obvious, I was just making the point lower your expectations.

The only thing you saw in the original post was "bad graphics". You didnt bother reading the rest of the post, you just saw that as an iresistable chance to slate the hardware. Do you think we are all unaware that it is just a slightly upgraded GC? or do you think we need reminding in every...single... thread?

We KNOW ok?

The original post was about release dates, not about how much technoram a gigawhat can shift in a teraflop.

He was right though, it had nothing to do with the original post. If an xbox 360 game was slated for having bad graphics would that warrant a long winded post about the machine or would you just accept that the particular game had bad graphics?

The xbox 360 is capable of superb graphics so it would be pretty pointless commenting on the hardware for one game especially when most games are graphically excellent. Far Cry may be the worst example of wii graphics but its not exactly isolated in the fact that just about all wii games are visually somewhere between gc and xbox. To be perfectly honest if the gamecube had, had a version of far cry like the wii I would have been half tempted to buy it as I love far cry.

People might be annoyed with me for repeating wii spec issues but from my perspective fanboys who live in a dream world of their own are also annoying. The same happened with the ps2, the fanboys went on about how amazing it was and how many polygons it could generate but the reality was very different from its mediocre mips core to the lack of texture compression the ps2 had many issues and was major hassle for the developer. It seemed for about 12 months the ps2 fanboys lived in a dream world stating how things were going to change and newer games were going to exploit the hardware. It never happened. Just about every game compared badly to the xbox version visually and where the ps2 managed to perform quite well it took major development time and money. Games like Return to Castle Wolfenstein took only 2 weeks to get a fast working engine on xbox but many months and a far larger development team on ps2. Unreal again took only a few weeks to get working on dc but the ps2 version was again months and was still slower than dc. However at least the ps2 was going to improve as developers learnt the hardware thats not going to happen much with wii because theres nothing really new to learn except how to perfect the routines for the new controller.

Exactly. If anyones in denial it is him. Honestly sometimes I think he works for Sony or MS. I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting sick and tired of his constant negativity and ridiculous comments. It's not hard to realize that most of the launch games were rushed and that it does take time for developers to get the most out of the system. You just have to look at the Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube games that came out late in their life cycle.

The Wii has the potential too be as good as the original Xbox but just hasn't shown it yet. I do agree that the Wii should be a complement to the Xbox 360 or PS3 and seen as an alternative. The PS3 and Xbox 360 provide the graphical and sound power whilsst the Wii is about fun entertaining game play especially when it comes to multiplayer.

Here here !!! Well said.

Although I do think that trying to makde him listen is more like trying to get blood out of a stone. I haven't said it before he really annoys me with his constant drivel. Having negative views is one thing as people are entitled to voice their opions regardless of what they may be. However he just goes too far and it's getting really boring reading the same thing over and over again.

What annoys me is pathetic fanboys who totally lack any sort of intellect but still dare form their own opinions. Ok coming into a nintendo forum obviously means I'm going to encounter nintendo fanboys and they are going to get upset at negative nintendo comments especially those who are 13 or so or have a mental age around that. However I'm not in denial about anything. The xbox launched with Halo which is generally regarded to be performing near its maximum performance. The wii is a slightly faster gamecube with a bolt on 64meg of memory. You'd have to be a vegetable to pretend that there is some great learning curve to programming it compared to gamecube. You only have to look at the reviews and information about the spec available to realise what the wii is capable of. Its not exactly rocket science is it? So if you program the wii poorly you end up with a game that looks sub ps2 like far cry. If you program a wii game at a decent level you get just above gc performance and if you really go for it you end up with something that might just match xbox or just go beyond it. Not that we have seen anything that goes beyond xbox performance yet but allowing for later more optimised code it seems possible.

Anyway a year from now when the dust has settled we will know the reality of what the wii is capable of and we can look back on the posts here and see who are the total vegetables living in a dream world of their own and who actually has a clue about reality.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom