[FAQ] Using two routers together/ Extending Wi-Fi

frog61

Thanks
So I've reset router. connected to PC, changed IP of router.
Unplugged PC, plugged PC into main router
Navigated to slave router
disabled DHCP
disabled firewall
changed wifi password

Still not working....

Has anyone managed to make this work?

frog61

dynamic dns if off
portfwarding I am sure what to do here, I dont know what internet or external ports to use. Should I enter in the master router IP?

The issue still is, the slave is not providing an IP to connected devices.

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
I would reset secondary router.
Disable wifi on laptop to be extra sure.
Cable from laptop to secondary router.
Log on to secondary router and change ip address and save.
Power down laptop and also secondary router.
Reboot secondary router, be patient, give it time.
Repower laptop.
Log on to secondary router, still connected by cable, using new ip address and disable DHCP and save.
Power down laptop and secondary router.
Connect secondary router to home network by cable. remove cable from secondary router/laptop.
Power up laptop and connect to usual wifi assuming that is within range.
Power up secondary router, give it time.
If both secondary and primary and primary are within range you should be able to toggle between both wifi signals provided they have different SSIDs.
Other phones etc etc should toggle between them also. All provided you didnt change the SSIDs and network pass keys.

frog61

still can connect to slave over wifi on my PC.
Just not phones - failing to obtain IP

running a ipconfig does show the master router Ip being the default gateway.
Looking in the slave dashboard, and seeing whats connected, I can see my pc connected as 192.168.1.39 (static)
So it does assign an IP but just not for my phone

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
still can connect to slave over wifi on my PC.
Just not phones - failing to obtain IP

running a ipconfig does show the master router Ip being the default gateway.
Looking in the slave dashboard, and seeing whats connected, I can see my pc connected as 192.168.1.39 (static)
So it does assign an IP but just not for my phone
And you did all the rebooting suggested? When I look at my secondary dashboard I see devices on the network that are currently using other Access Points. I think it is only splitting hairs over language but the Master Router assigns the ip even though the information is relayed through the entire network including through the secondary "router". Did you mess about with the wifi SSIDs and passwords?

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
The only other change I made to secondary was disable Smart Set up. I don’t know what it does but I didn’t like the sound of it.

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
Does your laptop connect to internet when plugged into your secondary “router”?

Toon Army

@frog61 i have been following this as I previously attempted to reconfigure a HH5 and got nowhere and gave up. You sparked my interest again so I unearthed it and had another go. No real problems except my error of trying to change HH IP address and DHCP settings all at one time instead of sequentially. That required the reset button. The other issue is the HH5 is quite slow to reboot so patience is required between steps. It’s now working away as a Wireless AP and a physical switch.
I gave up last year and installed a mesh system instead.

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
I gave up last year and installed a mesh system instead.
I enjoy tinkering. Besides I now have Wi-fi everywhere using kit that would otherwise be junk.

frog61

Hi
Yes, PC does connect to internet when connected to slave router.
I am going to reset and follow your steps again step by step.
Presume I shouldnt be changing wifi or password on slave router?

How do you disable smart setup on BT HH? there deosnt seem an option on my dashboards

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
Hi
Yes, PC does connect to internet when connected to slave router.
I am going to reset and follow your steps again step by step.
Presume I shouldnt be changing wifi or password on slave router?

How do you disable smart setup on BT HH? there deosnt seem an option on my dashboards
It’s on the main log in menu of my Smart Hub 6. What version is your box?

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
I kept the Wi-fi settings as they were so I could tell which box was connected to any specific device. Some say if you make all access points the same it helps roaming but I prefer to manually switch access points if there is a choice and therefore select the best available signal.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Have you tried pinging both routers...?

(DDNS, port forwards, firewall settings, etc. on slave router will not make any difference to anything as those functions will not be seeing any traffic and literally have nothing to do - they just sit there twiddling their thumbs.)

I am puzzled that you say have set everything up you can "navigate to the slave router" - that (and the fact that you can access the Internet from devices attached to slave suggests) it's all working fine. What is it that's "not working" - can you expand on the description or give us some screenshots or something.

We have seen issues with Wi-Fi roaming not working properly in BT HH's. I don't know about other versions, but with an HH3 is you set up the SSID's the same an another router to avail automatic roaming, Wi-Fi clients would not roam to the HH3 successfully.

Last edited:

frog61

Have you tried pinging both routers...?

(DDNS, port forwards, firewall settings, etc. on slave router will not make any difference to anything as those functions are not be seeing any traffic and literally have nothing to do - they just sit there twiddling their thumbs.)

I am puzzled that you say have set everything up you can "navigate to the slave router" - that (and the fact that you can access the Internet from devices attached to slave suggests) it's all working fine. What is it that's "not working" - can you expand on the description or give us some screenshots or something.

We have seen issues with Wi-Fi roaming not working properly in BT HH's. I don't know about other versions, but with an HH3 is you set up the SSID's the same an another router to avail automatic roaming, Wi-Fi clients would not roam to the HH3 successfully.

Hi, good to know about firewall, ports etc.

Once I changed the slave routers IP, I was able to navigate to it once connected to the master router..
I could only access the internet from the slaves router via my laptop by both ethernet and wifi.
The problem is that I cannot attach any other devices. Keeps saying unable to obtain IP address on my android and iphone and ipad. Its almost like my PC is the only device that allowed to connect to the slave router.
It doesnt matter if the SSID is different to the main or not, the issue remains the same.

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
Have you changed anything on the Master Router as regards assigning ip addresses? You made a reference some posts back about the laptop having a static ip address that I didnt really understand.

frog61

No, the master router hasnt been changed other.
When my laptop is connected to the master the IP is not static, (it has DHCP next to the IP). When its connected to the slave router is had (static) next to the IP address.
This says to me there is an issue with the DHCP with the slave router.

One thing I tried was enabling DHCP on the slave router but changing the DHCP range to outside the range of the master. This didnt work either tho

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
This is beyond my pay grade. I just press the buttons. Which version of Home Hub is the slave and what is the Master Router?

mickevh

Distinguished Member
The "slave" router should have it's DHCP Server turned off and thusly it won't be issuing any DHCP leases. You can ignore any DHCP Leases slave cites - if there is anything in there it will probably be a hangover from setting it up or when it was previously used standalone. All the (active) DHCP leases should be issued from the "master" router.

You can pretty much ignore everything in the slave routers user interface - the only things it's doing are switching and Wi-Fi and it's IP address matters. All the firewall, internet settings, routing, etc. etc. are redundant and can be ignored. Slave's IP address only "matters" in that we need to ensure it does not conflict with anything else (and we've done that.) "In use" slave's IP address is only used to access it's admin interface - ethernet switching and Wi-Fi don't use IP.

For example, slave will whinge endlessly that it "cannot find the Internet" - but that's because it expects to "find" the Internet through it's "Broadband" port and we've disconnected it. But that's OK; these devices are designed to work "out of the box" in a certain way and we've abused that and used them differently to how they were designed.

If you connect a device to your slave router, (wired or Wi-Fi) and check said devices IP settings (on the device itself, not the routers,) if the "default gateway" (and if it cites it the "DHCP Server") and both the master routers IP (192.168.1.254 on BT HH's by default if I recall correctly) then you can be fairly confident everything is "working" as required.

leecavturbo

Hi Gents, anyone know how to get cascaded router connecting the internet?
i know this thread is for basic setup of second routers but i need a second router that connects its wan to isp router lan. i have set different subnet on the second router with dhcp enabled adn my devices connecting to the second router are receiving ip address with that second subnet but they dont have internet access! i have entered the gateway to the second router of the isp router but still no joy.
i tried some google dns but to be honest not sure ive entered that in the right fields or all required fields ( running ddwrt )

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Are you saying you've got two incoming WAN services or just one?

A router behind a router is perfectly possible, we do it all the time in business, however it's often the case that SOHO gear lacks access to the necessary tweaks to get it working. Technically, on rtrB you need to give it something called a "default route" so it knows where to direct any traffic it has no routes for a a lot of SOHO kit won't let you set one up. And rtrA may need additional "static route" of which more later.

Also, how it rtrB getting an IP address for it's WAN interface (ie the one connected to rtrA's LAN) - are you using DHCP or manually assigning it - the latter would be better.

If you tell us what make/model your routers are, someone may know.

Bear in mind that rtrB will also have a NAT translator an firewall running across the routing boundary and again most SOHO kit won't let you turn them off. Ideally I'd want to unless I have a good reason to leave them in place, but it's probably not the end of the world unless you have applications sensitive to dual-NAT.

rtrA will then need something called a "static route" added to it know where to send traffic for the second subnet, though you might "get away" without that if you leave the NAT on rtrB active which makes all traffic from LANB look (to rtrA) like it comes from a single IP address - ie rtrB's WAN interface.

I'd also make sure the Wi-Fi SSID's for both subnets differ so you don't inadvertently get Wi-Fi clients roaming across the subnets (though these days a lot of Wi-Fi client do an (unnecessary) DHCP refresh whenever they roam, so it may not be a big deal.)

So "with the right kit" this is all doable and in some circumstances we might "get away" with a few things which one would not "design in" unless we had to. Because of all this sort of complexity, we tend to advocate that SOHO users implement a "single flat LAN" so one doesn't bump into any of this stuff and/or need "better" kit that can offer the ability to add default and static routes.

Last edited:

zjm

Standard Member
Hi Gents, anyone know how to get cascaded router connecting the internet?
i know this thread is for basic setup of second routers but i need a second router that connects its wan to isp router lan. i have set different subnet on the second router with dhcp enabled adn my devices connecting to the second router are receiving ip address with that second subnet but they dont have internet access! i have entered the gateway to the second router of the isp router but still no joy.
i tried some google dns but to be honest not sure ive entered that in the right fields or all required fields ( running ddwrt )

Depends what router you have to cascade from? it the router ie your 2nd router has a ethernet WAN port then plug it into the LAN port of the main router. It should then get its ip from dhcp from that router and then on the 2nd router that would appear as your WAN isp address. You just have to make sure you dont have overlapping ip addressing.

So if your main ISP is 192.168.0.x/24 ensure the second router is configured on lan dhcp for 192.168.1.x/24.

Happy to help out anyone I am a network engineer.

Freelander2020

Novice Member
Hi, I am using a Talktalk wifi hub at home. Can anyone recommend a relatively common/cheapish router to pair it with to extend my network throughout the house please.
Thanks for looking.

zjm

Standard Member
Hi, I am using a Talktalk wifi hub at home. Can anyone recommend a relatively common/cheapish router to pair it with to extend my network throughout the house please.
Thanks for looking.
If you want to be really cheap get a powerline plug and bt home hub off ebay/facebook market for around £5

On the bt hub turn off dhcp and put the lan on the same network as your talktalk

So if your talktalk is 192.168.0.1 configure bt router as 192.168.0.254 then from powerline place the ethernet cable in the bt home hub yellow ports.

You should be able to connect to the wifi on the bt hub and get addressing from your talktalk.

You can use same ssids but this wont support seamless roaming between wirless points hence advise to have seperate wireless ssids ie main house/ garage etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Audioengine launches compact S6 powered subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW UK for February 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Piega launches Ace Wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett