1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAO: NTL users.......

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Daipac, May 9, 2005.

1. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    If you are reading this then you are probably using NTL on your plasma. I just want to know what kind of PQ you get from NTL ?

I have been having problems in that the picture seems very pixelated, especially in the backgrounds and the skintone on people's faces.

Is it normal for me to see this on a plasma TV using NTL ?

Cheers for any help with this..........

Dai

2. iendicott

iendicott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Dai, I would say the problem is the NTL box mate, not being funny but the Sony you have in the living room has a really poor picture compaired to other Sony's I seen running off a freeview box. I must say we have an old 29" CRT Tosh running off of a standard Sky box and the quality that produces is great even if it's not 100mhz. I would get hold of a free view box of someone and try it before you get rid of the panel.

3. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Cheeky fooker ! LOL !

;)

It is easier to get a good PQ on a smaller screen like a 29" but I know what you are saying. Everything is just emphasised when you are watching on a bigger screen.

My sister has a freeview box so I will borrow that and see what the outcome is.

I am thinking that NTL is going to be replaced with Sky+ soon if it turns out to be the problem !

4. iendicott

iendicott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I didn't want to tell you mate as you seemed happy with the quality. :rolleyes:
    SKY and SKY + are better in terms of quality over NTL IMHO.

5. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I am sure it is but I still expect a decent PQ.

We are sort of stuck with NTL at the moment as we get it free but to be honest, I can see us getting rid of it becuase even the missus noticed the pixelation !

6. iendicott

iendicott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Mate get your sister Freeview box and try it, YOU WILL see the difference. The inlaws have one on there Sony Vega and the quality is on par with Sky TBH.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Daipac, I think it even depends on what street you are in THB, I had NTL for 5 years, ditched them recently to get the kids to do something other that watch cartoons. My freeview picture might be a bit sharper, might not. It varies far more from channel to channel that from NTL to freeview to sky, and just as much from input to input on your plasma. I think your prob is the scart on the LG, not the output from NTL. There might be a forum member local to you who has a RGB to component converter they could pop around with. That would eliminate one more thing from the enquiry. It doesn't add PQ, would just use the component input on the screen, which the LG owners say is better. The LG I tried, I could not really say that, but that was early firmware, so treat with caution. If it's the scart, then your options are clearer. Change the screen, or if all else is good, buy an adapter.

8. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

100MHZ that's some refresh rate! :D no flicker visible with a set with 1 million cycles/sec refresh rate

Deep Blue as the processor inside must make a 100Mhz set expensive :rotfl:

9. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Enquirer, 100Hz on a CRT TV is nothing special tho ?

10. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HZ =cycles per. sec Khz= 1000. cycles per sec. Mhz=Million cycles per sec.
    100 Hz refresh rate was designed to stop the humans eye/brain ability to see picture flicker.
    BUT it wont make a silk purse out of a pigs ear and can introduce its own set of problems AND is totally off topic from what the original question was .MAW has i feel answered the problem correctly and further info can be found from LG owners.
    Does Chavyboy know you Daipac? as he seems to suggest he knows which model of Sony TV you have and what the picture quality on your TV is like compared to other Sony TV's.

11. iendicott

iendicott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry how is this off topic ? I was suggesting that NTL on his sony wasn't that good and that SKY even on my old 60hz TV was a good picture IMHO ?

And yes mhz was a schoolboy error :oops:

12. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Enquirer, yes chavyboy knows me and was at my house last week watching the very Sony that was mentioned.

OK, just want to hear the views of people who have NTL really. Just to see if they are getting the same problems.

13. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I have NTL analogue cable and Freeview. The Freeview image is FAR superior. I did have NTL digital but down-graded as the basic package was useless and I couldn't justify the cost of the extra packages as the majority of my viewing is DVDs.

14. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I get an excellent picture on NTL Digital (the new Samsung box). It may be something to do with the fact that I had problems with my Broadband several months ago. NTL engineers changed the cable from my house to the box in the street, the white box on the wall outside my house, the white box inside, changed things inside the green boxes going from the one in my road all the way back to the headend and changed things at the headend!! Didn't fix my broadband (using a separate cable modem did!!) but since then my picture has been excellent on just about all chanels, the quality is almost up there with DVD and much better than my Freeview.
    If you try Freeview and it's much better. It may be worth contacting NTL and getting them to do some work on your cabling.

Abs

15. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    My girlfriend works for NTL and so we get most of the package FREE. That is why I am with NTL.

We are using the old Pace boxes and I am sure my girlfriend mentioned that the Samsung boxes were much better.

If I find that the Freeview box is better than I will get her to see if there is something that can be done.

Thanks abs !

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I reckon the best way to improve your broadband speed and your PQ is to lift those lttle flaps in the road on a dark night, and turn everyone else in the road off. I think the STB picture is also 'contention ratio' affected. If everyone else in the road is watching eastenders then your picture suffers.

17. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    My 3Mb broadband is fine, no problems at all with that side of things.

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You must have more eastenders fans that net junkies in your road then!

19. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    I occasionally see comments about NTL in these forums. It is not very often that people specify whether they are watching analogue or digital. My digital Pace box was recently updated to the Samsung one and I can say that the performance has improved considerably. I still use a CRT tv, but it is a much 'sharper' picture. Downside of the Samsung boxes is their lack of anything other than a couple of SCART sockets, no audio out either. NTL service does lack a lot of the BBCi interactive stuff. The price of the service has come down. I was paying £25 for 650k broadband, now I'm paying £17.50 for 1Meg. Rumour has it that NTL are exploring HDTV options using additional cabling they have, presently unused, in their system. I'm not holding my breath.

20. julio

julio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yup i have the new samsung box on ntl with my pio435 picture is pretty good on most channels. i suppose it depends on how much bandwidth certain channels get

21. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I had major issues with NTL pixelating and looking awful on 90% of programs I watched, This was on a 28" JVC CRT. I only put up with it for 3 weeks though and after numerous phone calls during that 3 weeks decided to cancel it and go back to sky.

So my guess with your prob is NTL

22. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks The Gooner, good to hear from someone with a Panny.

You know what ? I think you could be right ! Some channels I watch and they look great but then other channels look plain awful.

The worst of them seems to be E4 ! So much pixelation.

23. jimmyidle

jimmyidle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Back to the first post, I see your screen is a LG RZ42PX11. How is the picture with other sorces ie dvd and normall TV. I just couldent get the picture right on my LG skin tones etc even with DVD and ended up getting John Lewis to take it back and give me a refund. I'm not saying your screen is the problem as I may have just got a duff one, just interested in how it's performing.

24. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    jimmy, to be honest, the only device I have connected to it at the moment is NTL and my PS2 using the standard composite cable. PS2 is not bad considering that but I am waiting for my MS High Def cable for the Xbox and also my component cables for the PS2 before I make my mind up what PQ I can expect.

NTL has put a downer on things a little bit as I thought it was the actual TV that was the problem but the more I see posts on here and the difference between one channel and another on NTL it seems that it could be that NTL is to blame.

I will soon see when the component cables turn up and I could find myself trying to get the NTL box upgraded to the Samsung box or dropping them altogether and going with Sky+.

The LG has the potential to be a great screen and I am hoping that I can sort out decent inputs for it as soon as possible !

25. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Excellent picture for me on NTL, if you click the link in my sig then you'll see a couple of screenshots, BBC News 24 & SkyOne.

As MAW says it depends on your street and how popular cable is around your area.

S.

26. jimmyidle

jimmyidle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like you should get it sorted, I think I was just unlucky with mine as they have some good reviews on the forums. Lots of setting tips out there as well. Cant wait to get another plasma just waiting for fresh stock of the Panasonic with free dvd recorder to come into john lewis. Good deal at 1,9995.
    Cheers
    Jim.

27. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Jim, don't pay £1995, get them to price match this site from £1678.95 with pedestal :

http://www.digital-point.co.uk/model.php?ID=1904

I know people have price matched this site with JL as they have a store in Birmingham IIRC.

Should save you a few £££ !

28. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I seem to get a good picture thru SkyOne too. It has to be down to NTL in my area.

29. jimmyidle

jimmyidle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Daipac, thanks for the tip,looks like a good deal. I think everyone is clearing out old stock ready for the new 500 series,due any time.

30. jamie110

jamie110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Morning,

I started a thread on the forums on this very same topic, to cut a long story short....

Got a Sony KDEP42XS1 plasma, hooked it up through NTL (samsung box) and got exactly like you were describing, pixelated faces etc etc.....

As I work for the manufacturer I had the TV engineers round and tweaked the set, but it made little difference, so called NTL out, they sent round engineers, made me change my scarts and eventually told me the line "our boxes are not compatible" with plasma technology....... as stated above, i work for a manufacturer of plasma technology, so know this is a load of rubbish...

As this was a breach of there contract they terminated my contract and refunded me a months rental (very good customer service)

I now have Sky installed, it is not as good as the CRT set i had but the picture is miles better through here then it is through NTL (i also had phone and a 2meg broadband line)

Someone also mentioned that they are able to send a larger amount of info through Sky than they are through the Cable option, to do with bandwidth of the signal.

Good luck

J