Quantcast

FAQ: Setting up a PS3 to an Onkyo amp

dante01

Distinguished Member
Hi, thanks for reading. I had an input lag issue with my new TV (audio out of sync with video) which meant that I have to output an HDMI cable from my sky box directly to the TV as well as an optical from the sky box to my 608 amp. I have the same problem with my PS3, however I'm unable to receive sound at the 608 although there is light leaving the optical cable and I'm sure that it is inserted correctly, secondly, even if I got this to work would I have been better off sound wise with HDMI? would some sort of HDMI cable splitter be a better option?
The issue you have has nothing to do with passing video through your receiver. The issue is due to the video processing carried out by your TV!

If using optical rather than HDMI in order to convey audio then you are restricted to SD quality audio formats. Only HDMI can convey HD audio formats from your PS3 to a suitably equipped AV receiver. HD formats are used on Blu-ray movie titles.

THere's no benefit gained by outputting video directly to your TV via HDMI while outputting audio via optical to your receiver. The TV is causing the delay, not your receiver and you are limiting your audio to SD quality formats by doing so. Connect your PS3 directly to your receiver via HDMI and look at your TV's video processing settings to see what can be done to reduce the use of video processing. Some TV's have a games mode specifically put in place to reduce the amount of video processing.

jedbo

Standard Member
Thanks loads for taking the time to reply. I was advised by staff in richersounds to try that method of connection with the sky hd box, audio was so far out of sync that the 200ms trim that the sky box has, wasn't enough, it worked perfectly. That's why I'm considering splitting the ps3 hdmi cable so that I don't have to use optical. As far as I can tell all tv processing is disabled. Is there any reason why this shouldn't work?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Thanks loads for taking the time to reply. I was advised by staff in richersounds to try that method of connection with the sky hd box, audio was so far out of sync that the 200ms trim that the sky box has, wasn't enough, it worked perfectly. That's why I'm considering splitting the ps3 hdmi cable so that I don't have to use optical. As far as I can tell all tv processing is disabled. Is there any reason why this shouldn't work?
It shouldn't work because the AV receiver isn't the problem. You'd also be limiting what the source outputs via HDMI to the lowest common dominator, that being the audio capabilities of your TV. Again, this will result in you only getting SD quality audio formats in association with Blu-ray titles even though such titles have superior HD audio included with them.

Your AV receiver does not process the HDMI video passing through it so how can it be to blame for the lipsync issues you are having?

jedbo

Standard Member
I can only point out that bypassing the receiver solved the problem with audio from the sky box instantly,if I was to redirect it through I would be left with something that is unwatchable. When the PS3 was output through the receiver the lag was so bad that online gaming was impossible, being killed by players that were not even visible is disheartening to say the least.

PC1975

Did your 608 work fine with your old TV? Have these issues only cropped up with the new TV?

If you have no problems when connecting the sky box and ps3 directly to your TV then it would seem that the problem does lie with the 608.

Is there some kind of factory reset or similar you can do with the 608? If there is I would try that, it might resolve the issues. I have played xbox 360 and ps3 online multiplayer passed through my 609 with no problems at all.

You could try different TVs with it. If it works fine with other TVs that would at least confirm the problem is specific to your new TV.

dave77

Do you have a new Sky box? If so you can now output Dolby via HDMI, you don't need optical anymore. You just need to enable Dolby over HDMI in settings

mwdynamics

Standard Member
Hi all,
I've got a onkyo 616 and a ps3 I'm trying to get some audio through. I have my sky had box and sound is as you would expect. But with the ps3 I'm just getting background noise. I've been through the settings and here is what the digital input says. Bd/DVD coax 1, Cable/sat coax 2, Game optical 1, Tv/cd opt 2. I've tried each and still don't get the correct noise. I've been through the setting and it won't change to hdmi at all. As I'm not using a blue ray or DVD player do I just connect a coax into it and work around it that way? I'm a bit lost on what I can change otherwise. Ps3 settings seem good though.
The ps3 is connected via a hdmi cable and the bd/DVD is on linear PCM. I have also tried bitstream. I have also tried these in all the ways possible with the bd audio output for optical digital but still no proper sound.
Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:

PC1975

1. Select the input you want to use (ie game)

2. Bring up the setup menu, choose 'Source setup' then 'Audio selector' and you can change to hdmi.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

mwdynamics

Standard Member
1. Select the input you want to use (ie game)

2. Bring up the setup menu, choose 'Source setup' then 'Audio selector' and you can change to hdmi.

Hope that helps.
I've tried that and there's still nothing :-(

thestig230

Right, in preperation for my shiney new PS4 is there a way to input user defined display names?

I want my HT-R548 amp to display PS4 on the screen when I select the "Game" on my remote?

Zevon7

Standard Member
There are 2 different menus where you choose the settings. Ill have to look up specifically what theyre called as I am at work now, but going from memory; in one you can choose which optical/coax associates to which input, and in another menu you can choose whether to select HDMI or the digital input for sound.

In there you can force whether its DTS etc as well.

If you don't find this before tonight, I will look up the menu when I get home.

--
On top of that you have to go to the sound setup in the PS3 and make sure youre outputting it to HDMI as well.

I've got it to send sound through, I'm still working on getting it to be Full surround though.

I've tried that and there's still nothing :-(

stelangton

Standard Member
Hello all, ive been reading through the thread, however the problem i have is the 875 isnt 3d compatible. At the moment i have the ps3 to the tv via HDMI and an optical cable to the 875. I have tried everything but the 875 doesnt display DTS, or DD?? I understand optical doesnt carry MA or HD but i have no idea what to try next, has anyone else had this problem? (TV is Pan txp55vt65b, ps3 slim and 875)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
stelangton said ' has anyone else had this problem?' Yes everyone with a non-3D compatible HD Audio capable AVR!

You either have to replace the AVR, install a device which can decode and Output the HD Audio as multiple RCA to the relevant Inputs on your AVR or stick with DD/DTS via Optical or Coaxial.

Our Octava HDMXA71 has HDMI In with HDMI plus 7.1 RCA Out if you prefer to retain your current AVR and access the HD audio from the PS3 - Media Factory - Octava HDMX71-UK, 4x2 HDMI Switch with 7.1 analogue audio.

Joe

joshtbh

Novice Member
Hi all I've read a few pages of this thread and followed the instructions on teh first page but can only get video and no audio through my Denon SR505-E. I've tried HDMI settings to automatic and manual with everything tickeed, and bitstream and LCPM and still no joy. Any ideas please?

joshtbh

Novice Member
In case anyone found my post I thought I'd report what I was missing......

1) My AVR can't output sound AND video through HDMI, so I needed a TOSLINK cable.

2) there's a setting on the Onkyo which assigns a digital audio input to the current video, I needed to choose my optical port here. Just hope it remembers that setting now :)

JOHNBONLIVE

Novice Member
Hello all, how I set my xbox 360 and ps3 with hdmi to the onkyo tx-nr626, i am new to this. I watch tv using xbox 360 media center, please advise

berkeley384

All iPlayer content broadcast by the BBC is encoded as stereo. You'd need to use Pro Logic or similar on your amp in order to create pseudo surround or multi channel audio from the output of your PS3 while you are using it to view iPlayer content. All PS3 output will be 2 channel PCM while using the iPlayer.
Problem is you can't engage Pro Logic or at least you can't on the 818 I have - connected via HDMI

Seems the BBC iplayer app on PS3 forces LPCM without a way to change it, so the amp won't let you engage the pseudo surround effects

Same with now TV - is there a work around?

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
You could go into the audio settings and manually configure the PS3 to not output multichannel PCM and only output 2 channel PCM, but this would effect all audio output and not just that associated with the iPlayer.

Dolus

Problem is you can't engage Pro Logic or at least you can't on the 818 I have - connected via HDMI

Seems the BBC iplayer app on PS3 forces LPCM without a way to change it, so the amp won't let you engage the pseudo surround effects

Same with now TV - is there a work around?
I don't have an Onkyo 818 but its older brother the 809.

I just tried BBC iPlayer via the PS3 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell' from last night and my Onkyo displays Multichannel on the front panel and pressing the display button at the top of the remote displays Multichannel 7.1 PCM in and Multichannel 7.1 PCM out on the TV screen. It sound better than when I watched live last night but the picture suffers only being SD.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
I don't have an Onkyo 818 but its older brother the 809.

I just tried BBC iPlayer via the PS3 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell' from last night and my Onkyo displays Multichannel on the front panel and pressing the display button at the top of the remote displays Multichannel 7.1 PCM in and Multichannel 7.1 PCM out on the TV screen. It sound better than when I watched live last night but the picture suffers only being SD.

If the Onkyo was displaying the input as Multichannel 2.0 PCM in then pressing the lozenge shaped button marked Movie/TV (after pressing the white receiver button) I can cycle through the different sound schemes.
The issue is that the receiver will not apply Pro Logic or similar to audio that comprises of the full compliment of channels. Pro Logic only creates pseudo channels for channels that are absent so if the console is outputting 7.1 LPCM then Pro Logic isn't and cannot be applied to it. Basically, it is only when the source is stereo that Pro LOic can be applied. The PS3 outputs 7.1 by default even if there's no audio present in association with the channels other than the front 2. The receiver cannot apply Pro LOgic processing to the LPCM source coming from the PS3 even though there's only audio present within the front stereo channels included in the 7.1 PCM stream coming from the console.

berkeley384

The issue is that the receiver will not apply Pro Logic or similar to audio that comprises of the full compliment of channels. Pro Logic only creates pseudo channels for channels that are absent so if the console is outputting 7.1 LPCM then Pro Logic isn't and cannot be applied to it. Basically, it is only when the source is stereo that Pro LOic can be applied. The PS3 outputs 7.1 by default even if there's no audio present in association with the channels other than the front 2. The receiver cannot apply Pro LOgic processing to the LPCM source coming from the PS3 even though there's only audio present within the front stereo channels included in the 7.1 PCM stream coming from the console.
I started to try and select the LPCM options but some of them can not be deselected