FAQ: Setting up a PS3 to an Onkyo amp

Thanks for that, I will adjust it accordingly.

:smashin:

edited to add - noticed you've posted on that thread too. nice one!

You're welcome :smashin: Enjoy your HD audio :D

Hi guys...wondering if anyone can help me.....I have recently bought the above system..an onkyo 605 plus a ps3...but am having a problem with my surround sound....the rear back speakers aren't emmitting any sound when I play the bd....just the 3 front ones...so in effect no surround sound....

Now it is connected to the system via hdmi....everything assigned right....
have gone into the sound settings on the ps3 and set the hdmi to auto...which gives me all the diff sound compressions...

when the bd is playing it gives me an audio option of 5.1dts or pcm5.1...both do not give me sound in rear satelites...and yet...i get perfect surround sound on my panasonic dvd player which is connected to the other hdmi...go figure....
I have spent hours now going into the onkyo set up...changing things but to no avail...

any help please wud be much appreciated....who knows if ya fix this I might buy u a pint :smashin:
regards

oddy

Good morning: I have been doing a LOT of reading of these forums for ideas and also help on PS3 to Onkyo setup.
I wanted to reply to the forum to say that the latest PS3 update is 2.1. I have updated mine thus far. I am also using a SR705 Onkyo with HDMI from the PS3. I also have HDMI audio turned ON on my Samsung LNT4671F LCD. Albeit, the TV speakers I usually have muted because of headphones plugged in there. I use a full set of 7.1 Bose speakers.

I have tried LPCM and Bitstream on my BDs. LPCM does decode and then pass all appropriate formats to the Onkyo. In this mode, the Onkyo displays multichannel. HOWEVER, my back speakers were not included... thus only 5.1 it seems. I changed to Bitstream and my Onkyo now decodes, indicates, and plays well all 7.1 with TrueHD, THX, DTS, PL2x, etc., etc.

I think the latest Sony PS3 update did the trick for those of us who have been looking. I am very pleased with the surround audio capability of the 705.

cheers

Good morning: I have been doing a LOT of reading of these forums for ideas and also help on PS3 to Onkyo setup.
I wanted to reply to the forum to say that the latest PS3 update is 2.1. I have updated mine thus far. I am also using a SR705 Onkyo with HDMI from the PS3. I also have HDMI audio turned ON on my Samsung LNT4671F LCD. Albeit, the TV speakers I usually have muted because of headphones plugged in there. I use a full set of 7.1 Bose speakers.

I have tried LPCM and Bitstream on my BDs. LPCM does decode and then pass all appropriate formats to the Onkyo. In this mode, the Onkyo displays multichannel. HOWEVER, my back speakers were not included... thus only 5.1 it seems. I changed to Bitstream and my Onkyo now decodes, indicates, and plays well all 7.1 with TrueHD, THX, DTS, PL2x, etc., etc.

I think the latest Sony PS3 update did the trick for those of us who have been looking. I am very pleased with the surround audio capability of the 705.

cheers

What Bose speakers do you have mate?

I changed to Bitstream and my Onkyo now decodes, indicates, and plays well all 7.1 with TrueHD, THX, DTS, PL2x, etc., etc.

cheers

I can guarantee you are not getting TrueHD sent via bitstream as the PS3 cannot send this via bitstream (yes, even with firmware 2.1). I am sure you re seeing the Dolby Digital light appear and not the TrueHD light. You are getting 7.1 because the Onkyo is matrixing the 5.1 dolby digital stream.

TVMonkey: I use Bose 301s up front, VCS center, and 201 Vs rest way around.

TVMonkey: I use Bose 301s up front, VCS center, and 201 Vs rest way around.

Cool, how do you find the balance between the 301s and the 201s? I use AM6s myself and they sound great through the 605.

Hi Rom any advive on which sound setting when playing DVD's and BRD's via 605?

I presumed the 'Pure Audio' format with the blue light would be better but after going through the various different sound settings I found 'Neo Cinema 6' sounds miles better.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Hi Rom any advive on which sound setting when playing DVD's and BRD's via 605?

I presumed the 'Pure Audio' format with the blue light would be better but after going through the various different sound settings I found 'Neo Cinema 6' sounds miles better.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I would've thought that unless you're running a 6.1 system that Neo 6 wouldn't be worth it. Surely you're better off using DD/DTS/DD TRUEHD/DTS MA HD?

I would've thought that unless you're running a 6.1 system that Neo 6 wouldn't be worth it. Surely you're better off using DD/DTS/DD TRUEHD/DTS MA HD?

Yes, that was my impression too but after watching Kingdom last night on DVD - I skipped back to the last fight scene and tested different sound options. The Neo 6 Cinema option sounded great with bullets literally whizzing around the room, I was almost running for cover :D

edited to add - just checked and it's displaying PCM - DTS - HDMi Neo 6 Audyssey

Guys, please help a n00b...

My BD/DVD Settings has the BD/DVD Auto Output Format (HDMI) set to Linear PCM.

I'm watching Ice Age 2 on Blu-ray, and when I push select, I get: "DTS 5.1 Ch. 48 KHz 1.5 Mbps MPEG-2 20.7 Mbps"

On my Onkyo 605, I see "VCR/DVR 40" -- When I push display I get "MCH PCM 5.1" and then "fs: 48KHz" and then "VCR Multich"

Is this correct? Am I hearing dts-HD Master Audio? Is this HD sound?

I don't notice any difference to be honest. I only just noticed my PS3 was set to "Bitstream" rather than "Linear PCM"

Can anyone confirm I can doing everything right?

What's the best way to hear something special? I have Spiderman 3, Ice Age 2 and Into The Blue on Blu-ray. Is there any special bits in any of these films or whatever? I've never heard HD sound before.

Cheers guys.

EDIT: I'm now watching Spiderman 3 rather than Ice Age 2 and when I push select, I see the Dolby TrueHD logo (5.1 Ch.) at 48 KHz. My amp says Multich. Is everything correct? Am I hearing TrueHD?

I'm watching Ice Age 2 on Blu-ray, and when I push select, I get: "DTS 5.1 Ch. 48 KHz 1.5 Mbps MPEG-2 20.7 Mbps"

On my Onkyo 605, I see "VCR/DVR 40" -- When I push display I get "MCH PCM 5.1" and then "fs: 48KHz" and then "VCR Multich"

I don't notice any difference to be honest. I only just noticed my PS3 was set to "Bitstream" rather than "Linear PCM"

What's the best way to hear something special? I have Spiderman 3, Ice Age 2 and Into The Blue on Blu-ray. Is there any special bits in any of these films or whatever? I've never heard HD sound before.

Cheers guys.

EDIT: I'm now watching Spiderman 3 rather than Ice Age 2 and when I push select, I see the Dolby TrueHD logo (5.1 Ch.) at 48 KHz. My amp says Multich. Is everything correct? Am I hearing TrueHD?

Hi Kryptix :)
With the PS3 and a HDMI 1.3 receiver (yours ;) ) you can leave BD/DVD Auto Output Format (HDMI) set to Bitstream as long as you either select the PCM track or the DTS-HD MA track of the Blu-ray disc. :smashin:
PCM track your getting HD audio,DTS HD track your getting the core,as the PS3 can't internally decode this yet :rolleyes: but when and if it does get this in a update you will have to set the PS3 to LPCM to enjoy the FULL track :) same as TrueHD.
The PS3 can't send HD audio Bitstream .
So,if you just choose the PCM track you can leave (PS3) on Bitstream,if you want the TrueHD track,you have to set the PS3 to LPCM :cool: both methods your enjoying HD audio. :thumbsup:
Cheers mate. :)

Cheers guys.

Hi Kryptix. The short answer is yes, the settings are correct and you are TrueHD through your speakers.

Cheers guys. :thumbsup:

What are the best settings on the receiver for the audio? I found so many options but didnt know which one to choose.

What are the best settings on the receiver for the audio? I found so many options but didnt know which one to choose.

Not sure what you are asking for here? Do you mean the DSP modes? Personally I have the PS3 movies playing on 'Direct Audio' as this is how it was recorded - as-is on the disc. If you want to use the DSP modes (like Neo, PLII etc) then use them if you like it but it is not the way the sound is really intended to be listened to.

The only time I may use DSP is when I have a mono or stereo soundtrack and I would possibly select something like Neo: movie to bring my surrounds to life. I tend to fiddle as little as possible with the original soundtrack.

Not sure what you are asking for here? Do you mean the DSP modes? Personally I have the PS3 movies playing on 'Direct Audio' as this is how it was recorded - as-is on the disc. If you want to use the DSP modes (like Neo, PLII etc) then use them if you like it but it is not the way the sound is really intended to be listened to.

The only time I may use DSP is when I have a mono or stereo soundtrack and I would possibly select something like Neo: movie to bring my surrounds to life. I tend to fiddle as little as possible with the original soundtrack.

Totally agreed, there's little point in compromising the original quality by getting the amp to re-process the original intended signal.

I do occassionally Neo6 it up for stereo if i'm watching a film on TV though. But for the most part i just use the intended soundtrack (DD,DTS etc).

:hiya: hi all.
has anybody got a breakdown of frequency codes or a link to such. DD = 2ch 48KHz 256 kbps mpeg-2 7.7mbps, DTS = etc.
:lease:thanks in advance.

This has helped my thinking out actually. With my HD player and PS3, i've got 3 main choices of non-DSP listening: Pure Audio, DVD Direct or Multichannel.
I had a spare 5 mins at work, so rather than buggering about with different film clips on different settings - I phoned Onkyo support, who didn't have a bloomin clue!
Anyway, have watched last 2 films in Multichannel (my understanding was that this was unprocessed and as the player intended). However, vocals sound a little muffled/quiet in places.
Having tried Pure Audio before, this does seem to be very clear indeed on all 7 channels - so despite the annoying big blue circle of light beaming into my otherwise pitch black HC room, that's what i'll be using from now on!

Nice one guys, and maybe this is of use to wabj too?

Nickfiend... :D

Totally agreed, there's little point in compromising the original quality by getting the amp to re-process the original intended signal.

I do occassionally Neo6 it up for stereo if i'm watching a film on TV though. But for the most part i just use the intended soundtrack (DD,DTS etc).

I've looked at many of the settings in this post but I still cant get the truehd etc to play through my 605. Got it working for my EP35. Can anyone help? Very frustrating....

I've looked at many of the settings in this post but I still cant get the truehd etc to play through my 605. Got it working for my EP35. Can anyone help? Very frustrating....

As said in my original post, you will never get TrueHD displayed on your amp from a PS3. To get this you have to send the audio to the amp via bitstream. The PS3 cannot send HD Audio via bitstream so you will only see 'Multich' on the amp.

As long as you're seeing TrueHD on the info when you press the select button on the PS3 and you have your output on the PS3 set to LPCM through HDMI and you are seeing Multichannel on the front of your 605 you are getting the TrueHD soundtrack. It's being decoded by the PS3 and sent to the amp as LPCM. It's exactly the same as your amp decoding it, though i'm sure the 605 would do the better job of decoding.

It's all lossless so don't worry. :smashin:

As long as you're seeing TrueHD on the info when you press the select button on the PS3 and you have your output on the PS3 set to LPCM through HDMI and you are seeing Multichannel on the front of your 605 you are getting the TrueHD soundtrack. It's being decoded by the PS3 and sent to the amp as LPCM. It's exactly the same as your amp decoding it, though i'm sure the 605 would do the better job of decoding.

It's all lossless so don't worry. :smashin:

Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

Rom your post is truly excellent. I wish I had been able to read it a few weeks ago. :smashin::smashin::smashin:

Instaed I spent a long time going through numerous posts trying to glean what info I could from numerous sources, some incorrect, some correct, all confusing at the time. You have set everything out so well.

The playstaion 3 secrets site is also informative:
http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html
Other users might also find it useful
The info below is taken directly from there

The PS3 provides options for either "Bitstream" or "Linear PCM" when outputing the audio signal. This option is located in the "Settings->BD/DVD Settings->BD/DVD Audio Output Format(HDMI)" and "Settings->BD/DVD Settings->BD Audio Output Format (Optical)" settings of your XMB. Linear PCM is audio data that is not encoded (nor compressed) and is in it's pure digital form, ready for conversion into analog for the speakers. A regular CD stores all its songs in Linear PCM form. Most audio starting with the DVD store digital data encoded and compressed (like Dolby Digital or DTS Digital Surround). If "Bitstream" option is selected, the PS3 will take this undecoded and uncompressed audio and send it untouched to the HDMI or TOSLINK cable for your external decoder to decode. In other words, the receiver at the other end of the HDMI or TOSLINK must have special chips that can decode and uncompress formats like Dolby Digital and DTS Digital Surround, and then convert the resultant Linear PCM to analog (via a DAC) for the speakers connected to the external decoder. If "Linear PCM" option is selected, the PS3 will actually decode the audio into Linear PCM first, before sending it to the HDMI or TOSLINK. In this case the receiver on the other end of the HDMI or TOSLINK only needs to convert the Linear PCM to analog for the speakers connected to it. Because of the current bandwidth limitations of TOSLINK, choosing Linear PCM (the decoded and uncompressed signal) on this connection limits you to only two channels of audio. For multichannel (like 5.1) over TOSLINK, you must use "bitstream", which uses smaller bandwidth of compressed and encoded data.

Audio Compatibility Chart

PS3 CompatiblityBitstream (HDMI)LPCM (HDMI)Bitstream (TOSLINK)LPCM (TOSLINK)AV MultiLinear PCM 7.1YesYesNoNoYes (Stereo)Dolby TrueHD 7.1NoYes (5.1)NoYes (Stereo 44.1kHz)Yes (Stereo)Dolby TrueHD 5.1NoYesNoYes (Stereo 44.1kHz)Yes (Stereo)Dolby Digital PlusYesYesYesYes (Stereo)Yes (Stereo)Dolby DigitalYesYesYesYes (Stereo)Yes (Stereo)dts-HD MA (7.1)NoNoNoNoNodts-HD HRA (7.1)NoYes (5.1)NoYes (Stereo)Yes (Stereo)dts Digital SurroundYesYesYesYes (Stereo)Yes (Stereo)SA-CD 5.1NoYes (176kHz)NoYes (Stereo 44.1kHz)Yes (Stereo)SA-CD StereoNoYes (176kHz)Yes (Stereo 44.1kHz)Yes (Stereo 44.1kHz)Yes (176kHz)

The other stuff in the site is also useful. Hope this is of help to others

You're more than welcome Peckcolin. Glad you found it useful. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom