1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAO Scooby (Doo) Sony KP44PS2..

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by captaindobie, Dec 26, 2004.

1. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Merry Christmas Scoobs...

Was just having a look through some threads from earlier this year and stumbled across your screen stack tweak for the above TV.
    As you can probably gather, i didn't have enough courage or confidence to try this one before. However, bored with Christmas telly (with the exception of Shameless and the Steptoe & Son repeats:smashin: ) i have decided to now give this a bash (sometime next week)
    I will let you know how i get on. I also noticed that you had posted in some threads previously...not too sure how i missed those but please accept my apologies...i wasn't trying to ignore you :blush:

(Anyway, if it all goes wrong then i may just have to buy a new TV :devil: )

2. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Yeah I'm still here. Tv still out of this world. Screen stack is well worth the effort just make sre nothing gets trapped between. I will one day make some spacers so I can rempve the reflective part altogether as I do think some of the light does get shined back onto itself but the benefits far outweigh this (especially in a lit room/ sunny room. Also used the fishing wire trick for the focus and got it spot on now.

Also now got a 57 WH36 that is staring to get "tweaked". Reckon I,m going to try a lens hood for the Sony & Toshiba. I reckon these RPTV's still rule the roost if you set them up correctly.

3. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Ok Scooby Doo,

Finally gone & done it. And you're right, virtually all reflections reduced to zero.

Excellent :thumbsup:

I have done this slightly different to you, and removed the front layer of the screen completely as it did have quite a few scratches/marks that we were very visible in sunlight. Was a little confused at times but it all made sense in the end. Happy to report that my mirror was almost spotless. I did, however, have to remove quite a bit of grime from the bulbs (as suggested, i did this very carefully)
    Still need to do a little convergence tweaking but on the whole very happy with the results.

Thanks Scooby... :clap:

4. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Well done. Definately worth the effort, shouldn't have took too long. Just watch out that you dont get any damage on the lenses now. I did posr something about this on the latest sony thread for the new model as I think this had some straking issues that may have been helped with this tweak as I find contrast can be reduced by some margin now.

5. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Scooby...

Could you do me another favour? If you get a minute, can you check in the service menu and let me know what settings you have for the following..

DEVICE REGISTER...

Picture Booster menu,

CFS (5) - Do you have this ON or OFF?
    CDS (21) - Again, do you have this ON or OFF?

MID-X menu,

Do you have TEXT SHARP On or OFF?

Thanks...

6. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Will check when I get home from work today

7. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    CFS ON
    CDS ON
    TEXT OFF

Have you done the SVM mod, this should really be at the top of your list to do

8. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for that Scooby.

I have done the SVM mod. (again, thanks to you!) and it worked a treat.
    What i am struggling with at the moment is trying to balance sharpness/detail.
    Simply turning sharpness off as is recommended in most AV articles on the subject actually blurs the image. I have played around with the settings in the colour decoder menu (sharp focus,eq,gain etc) but can't seem to make up my mind on which is best. It doesn't help when there is so much variation in broadcast quality between all the SKY channels.

Any thoughts?

9. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    should be able to get sharpness up without any ringing a lot further thanks to no SVM. My picture is excellent on all sources including SKY. Have you got AVIA? Find I dont need to mess around with any settings whatsoever. Sometimes movie channels are almost as good as DVD. Low Bitrate I feel are as good as I reckon you could possibly get all things considered. The TV is very good at handling a variety of signal sources.

10. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have been using DVE rather than AVIA. Will just have a play around over the next couple of days. In the end, i will no doubt return everything to the settings i previously had them at and decide that, after all, it does look great...:suicide:

Thanks again...