Far Cry (Final)

B

betamac

Well been playing this all day and its quite easily one of the best games i ever played, the graphics are jawdropping (and i only have a DX8 Ti4200 using medium detail lol) cant wait to run on Very High detail, The guns look and sound great, the AI is the best in any game i have played to date, the enermies really do try and flush you out as a team, also if your hiding in a bush they dont see you until there right on top of you, you can hear them walking around trying to look for you. there loads of little touches like that.

Cant believe this game started of as a tech demo for nvidia built from the ground up by a totally unknown company, reminds me of Valve when they shocked everyone with Half life,

Whats everyone else think?

P.S runs nicely on my XP2400, 512MB Ram Ti4200 128MB card at 1024x768 with medium detail

Hard to believe but until the weekend I had never even heard of it, then I saw people posting about the game then I downloaded the trailers, cant wait to get it now. Just hope my system can handle it, do you know what the minimum and maximum system requirements are, I have Athlon XP 2800+, 512MB DDR and 128MB ATi Radeon 9500/9700, you think that will handle it without too much lag as Battlefield Vietnam is being very choppy and taking ages to load and its only set to Medium at 800x600, hopefully the extra 512MB DDR I bought last night will help.

If i can run at medium detail you should be able to run at High detail with those specs, not sure on Very high, although i would get latest Cats as there was some probs with ATI cards on the demo,

I hope this game gets lots good reviews and promoting as it would be a shame for it to go relatively un noticed, like you alot of people i speak to have never even heard of it before.

From Far Cry Website The Specs For Game Are:

Recommended

Supported OS: Windows 98SE/2000/XP (only)
Processor: AMD Athlon 2400-3000+ or Pentium 4 2-3 GHz
RAM: 512-1024 MB
Video Card: 128 MB GeForce 4 128 MB to GeForce FX 5950; ATI Radeon 9500-9800 XT
Sound Card: Sound Blaster® Audigy® series
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (included on disc)
DVD-ROM: 8x-16x DVD
Hard Drive Space: 4 GB
Multiplayer: Broadband with 64 Kbps upstream to play (512 Kbps upstream to host 8 players)

Minimum

Supported OS: Windows® 98SE/2000/XP (only)
Processor: 1 GHz
RAM: 256 MB
Video Card: 64 MB DirectX® 9.0b-compatible graphics card
Sound Card: DirectX® 9.0b-compatible PCI card
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (included on disc)
DVD-ROM: 4x DVD
Hard Drive Space: 4 GB
Multiplayer: Broadband with 64 Kbps upstream to play (512 Kbps upstream to host 8 players)

did u buy it on the highstreet or from the web ? Any cheap deasl going on?

Cheers

Matt

ahh I see ;)

does anyone know if amazon ships early (or early so it arrives on release date ?) I may get farcry with BFV..

Matt

Have you tried www.play.com, they have Far Cry on pre-order for £24.99 and they ship games usually on the tuesday or wednesday so you recieve on release day, everytime I have pre-ordered with amazon they have either shipped on release day or the monday after.

Originally posted by Matt Horne
ahh I see ;)

does anyone know if amazon ships early (or early so it arrives on release date ?) I may get farcry with BFV..

Matt

Forgot Amazon mate, found somewhere with Far Cry on pre-order for £17.99 with Free First Class Postage, dont think anywhere is going to beat that.

I played the demo off PC Zone CD I think, which was either as buggy as hell or summit up with it. Good to hear it runs ok as a full release. Might be tempted.:)

Yeah, the demo was buggy as hell and ran very slow on my machine - pauses before you fired a weapon uneven framerates (single figures rather than thirty-something) when enemies see you for example. All my settings were on medium with water effects to low. I do believe that some of this this was to do with unoptimised ATI code within the game. Therefore I would expect the full release to be a fair bit better.

Athlon 3.2gHz; ATI 9800pro; 512 RAM; Audigy 2.

Russell

Strange I had no issues with Far cry other than the odd graphical quirk... it ran very smothly for me 1024x768 everything on medium/high (tried both ways) with envronment on very high all the time. Tried a variety of setting the ati 3d settings from app preference to setting the AA settings. Really liked it..

I'm running :

P4 2.8 HT
ATI 9600 XT (128MB)
1024mb Ram (OCZ 3200)
in built sound

Maybe its the extra ram which helped ?

Matt

I read that the demo was made to use the 3.9 ATi drivers so people using anything newer were having problems, hopefully they will have fixed it for the final game, shame EA couldnt do the same for BF: Vietnam, with the latest 4.3 drivers it runs quite badly on my computer in anything but 800x600 with everything set to Low, so I removed the 4.3 drivers and installed the 3.7 drivers, now I have it set at 1024x768 with everything set to high and its running very nicely, still lags a little but compared to what it was like before its a great improvement.

Got mine from Game, These are by far the best online game shop in the UK. Here's a link -
Game
Farcry is £24.99 saving u £10.;)

ordered mine from blackstar for £17.99 :)

I did not realise that ATi 4.3 drivers were out!

Matt

Originally posted by Jammydodger
Got mine from Game, These are by far the best online game shop in the UK.

Not sure I agree with that.

here's a benchmark done with the demo version. I wonder if you can do this -DEVMODE thing with the full game, so we could get a better idea. Apparently the full version runs better than the demo did, but it would still be good to have that benchmark with other cards.

Dean

no problems running the demo useing cat 4.2

Just installed the game, you can tell it to run a test on your computer so that it sets all the options best suited for your system. It set everything on mine to Medium at 1024x768 and even though I have only played it for about 10 mins it is running perfectly, no lag or anything. I tried setting everything to High and it does slow down a little but still very playable but even in Medium it looks amazing, my spec is AMD Athlon XP 2800+, 1GB DDR RAM and 128MB ATi Radeon 9700 running with the 3.7 ATi drivers, they are not the newest but they are the best for Vietnam and Far Cry is fine with them so not going to change them yet.

Whooh.. I have not seen any screens like that.. the demo looks nothing like that.. and I do not remember any like that in this months PC Zone.. How do you set this feature and does it work with all radeon cards ???

Looks amazing.. totally diff to the demo

Matt

Yeh in the options (once you in the game) theres a drop down box (greyed out on mine) where you choose Cold Filter,

it changes the colourful bright graphics to those in the screenshots which suit the game much better and look almost picture perfect

As Far As I Know it works with all DX9 cards but dont hold me to that :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom