1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAQ misleading on resolutions?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by peejay, Aug 14, 2003.

1. peejay

peejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not another thread on resolution, surely... But it occurred to me that the FAQ at the www.avsforum.com (http://www.avsforumfaq.com/~plasma/) might be a bit misleading for those of us in Europe when it comes to resolution. The FAQ basically says don't worry about resolution. Isn't that because it's an American FAQ, and panels with 480 lines are pretty much designed for American broadcast TV, whereas PAL's 576 lines need to be downscaled?

I know there are other things about picture quality, but it does seem odd to me to pay masses for a TV that will actually show less detail than my old existing one.

(On a related topic, is the JVC PD-42D30 actually out? Is it on show anywhere in central London? Has anyone here got one?)

Cheers,

Peter

2. krl25sc

krl25sc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right on the resolution point and I thought a lot about this before buying a Panasonic 6 series (852x480) but ultimately decided that this plasma had the best overall PQ (to me anyway) in its price range despite the resolution "limitation" (and as a fellow board member suggested to me yesteday just stock up on R1 DVDs!).

As you say, there are other things about PQ - one other thing that I factored in was the DVI input. The quality of the signal through the DVI input fed with a HCPC signal is noticeably better than through the component input (fed a progressive scan signal). So a screen may have a higher resolution (and a higher price tag) but you won't be able to make the most of it because you can't feed it the best signal i.e. no DVI input.

3. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pioneer PDP-433MXE has a DVI input, and has a 1024 x 768 progressive resolution.

The current DVI input will take computer resolutions, for best results you would feed it native 1024 x 768. In fact with a well put togther HCPC acting as a scaler you would be laughing.

I am currently looking into a demo of feeding it a HD scaled input through its DVI via a PC built around the Immersive HOLO3DGRAPH II plus HD-AUX card.

4. krl25sc

krl25sc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tbrar - the Pioneer 43" was my first choice but ultimately out of my price range, especially with an Aurora/Key Digital board, and I think it's currently the least expensive 42"/43" HD capable panel (?). Like to hear your experiences with the HCPC HD signal - I have a Dell Dimension 8300/Radeon 9800 Pro set up which really gives a great picture (non-HD I assume?) through DVI. Sorry to go slightly off-topic on this thread!