FAQ Thread Discussions

Please add a PS3 virsus standalone FAQ. The amount of times I see a new thread started for this drives me mad :suicide:

Will try... Not sure if it's an FAQ or not though as I don't think there is agreement. :devil: Certainly a link to one of the discussions might be worth while though.

I've created this thread to discuss any FAQ's so that we can keep the FAQ itself tidy and free from general chat.

Feel free to point out mistakes, rubbish spelling etc.

Also, here's where to debate things that should perhaps be added, removed etc.

The FAQ's are so far:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-players/1013651-blu-ray-audio-faq.html

I don't know how much you want to get into model specific details, but I recently worked out some recommended settings for the Sony S550 when outputing Audio via multi-channel connections.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-a...0231-problem-decoding-bd-player-vs-amp-2.html

Some of this (to do with channel levelling) is currently specific to my Denon amp (1907), but almost certainly would apply to others as well (there is a test in there as well).

Others like the ARC setting and ensuring primary output is set to multi-channel would apply to any amp.

This stuff was driving me nuts when trying to get HD audio going via multi-channel connection and I know that is something that is causing a lot of other people bother as well, so would be cool if this could be given a wider audience.

I don't know how much you want to get into model specific details, but I recently worked out some recommended settings for the Sony S550 when outputing Audio via multi-channel connections.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-a...0231-problem-decoding-bd-player-vs-amp-2.html

Some of this (to do with channel levelling) is currently specific to my Denon amp (1907), but almost certainly would apply to others as well (there is a test in there as well).

Others like the ARC setting and ensuring primary output is set to multi-channel would apply to any amp.

This stuff was driving me nuts when trying to get HD audio going via multi-channel connection and I know that is something that is causing a lot of other people bother as well, so would be cool if this could be given a wider audience.
Hi there...

Your threads were part of the prompt to put some of this up... I read through it and although you've improved it somewhat which is great, it's not the recommended way, although you do have limits with the 1907 it seems.

By setting everything to 0 on the S550, you are infact still -10db on the LFE...

What speaker sizes do you have configured on the Sony?

Hi there...

Your threads were part of the prompt to put some of this up... I read through it and although you've improved it somewhat which is great, it's not the recommended way, although you do have limits with the 1907 it seems.

By setting everything to 0 on the S550, you are infact still -10db on the LFE...

What speaker sizes do you have configured on the Sony?

No, the Denon 1907 has the 15db boost on the .1 channel for Ext In, which I set as soon as I got the S550 as I'd already read about bass management. I have my speakers small, so I'm using the full +15db. So I am handling that correctly.

The issue with setting the output levels on the S550 to zero is a different one. I was under the impression (as were a few others) that the Amp would essentially do nothing to the multi-channel signal, except amplification per the main volume and the .1 boost. Therefore channel levelling for the speakers would need to be applied on the Sony.

Except this isn't the case, the amp does apply its own channel levelling to the Exit In (other amps may work differently) so by putting levels on the S550 I effcetively doubled all my room levelling adjustments, which in particular murdered the bass as the sub is at -7db on the amp. When I copied that to the S550 it left my .1 channel 7db lower than it should be.

There are also two other things that can mess up the multi-channel out on the S550, no matter what amp you use. The default ARC setting compresses the signal, plus if you have the primary audio output set to optical (and possibly others as well, I haven't tried), while the 550 still sends the multi-channel signal via the 6/8 way RCA, for some reason it takes out all the bass information as it does so. So if you are listening via multi-channel connector, its essential that the primary audio be set to that on the 550.

Good work on the audio Ian :smashin: great source of info for analogue users which can be a mine field to be honest.

Ah... I couldn't see any ref. to -15db, Denon are usually pretty good there, my apologies.

I was planning to put the bit about DRC into the TrueHD section as dynamic range control can affect digital as well.

You'll find most amps still apply volume levels to the analogue ins, as those levels control output either from the pre-amp or to the poweramp stages, so if the amp is correct for your digital sources, aside from LFE boosts, any fine tuning of the levels from a BD player over analogue needs to be done in player, along with any bass redirection.

What's rarer is if the amp provides ADC, and then allows full bass management. Still requires the amp to add an LFE boost, but then the amp speaker settings apply instead. Only high end amps tend to offer this.

One thing I've noticed on the Pioneer 51FD is that if bass redirection is active the sound isn't as good. Don't know if the same applies to the Sony.

I think what threw me on the channel levelling is this oft quoted page

How To Set up a Blu-ray Player Using Multi-Channel Analog Outputs... And Why: BigPictureBigSound

It specifically states that most amps wont do channel levelling on the Ext In, hence it has to be done on the player. As the player has a test tone and adjustment facillity, this makes sense. Until you find out the amp is doubling it though :)

The thing with the bass vanishing from Ext Out when the primary out is set to digital is a great little landmine as well.

Perhaps a gotcha's section. ;)

I don't think you can say it's a hard and fast rule. You really have to RTFM I think for analogue audio. ;)

Perhaps a gotcha's section. ;)

I don't think you can say it's a hard and fast rule. You really have to RTFM I think for analogue audio. ;)

Ha! Being able to get all the info from the manual would have been be nice, unfortunately neither Denon nor Sony decided to cooperate in this :)

Definitely a case of trial and error, I'm sure that the things I found wouldn't work on other player/amp combos, but doubtless they have their own little quirks to assist in rapid hair loss.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom