1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAO: PV500 owners with PS2 and/or Xbox connected via component....

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Daipac, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    If you have a PV500, preferably a 37PV500, and you have a PS2 and Xbox connected via component and Xbox HD kit, I was hoping that you would be able to test something for me.

Can you play a DVD using the component or Xbox HD kit, depending on what console you have of course, and tell me what the quality is like.

I have done tried both consoles on both connections and whenever I play a DVD I get loads of white vertical banding lines down the screen. THIS IS NOT VISIBLE WHEN PLAYING GAMES.

If you test this and let me know if you get the same, I would be very grateful.

Any ideas what this could be ?

Cheers,

D

2. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Nobody ?

3. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Personally I wouldn't use an Xbox or PS2 to play a DVD simply because they're just addon extra's to help them sell, not entirely thought out. If it only happens on DVD's then it cant be the cable, but if it happens on both the XBox and PS2 then there has to be something amis in either consoles or the TV, does it happen with every DVD? Do you have a standalone DVD player you could try over component? Do the consolse still artifact over scart?

I'm not an expert in this by any means but hopefully I haven't sent you on a wild goose chase.

4. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Jim, at the moment, I have no option but to use my PS2 connected via RGB scart to play DVDs. To be honest, the PS2 gives a decent PQ and I am happy with it via the current connection, especially as the plasma is in our bedroom. I don't use my Xbox or PS2 via component to watch DVDs but I wanted to know if this was a fault with the TV or does everyone get this problem ?

I don't have a standalone DVD player with component out to try unfortunately.

5. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    It shouldn't be a problem, are you changing the default output setting in the PS2 dashboard to output over component? I'm not able to check for you as I dont have my PV500 yet but i'll be in the same situation as you until I get a standalone DVD player, so hopefully it turns out to be something simple. You'll probably get a more knowledgable reply from someone this evening as the majority of the veterans on here would be at work I would assume.

Hope you can get this sorted out :thumbsup:

6. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    When I first had the TV I tested the PS2 DVD playback via component and I had the banding. I changed to RGB scart as I wanted to use the Xbox HD kit in the component inputs so at the moment I am not using component for DVDs.

I haven't got a DVD playback kit for the Xbox but I borrowed one off a friend to check if it was any different on the Xbox and again, I get the banding lines.

At the moment, it is not affecting me as I am using the RGB scart for the PS2 but I want to make sure that there is nothing wrong with the TV and, like you say, it is something simple.

7. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    I have a 42" PV500 and my xbox plays dvd fine using component output, I did have some trouble to start with it not working at all, but a bios flash solved it and has been great ever since.

Took a pic to show its fine but its not the best one I ever took :)

Attached Files:

8. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for that dino.

I don't understand it, I have both Xbox and PS2 which I have tried via component, both give a fantastic PQ on their respective dashboards and when playing games but when I watch DVDs on them, I get the banding.

Do you think it could be a fault with the TV ? My Xbox and PS2 are both unmodded so I can't see why I am getting this. Any ideas ?

Can anybody else try this for me please ?

9. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Did you say they both work fine through scart?

10. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I get a great picture through SCART on both of them, yes.

If anybody else could try this I would greatly appreciate it.

11. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    As far as I know, you have to mod your box to get it working with component, there is no pal support for component, I know that you have to select NTSC on the x3 mod chips to get it to work on them, if you want an unmodded box and component you have to use a American/Jap box, though it could be possible to use a bit of software to switch the video mode, but not sure if that works on non modded boxes

12. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You can do a softmod using a software hack , then you just remove the hack but it still stays at HD as far as I understood

13. AndyH

AndyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'll give this a go for you when I get home from work!

Edit - Sorry, no vertical lines of any type on the PS2 using component into my 37PV500.

That's using an IXOS PS2->Component cable.

I have to say though, the quality of the DVD output from the PS2 is really not good. I've never tried playing a DVD on it before, I mean its better than nothing, but you aren't doing justice to the screen!

14. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for that Andy.

So, do I have a fault with my screen ? Why am I getting banding when using component to watch a DVD on both my PS2 and Xbox ?

I know the PS2 is not a great DVD player but for now, it will have to do. I am planning on replacing it sometime soon but for now I have to make do with the PS2.

I don't know what to do now, the screen is only 2 weeks old so do I try and get a replacement ? Really, I would like to try a DVD player via component to check if there is any banding but I don't have access to one !

:suicide:

15. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  16. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Eurgh, that PS2 looks terrible, I know it looks bad on CRT too but I dont think I could bring myself ot do that on a plasma...=\

If its only in DVD's then there could be something playing up with the consoles, i assume it doesn't happen when watching normal TV on the plasma?

17. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,597
    Poor old Dai - go and buy yourself a new DVD player and cheer yourself up - it should shine with a component or HDMI player.

What film/timecode is that, Kill Bill 2?
    If I have it I will take a pic and post it.

18. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I am taking the photo in bad light with no flash so it is never going to look good. Not saying it is going to look great but it is not that bad.

It is only happens on component when using the Xbox or PS2 to watch DVDs.

19. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I am looking mate but so far I have not found one within my budget, any suggestions are welcome.

I was looking at the Samsung 950, Toshiba 350E or Oppo. Don't want to spend over £100 if I can help it, especially with HD-DVD around the corner.

As for the film, it is Starsky & Hutch, it is right at the start of the film. It won't make any difference tho because it happens on EVERY film. I know it is not film specific.

20. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    OK, I have managed to find a friend who has a DVD player with component out that I am going to borrow tonight. Hopefully this will clear up whether it is the TV or consoles.

21. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Fingers crossed :thumbsup:

22. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    OK....... managed to borrow my friends Liteon DVD player with component output. Not sure how good this DVD player is but I connected it up via component and then selected the HDTV COMPONENT option and it was outputting at 480p. Can't say I noticed that much difference in PQ tho compared to my PS2 through RGB scart.

BUT....... absolutely no banding whatsoever which is good but that just confuses me even more why I am getting it when playing DVDs on my Xbox and PS2 via component.

Now I need to find myself a good DVD player for around £100 to make the most out of this screen.

23. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same budget and have done a lot of digging around for a DVD player - I've just ordered the Pioneer DV575 from richer sounds for £106 (includes delivery + vat)

That has multi-region, component out, optical out and plays divx etc...might be worth having a look at...

24. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I was looking at the exact same DVD player mate. Very tempted to order it but am torn between that and the Toshiba SD350E.

25. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Your using the Microsoft dvd player software built in to the xbox as standard right?? I seem to recall i did have a problem with banding once, it was on a test dvd that Piers come with and it looked terrible, just like your pics, for some reason the Xbox media centre wouldnt play the dvd so I tried the MS one and it worked but with banding like your pic. never did find out why it did it on that DVD

Also the MS xbox software will only push out 480 not sure if its P or I though so if your not going to put a chip in it, you will have a lower resolution than a standard UK dvd player ie 576, you really need to mod the box and put on Xbox media centre this will then allow you to upscale to 720p or 1080i but you then lose online gaming.