Far Cry 6 Review & Comments

Uninspired, unoriginal and unmotivating, the next FC will need to be something special because this creatively dry re-skin does not bake my potato.

I got this for free on PC with AMD promotion when I bought the 5950X CPU a few months ago - only got email with code this week. Forgot I was due it.

Downloaded and installed it (had to install the UBISOFT game store and create accounts - bit of an awful roundabout and rigmarole)

Never played any previous Far Crys or even saw them.
No idea what this is about.
Didn't run it yet!

Will I know what the hell is going on?

I got this for free on PC with AMD promotion when I bought the 5950X CPU a few months ago - only got email with code this week. Forgot I was due it.

Downloaded and installed it (had to install the UBISOFT game store and create accounts - bit of an awful roundabout and rigmarole)

Never played any previous Far Crys or even saw them.
No idea what this is about.
Didn't run it yet!

Will I know what the hell is going on?
You won’t have needed to play the others to know what to do. It might help a little as in familiarisation for a few things but you’ll be fine

Ive not played a FC game since the one where you had to burn the cannabis fields which some gangsta reggae song, whichever that one was.

Will pick this up when I can easily pick up a next gen console, so around 2023 then.

I'm enjoying it so far - score seems about right to me.
I knew exactly what I was getting - more brainless action! - but it's still fun running around the far cry sandbox.

@Ian Collen you mentioned having to look ridiculous if you want the best clothing, etc - you can use the eye icon in the item details to make it look like any other item you have (ie I can go into, say, a hat item and make it look like a pair of sunglasses instead).

I've been playing this a bit on PC and as others have said, it's uninspired and virtually identical to the last game. The old Ubi formula of capturing endless identikit bases is becoming rather stale now. I think it's time for them to do something else.

From a PC perspective it's pretty middle of the road too. The ray tracing support is incredibly bare bones and adds little. In some cases it actually makes the game looks worse, as Ubi took the bizarre decision to only ray trace reflections from buildings, which they then mix in with the wildly inaccurate screen space reflections from foliage. The resulting mish-mash looks pretty awful, with a chunky blue fringe around the foliage reflections as they're composited over the ray traced reflections. They're incredibly low res too, which is no surprise as this is one of those AMD Sponsored games which always means no DLSS and weak ray tracing support (presumably because AMD's ray tracing hardware is so far behind NVidia)

I would say the game in general looks pretty dated too. Rocks look like they've fallen out of an Xbox 360 game, there's a ton of pop-in, lighting is over-cooked and gaudy, and even the towns look rather sparse. (this is all on Ultra on an RTX 3080).

It's not a bad game, it's just a really average one. By the numbers I guess you could say, playing it incredibly safe.

I'd agree about the ray tracing - playing it on a 3090, and have now turned off ray traced shadows as the baked in ones look better!

The AMD FSR option seems to work just as well as DLSS on nvidia cards imo - perhaps better than DLSS? - but there's a bug in the current build of fc6 that doesn't keep the setting enabled when you exit the game.

6 at best for me based on what I played.

As above the graphics look ok but quite dated. The story bland with the same old generic formula. The enemies are stupid.
One mission I played was a copy paste from a previous FC game, involves a flamethrower and some crops, then you had enemies spawning out of thin air, people say it may be a bug, but past FC had similar, I'm not being funny but how do gamers put up with this rubbish?

This is a bargain basement purchase for me, I paid full price at launch and realised I had made a mistake and got a refund.

I sign up to uplay+ for a month when something like this comes out.
Plenty of time to play through the game, and costs me a huge £12.99.
As a bonus, all the uplay+ games are the 'ultimate' editions of a game, so can play through all the season pass dlc for AC:Valhalla afterward.

I'd agree about the ray tracing - playing it on a 3090, and have now turned off ray traced shadows as the baked in ones look better!

The AMD FSR option seems to work just as well as DLSS on nvidia cards imo - perhaps better than DLSS? - but there's a bug in the current build of fc6 that doesn't keep the setting enabled when you exit the game.
FSR is a really basic upscaler. It's really just an edge smoother, so anything which isn't an edge will simply be a bilinear upscale.

DLSS is a totally different world. It's machine learning and temporal (so it uses motion vectors), and it runs on the hardware tensor cores. It's way better quality than FSR.

Digital Foundry looked at FSR when it first came out, and it wasn't pretty.

I've got this on PC via the Uplay+ subscription. It's a huge game world and actually good fun with some good missions.

But not sure I'd want to pay full price for it as it's basically the same as previous Far Cry games. Putting the storyline aside it's the same capturing bases, collecting resources etc. Same reappearing enemies nonsense that are oblivious to you. You clear an area of enemies, walk 2 metres down the road and they have reappeared just standing guard, unaware of what is going on. AI is rubbish. They've clearly just used the old Far Cry engine for this.

On the PC the graphics are very poor for a AAA release game in 2021.
Also, before the Nvidia driver update a couple of days ago, it would crash all the time.

But if you are a fan of Far Cry games then this will be still enjoyable. It will keep me going for many hours.

FSR is a really basic upscaler. It's really just an edge smoother, so anything which isn't an edge will simply be a bilinear upscale.

DLSS is a totally different world. It's machine learning and temporal (so it uses motion vectors), and it runs on the hardware tensor cores. It's way better quality than FSR.

Digital Foundry looked at FSR when it first came out, and it wasn't pretty.
Far Cry is the first game I've used FSR on (as I don't have an AMD card!), and to my eyes on a large OLED at ultra quality setting (which DF said was perfectly fine in the article I've just read) it looks as good as when the setting is turned off, whilst giving me a decent frame rate boost.

I've not looked at FSR technique in any depth whatsoever though so I'm happy to go with your assessment of it vs dlss.

Love the Far Cry games, so still looking forward to playing this on my Series X, despite the fact that it will just be more of the same. I will definitely be hanging on for a price drop though.

6 at best for me based on what I played.

As above the graphics look ok but quite dated. The story bland with the same old generic formula. The enemies are stupid.
One mission I played was a copy paste from a previous FC game, involves a flamethrower and some crops, then you had enemies spawning out of thin air, people say it may be a bug, but past FC had similar, I'm not being funny but how do gamers put up with this rubbish?

This is a bargain basement purchase for me, I paid full price at launch and realised I had made a mistake and got a refund.
Six is generous. Have played about 8 hours and barely been more bored in my life. Shooting guys 87 times before they die because they have a '3' above their head and my gun is a '1' is just unacceptable for me. It's an FPS. Shooting is where most of the fun is and Ubi has made it not fun so they can put a levelling system in purely to justify an in-game store. The guns are crap and lightweight, and messages like 'Painting collected (1 of 593)' make me want to kill myself.

This game could replace waterboarding. This will be the last Far Cry I ever buy for sure.

Six is generous. Have played about 8 hours and barely been more bored in my life. Shooting guys 87 times before they die because they have a '3' above their head and my gun is a '1' is just unacceptable for me. It's an FPS. Shooting is where most of the fun is and Ubi has made it not fun so they can put a levelling system in purely to justify an in-game store. The guns are crap and lightweight, and messages like 'Painting collected (1 of 593)' make me want to kill myself.

This game could replace waterboarding. This will be the last Far Cry I ever buy for sure.
Appreciate you may well have already deleted it, but with respect I would suggest that you were doing it a bit wrong 🤣

The weapons can be extremely powerful, but you do have to use the right one at the right time. It even tells you when you scan sites with your phone camera which bullet type will be most effective for the target.

A grenade launcher for example will take down a military helicopter in 2-3 shots - you’ll be sitting there for 20 mins with a different weapon - even something like a high powered level 4 sniper rifle with soft shell bullets.

That same sniper rifle with armor piercing ammo though - even a level 1 or 2 one - will take down pretty much anyone in the game with a well placed headshot through a scope.

In other words the weapon level doesnt have much to do with things in my experience so far.

Loved the multiplayer campaign in FC3
It was different from the main campaign and played through it as as a 3 player co-op with my mates on Sunday nights for a good few weeks - always started with a fight to choose the sweary Glasgow football ned as your character. Great how they incorporated the competitive mini game shoot out stages into the bigger co-op levels
Disappointed as all other Far Crys have been 2 player co-op only and they dropped it on the FC3 remaster for XB1, so XB360 version for me, although I think the PS3 has a free extra co-op level for downloading

Appreciate you may well have already deleted it, but with respect I would suggest that you were doing it a bit wrong 🤣

The weapons can be extremely powerful, but you do have to use the right one at the right time. It even tells you when you scan sites with your phone camera which bullet type will be most effective for the target.

A grenade launcher for example will take down a military helicopter in 2-3 shots - you’ll be sitting there for 20 mins with a different weapon - even something like a high powered level 4 sniper rifle with soft shell bullets.

That same sniper rifle with armor piercing ammo though - even a level 1 or 2 one - will take down pretty much anyone in the game with a well placed headshot through a scope.

In other words the weapon level doesnt have much to do with things in my experience so far.
With respect, I was exaggerating, sure, but okay. Combination of my level and weapon level does make a difference to damage dealt, and the idea of swapping between guns because some bullets work on some enemies but don't on others... Nope. I literally hate that system. Players should be free to choose their favourite weapon type that suits their playstyle and just go. This is an FPS not dungeons and dragons. Ironically I liked the last Ghost Recon and everyone else hated it. Lots clever camouflage, stealth and long range sniping to play with, and clever enemies. Here they're about as intelligent as an eggwhisk.

Anyway. Absolutely hated every single little bit of it. From the dialogue to the music to the visuals, the voice acting, the sound effects. Literally nothing I liked whatsoever. YMMV.

While I don’t mind a bit of thought etc in an FPS, I really just wanna shoot s*** up. Give me a modern day Black or F.E.A.R any day. Black I can play in not-very-good-o-vision BC but give me a new F.E.A.R!

Playing it last night, you noticed the enemies popping out of thin air quite often. Especially if you are on a boat, enemy boats just pop out of nowhere and you even hear a splash as they spawn above the water. Not really good enough for a AAA title in 2021.

Would be a 6 from me too. I'm about 15 hours in on PC with a 5600X and 3080. Played every Far Cry game so far.

The good - Graphics are nothing fancy but it does look good and runs very well too. The map feels like it had a lot of thought put into it, making the world feel very lived in.

The bad - To me, it feels like no one play tested this game before it came out. Or they did but no one at Ubisoft gave a hoot. The reswawning enemies are terrrible and completely immersion breaking. I could be clearing out a base and enemies have already appeared on the other side of it. this goes for NPC's too. I'll turn around and a car or a group of peope have literally appeared behind me. The weapons customisation is very limited. I've just put armour piercing rounds on everything, headshots take down nearly every enemy. The story is boring and I find myself skipping most custscences.

Only thing keeping me playing is my need to complete it fully.

Would be a 6 from me too. I'm about 15 hours in on PC with a 5600X and 3080. Played every Far Cry game so far.

The good - Graphics are nothing fancy but it does look good and runs very well too. The map feels like it had a lot of thought put into it, making the world feel very lived in.

The bad - To me, it feels like no one play tested this game before it came out. Or they did but no one at Ubisoft gave a hoot. The reswawning enemies are terrrible and completely immersion breaking. I could be clearing out a base and enemies have already appeared on the other side of it. this goes for NPC's too. I'll turn around and a car or a group of peope have literally appeared behind me. The weapons customisation is very limited. I've just put armour piercing rounds on everything, headshots take down nearly every enemy. The story is boring and I find myself skipping most custscences.

Only thing keeping me playing is my need to complete it fully.
That's pretty much the same for any ubi open world game - they release it, and then incrementally patch it ... until after about 6 months it's stable! Clearly it's not a good thing at all that they use their customers as unpaid game testers, but can't see that changing unfortunately.

If I weren't getting it through uplay+ then I'd definitely be holding off on buying it for a few months until things have settled down, certain weapons have been nerfed, etc.

I think its a decent game but its let down primarily (if we ignore the samey design as every other Ubisoft open world game) by the enemy AI. Its just rubbish. For a game that is about planning attacks on bases the enemy AI is just not good enough. Stealth is unpredictable as sometimes you are spotted when there is no way they should and other times you can walk right up to them and they stand their picking their nose.

The enemies all are cookie cutter so there is no real interesting enemies to shoot at. And they are all very clumsily animated and move in a weird way. Shoot a single bullet at an enemy vehicle as it whizzes past and it always, always will reverse back to you allowing you to shoot the driver in the head. The enemies are predictable and yet sometimes suddenly become crack shots even when you are concealed - other times in open pitched fights where you are heavily outnumbered you can just mow them all down as they are all so stupid. There is no real incentive to stealth the game seeing as most encounters work most easily when you just go in all guns blazing. The interesting dynamics of alarms and cameras are basically redundant. Reinforcements are coming but they'll be as brainless as the lot I've just slaughtered - or one will suddenly from 2 miles away headshot me and I'll die and have to repeat the whole shebang again.

The enemy AI, and appearance and animation feel like something out of a BAD linear 2007 game. Yet the environmental design and set pieces are all pretty good, as is the gunplay (miles better than FC5) and the open world is much more interesting and varied and dynamic.

But the problem is that if the enemies are just so boring - or every so often just randomly so good - you end up dealing with every encounter in the same way. Perhaps that's what they want but it doesn't feel satisfying enough.

Is it normal / non-psychotic that if one of the civilian NFCs says something really sarcastic or derisive whilst walking past, you turn around and put a bullet between their eyes? Asking for a friend.

I think its a decent game but its let down primarily (if we ignore the samey design as every other Ubisoft open world game) by the enemy AI. Its just rubbish. For a game that is about planning attacks on bases the enemy AI is just not good enough. Stealth is unpredictable as sometimes you are spotted when there is no way they should and other times you can walk right up to them and they stand their picking their nose.

The enemies all are cookie cutter so there is no real interesting enemies to shoot at. And they are all very clumsily animated and move in a weird way. Shoot a single bullet at an enemy vehicle as it whizzes past and it always, always will reverse back to you allowing you to shoot the driver in the head. The enemies are predictable and yet sometimes suddenly become crack shots even when you are concealed - other times in open pitched fights where you are heavily outnumbered you can just mow them all down as they are all so stupid. There is no real incentive to stealth the game seeing as most encounters work most easily when you just go in all guns blazing. The interesting dynamics of alarms and cameras are basically redundant. Reinforcements are coming but they'll be as brainless as the lot I've just slaughtered - or one will suddenly from 2 miles away headshot me and I'll die and have to repeat the whole shebang again.

The enemy AI, and appearance and animation feel like something out of a BAD linear 2007 game. Yet the environmental design and set pieces are all pretty good, as is the gunplay (miles better than FC5) and the open world is much more interesting and varied and dynamic.

But the problem is that if the enemies are just so boring - or every so often just randomly so good - you end up dealing with every encounter in the same way. Perhaps that's what they want but it doesn't feel satisfying enough.
You are about spot on there. The map design and layout is great and it is huge, plus when you get a set piece such as early on in the game when you have to clear those two big ships of enemies it really works well. I do like the various weapons, but really once you get a decent sniper with a silencer there isn't much else you need to do.

But the enemy design, animation and most importantly the AI, is shocking. They have clearly put nothing into developing this side of it from previous Far Cry games.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom