1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAQ's? Web Location

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gordon @ Convergent AV, Jan 20, 2001.

1. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
  2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, after trawling around I thought I'd just simply ask.

Does anyone know of a Website that covers simply the additional items that can be added to a CRT? i.e. explains about a Scaler, a de-interlacer, a Line Doubler etc? This is for a Barco 708MM though the site doesn't need to be that specific.

Regards Neil.

------------------
    Webmaster,
    http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com

3. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose my problem is that I do not know what really to ask.

I have bought a Barco 708MM based on HC Dude's recommendation and stunning Demo. I have some money to spare.

What should I get to make the best possible picture from it? A Scaler? I don't even know what a Scaler is!

Should I use a HTPC or should I buy the newer Progressive Scan DVD Players? Thoughts?

Regards Neil.

------------------
    Webmaster,

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780

Neil,

A scaler is a device that re-scales an incoming image to a different output resolution than that going in. More often than not it will also de-interlace the video signal and make it progressive (if it wasn't progressive already).

Looking at the specs for your chosen projector it looks like it's a high performance 7" tubed chap. I'm not sure whether it will accept a component video signal though. So, unless you find a progressive scanning DVD player that outputs RGB, you might want to consider other options.

The ideal output resolution for your projector will depend on a few factors. What aspect ratio of screen you want to use, and how well set up it is etc. So, looking at a device that offers various output resolutions, such as a HTPC or a seperate scaler would seem like a good idea. That way you can experiment once you've got the thing up and running.

One thing is for sure, without some form of video processing you'll be seeing scan lines with a unit of this calibre. I'd go to www.tawforum.com and visit their Electrohome and Barco forum. Ask the 708 owners over there what they are using to get a feel for the preffered options.

All the best

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

5. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And there's the rub Gordon, it seems pretty clear that the 708MM was not released in the US. Only Europe and Australia.

Saying that I'm pretty clear that I know what to go for. Must say The Rock looks pretty wild? I'm wondering how much Marketing fluff there is though versus actual performance. Comments?

------------------
    Webmaster,

6. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Neil

I had ordered the Rock from TAW, but after they made public that it was based on a standard PC motherboard with custom cards for input and output and increased the price I decided to cancel the order. Prior to the cancellation I didn't feel comfortable with the way it was being hyped. If you read their forum nearly every new entry talks about how they have made it better with this-or-that mod. I felt that it would be better to wait until it was shipping in quantity and the production problems had been ironed out. As I had already sent them some money I decided to buy one of their blowout Quadscan scalers. When it arrived it didn't work, also the version was earlier than stated and the screws on the casework were chewed suggesting that it wasn't new. TAW insisted that it was new and that the screws were chewed due to it being sent back and forth to the manufacturers. Quite why a brand new unit would be sent back and forth to the manufacturers is beyond me but the upshot is I now have to ship it back to the manufacturers in the US to get it sorted out.

The bottom line; I would be very careful about buying anything from TAW, or the US for that matter, I was very careful and only bought after a lot of questions had been answered by email but still ended up with a dud that I have to send somewhere else to get fixed.

Regards
    Gary

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Garry, Neil: The Rock looks interesting. Certainly Phil and Deniz do go a bit overboard about the performance of their products and that's OK. The thing that irks me somewhat is their persistent slagging off of the competition, especially when they get facts wrong!

Although Rock is based on modified PC architecture i think that the idea is great. I also think that they've got a great guy in Mark Rejhon doing the custom software for it. Already it has built in functionality that is very useful, particularily to those who want to use fixed panel displays with panamorphs and 16:9 screens.

However, having seen a few scalers now i've come to realise that they all seem to have some wee operating bug somewhere. So, I'd like to see one working before passing comment on the things performance. I have relatively high hopes though.

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

8. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes,

Its interesting that, while TAW were selling the Quadscan it was the mutts nuts, but now the Rock has emerged (or has it ?) They slag it down. It(the quad) seems to have had a few bugs, (dark stripes down one side of the picture was one I think) I don't know if it ever reached a 'bug free' state, but these things seem to take time, and several updates to
    get just right.
    I also need a scaler for my 808 , but I'll have to wait untill I sell my Seleco 320 before I can afford one. By then there might be a clear cut winner. Things seem to change pretty quickly in this area. I was impressed with what I read about the Vigatec scaler. Its a bit more than I wanted to spend, but if there is no other choice by the time I need one, It will be the one I go for.

Best Regards Rob.

------------------
    Don't think you are, Know you are.

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 24-01-2001).]

9. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not going to go out and buy The Rock at this juncture. I'm only just getting started and I must admit that I fear making a mistake and a $3000 Video processor would be a mistake [​IMG]

Also I always feel somewhat uncomfortable with buying something of this nature from abroad due to loss of Warranty and hassle getting it repaired as GaryG commented.

------------------
    Webmaster, http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com

[This message has been edited by Jenz (edited 24-01-2001).]