• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Far Cry 2 or Call of Duty 5?

Br0ken

Distinguished Member
Just wondering which I should buy. Can't make my mind up, so thought I'd put the question out there? Opinions please?

ch3rub

If you have to choose one I'll say definitely FC2 (love open world games).
But it's just me, and mind I didn't like CoD4 as well (hate scripted games). Even glorified MP in CoD4 is rubbish if you ask me, BF:Bad Company is way better imho.

Br0ken

Distinguished Member
If you have to choose one I'll say definitely FC2 (love open world games).
But it's just me, and mind I didn't like CoD4 as well (hate scripted games). Even glorified MP in CoD4 is rubbish if you ask me, BF:Bad Company is way better imho.

I don't really know about the differences and what defines something as 'open world'?

Tonks01

both are going to be solid games i think, COD5 is going to big no matter how it turns out because of its predecessor.

the reason why im more excited about Far Cry 2 is because its trying to separate itself from the pack, and successful or not i have to admire and support that kind of innovation. I'm hoping due to the game mechanics & setting (im not playing a FPS shooter in a eastern european/ middle eastern country? WHA???)
Its going to shine.

Tonks01

What innovations do you refer to Tonks?

I like how your never taken away from being 'in the game' if you want a map you dont press start and a map fills the screen - you actually pull a a map out of one pocket, and a compass out of the other and actually read the map. if your hit by a car your screen doesnt go red for 10 seconds and then run off, your thrown through the air and then you have to dust your self off, dislocated elbow, you have to fix it.

if your sniping is it worth going for the headshot and take the enemy out in one, or blow his knee out so he calls for help, and then you take out both of them :thumbsup:

all your weapons are from militia groups so are un-kept and can break down and stop working over time, so you have to consider whether your gun is going to make it through the gun-fight you have planned. is it best to MGS style it an go in with your knife?

i could go on and on :rotfl:

just all stuff ive not seen from a FPS before.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
What innovations do you refer to Tonks?
It has 50,000 Km2 of world you can explore at your own pace, real day/night cycles, real fire propagation, wind & weather effects.

Cod5 as mentioned will be on rails, and no doubt very much fun but without the freesom of Farcry. It's FC2 for me all the way! :thumbsup:

Jack-Deth

Distinguished Member
Far Cry 2 for me, I think!

Tonks01

It has 50,000 Km2 of world you can explore at your own pace, real day/night cycles, real fire propagation, wind & weather effects.

Cod5 as mentioned will be on rails, and no doubt very much fun but without the freesom of Farcry. It's FC2 for me all the way! :thumbsup:

whilst thats all true i think youll find its 50km square, 50 000 is a little under half of England, were not QUITE there yet :D

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
FC2 any day of the week.

Not only does it sound amazing, but COD5 will be a poor COD because it is beiing developed by Treyarch who did the poor PS2 games and COD3, and not Infinity Ward who developed the very best COD games, namely the original, COD2 and COD4.

Br0ken

Distinguished Member
i could go on and on :rotfl:

just all stuff ive not seen from a FPS before.

Please do carry on, seel it to me :)

Perhaps stuff not in an FPS per se, but I wouldn't say its innovative to take elements from other genres and putting them into an FPS. Like that press start to display map thing, taking it out of your pocket is just an animated pause screen right? Or can you actually still get shot if you're looking at your map?

The single player does sound better in FC2 than in COD5 from whats been said so far though.

I have no idea how large 50,000 km squared is in terms of scale. Time is ok, GTA4 had that too, as well as weather, so nothing new there.

Br0ken

Distinguished Member
Far Cry 2 for me, I think!

Why?

FC2 any day of the week.

Not only does it sound amazing, but COD5 will be a poor COD because it is beiing developed by Treyarch who did the poor PS2 games and COD3, and not Infinity Ward who developed the very best COD games, namely the original, COD2 and COD4.

I can't buy into the 'it'll be rubbish because Treyarch are doing it' arguement I'm afraid - whats not to say they've learnt and improved on what they're capable of delivering, deserve a chance right?

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
whilst thats all true i think youll find its 50km square, 50 000 is a little under half of England, were not QUITE there yet :D
ha ha, oh yeah, too trigger happy with the zero key!

Br0ken, I think I read that GTA4 was 8km2 so over six times larger.

GTA4 had weather 'effects' but the wind & rain didn't affect anything like it does in FC2, start a fire on a dry day it'll spread fast, rain can slow it / put it out & stong wind can spread it faster.

Yes, getting a map out is more realistic, it doesn't pause the game and you're still vulnerable.

Tonks01

Please do carry on, seel it to me :)

Perhaps stuff not in an FPS per se, but I wouldn't say its innovative to take elements from other genres and putting them into an FPS. Like that press start to display map thing, taking it out of your pocket is just an animated pause screen right? Or can you actually still get shot if you're looking at your map?

I have no idea how large 50,000 km squared is in terms of scale. Time is ok, GTA4 had that too, as well as weather, so nothing new there.

really i cant do it justice, the best thing is to try work your way through these vids:

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/5229.html

You can still get shot, move around, hide, get out monocular to see if something corresponce to what your looking at on your map.

I think GTA, even number 4's weather effects were still quite simple, this really creates an atmosphere.

Jack-Deth

Distinguished Member

I'm so bored of COD4. Its a good game but its had its time. COD5 just seems like a re-skinned COD4 but with flame throwers. I get a bit frustrated with the on-the-rails single player that it will no doubt offer and I'm just looking for a change.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Tonks and Robot really trying to sell this game :D

I love the look of it, but like I said above its the clan options im concerned about

(whisper) Tonks, you had that cheque yet from Ubisofts marketing department? ;)

Decadence1

Until a couple of weeks ago Tonks coverted me to Far Cry 2. The multipalyer map editor in it looks awesome. You'll never get bored of the maps as you can always make new ones. I saw a demo of it on you tube. Can't wait!

Moogle

Distinguished Member
FC2 any day of the week.

That is a pretty poor reason in my opinion and has no basis for logic. Just because their previous games weren't up to par doesn't mean it will be the same for their future games including COD:World At War. They are using the COD4 engine and what I played of it in Leipzig was pretty impressive and a far cry ( pun intended :D ) from their previous efforts.

Tonks01

That is a pretty poor reason in my opinion and has no basis for logic. Just because their previous games weren't up to par doesn't mean it will be the same for their future games including COD:World At War. They are using the COD4 engine and what I played of it in Leipzig was pretty impressive and a far cry ( pun intended :D ) from their previous efforts.

Treyarch & WWII are two of *the* most annoying arguments I hear against COD5. Firstly Treyarch, I can't believe any games company releases a sub-par game on purpose, their striving to put out the best game they can, otherwise said game creator isnt going to be around long at all, Look at Ubisoft theyve published some stinkers but they acknowledged that and realised that they have to step up - when your following COD4 your going to put in 110% effort, like moogle said iv played it and its great - how exactly people are able to make such a sweeping statement about an entire company im not sure :confused:

Secondly WWII, im yet to play a good WWII game on this current generation of consoles, so bring it on! - open a history book and youll see just how many spectacular key moments there were that are just asking to be re-created into the COD world. COD4, Rainbow 6 vegas, Battlefield Bad Company, etc etc. contemporary shooters - *yawn*

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom