1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Far Cry: Lack Of Save Games

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Rasczak, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Apologies - this post is a rant but it will make me feel better.

Does anyone else feel frustrated/annoyed by the inability to save game at the precise point of your choosing in games such as Far Cry and Halo? I am slowly working my through the former at present and it is driving me :mad: :mad: :mad:

Some might argue that limiting the save game opportunities creates atmosphere. In some instances I agree entirely with that - an example of where this is well done is the original Aliens Versus Predator - but in games such as Far Cry and Halo it more frequently ruins gameplay as opposed to improves it.

An example of what I'm talking about: I finally managed to complete the 'Rebellion' level of Far Cry today - it took me around two weekends - not because it was particularly hard but because I was threaders of loading the last save, having to trudge the equivalent of a mile to where I needed to be only to be hit by a stray bullet and have to do it all again. And again...and again...and again...and again :suicide: Where is the fun in that? Countless other Far Cry examples can be given - for example the save immeditaely prior to flooding the chamber in 'Cooler': flood the chamber, hear the same phrase, swim to the top, crawl through the pipework (slowly) and then fight the rocket monster in an enclosed space, die and then do it all again...and again...and again :suicide: :suicide: You get my point? Does anyone actually enjoy such repetition? :confused:

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,736
    Not really, makes you try harder imho....

3. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    im one of the few who like little saves as possible. cracks me up when people kill a gurard save then kill and nother then save etc etc. i loved far cry thought it was excellent but having to die and troll back miles made me want to complete it more. FYI you can pull the console down in far cry using ` and then there is a command to save when ever you want. you will have to find this out yourself as ive never used it but know of it

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Isn't that what the 'hard' setting is for?

5. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    depends on your level of skill i suppose.

6. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    if i remember rightly (it's a while since i played but think it is far cry)if you press the tab key or the one above it? a screen appears with a list of commands.scroll down the list and there is a save game option hit return and you can save whenever you like then hit the same key you used to bring up screen and you are back to game.
    if you go past the save game don't carry on to try and get back to it, just shut screen and start again it's quicker

7. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Agree totally. This part of the game really emphasised the lack of save games for me.

It was the same case with Rainbow Six 3 on the Xbox - you'd complete a particularly difficult area and end up with no energy/ammo, and then it would save your game, ready for the next area.

8. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    if you press the key to bring up the console, i think it's the ` next to 1 and type \save_game it will, er.. save the game. right where you are. yay!

9. RumbleBee

RumbleBee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Far Cry auto saves prior to every battle anyway.
    I'm 2/3rds of the way through the game and have been killed ****loads, but you rarely go back far.

I think a quick save feature would be welcomed but Far Cry's autosaves are frequent enough anyway.

Can't comment on Halo

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,005
    I do not know about this game but some time you like to try something out and go back later and do it an other way.

11. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081

hell yeah! sometimes i'll get all the way through a section, then replay it cos i wanna do it without being spotted :rotfl:

12. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,005
    I also like to reply some scenes like in Thief II where you come across two rival factions having an argument about the lady of one house; it goes on for about 3 minutes and is quite funny.

13. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I am really enjoying Far Cry and I must admit that although annoying, the lack of an easily accessible quick save button does add to the sense of satisfaction when you do finally complete a tough section.

It's one of those rare games that has seemingly impossible missions that through enough practice and lateral thinking becomes possible.

One question though:

I have a Logitech cordless optical mouse that works well apart from the scroll wheel doesn't activate the zoom function on rifles with sniper scopes.

I've tried reassigning it and changing scroll speed and page size but nothing works.
    Come to that there seem to be no keys on the keyboard that allow zooming either. The manual says + and - but that doesn't seem to work on my set up.

Any ideas?

14. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    if you have a logitech mouse, i believe you have to change the "action" of the mouse wheel button to "middle mouse button" or something along those lines for it to work. If it's set to be that annoying logitech menu or double click or anything like that, the whole mouse wheel refuses to work..

15. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Have you installed the correct drivers for the mouse? Without these you'll find it hard to configure the mouse how you wish;)
    I've recently bought am MX1000 lazer and can thoroughly recomend it if your looking to upgrade.:thumbsup: