1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAO Mr_Belowski or all - Sanyo Z1 owners.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bristol Pete, Apr 5, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Hey there,

Just wondering if you are still happy with the Sanyo Z1 as it it had a bedding in period in your possession.

I remember that we discussed jagged edges on the X-box games.

Overall you are happy I pressume.

I hope to order mine in the next couple of weeks, dependant on when the builders finish in my house, just wanted an up to date opinion.

Thanks in advance,

Captain Benefit.

2. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Hi again :)

I did some playing around with the Z1's progressive scan inputs (from my progressive scan DVD player) and the jagged edges were completely gone. I need to buy better component video leads, as i was getting some ghosting and interference.

As the jagged edges were my only slight concern, I can honestly say that I'm still delighted with my Z1 and I'm really glad I bought it. I was thinking about what other options I had...

Sony HS10 - too expensive, some units have the dredded bulb-firing bug, throw distance is too long for my room

Panny AE300 - better overall than the Z1 and would have been my preferred option but... With Panny's dodgy customer service for poor AE100 customers, the bad build quality of that unit, and the pittiful 1 year warrantee, I was put off the AE300

In Focus X1 - again, nice picture but the rainbows bugged me, and gave me a headache. Even if they didn't bug me, I want my home-cinema to be enjoyed by guests, so I wasn't willing to risk having friends not enjoy it cos of rainbows or headaches.

Panny AE100 - just not good enough (IMO) for my home cinema needs, and way too many units break down

Sony HS2 - never got the chance to see one running. The HS1 wasn't very good - low contrast, lots of screen-door - so I never chased this one up

Z1 - no rainbows, decent warrantee, right throw distance, no major reliability issues reported, good contrast, lens-shift feature (which I find very very useful), all the connections I needed (VGA, Component, Composite, S-Video), and cheaper than all the other options except the AE100.

So I only really had 1 projector to choose from. But I still love it. If you can, get a good DVD player with p-scan component output and buy good quality leads. In p-scan mode, the jaggies are gone and it looks great (except for the issue I'm having with my crappy leads).

Now I've had the unit for a while, I see it's short-comings, but still only when I look for them. I love it. They rock. Buy one. Enjoy it.

I'm having a few friends over tonight to watch films and play X-Box. I'll post tomorrow (or Monday) and tell you what they say about it.

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Thanks Mr B.

There is nothing more reassuring than reading the opinion of a member here who has the next bit of kit you desire.

Whats spooky is the fact that you mention all of the PJ's that I have looked at, demoed, etc and yet like you, the Z1 comes up trumps every time.

One point to note is that this months What TV & video compares the new Panny 300 to the Z1 so things must be close and like you, I fully intend to use it for both DVD and Xbox.:D

Thanks for the prog scan heads up, I will definately investigate this option once Prog Pal becomes slightly more available.

As I said, now only a matter of weeks before the builder completes his work here, so as soon as done I can get the PJ and set it up. I fully intend to post my 'home cinema experience' on the web so all regulars who have advised me can see how their advice has or has not paid off...:lesson:

Stay in touch, let me know how monday goes.....:smashin:

Captain Benefit

4. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just to add my 2d worth, I am also still very happy with my Z1. I've not had any problems with it.

Can't say that I've noticed any particular problems with jaggies either. I mainly use mine for broadcast TV via a Tivo (plenty of digital artifacts visible!) and the occasional DVD from a non-progressive player (all fed RGB), but the only jaggies that I have noticed have been those that you would get from a PAL source any way. A deinterlacer might make them less visible but it will be doing it at the expense of something else, like sharpness.

Just had my parents round with a CD of wedding photos. Used the projector to show those, not as sharp as a slide projector but impressive nonetheless.

Bill

5. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi

Had my Z1 since xmas and am very pleased with it.

Only had one problem - vertical bands noticable in lighter scenes oon dvd which started to appear about a month ago. I fixed it after reading a post by rone on the yahoo forum.

My settings were 152 and I reduced them to 126.

Using Region 1 Prog Scan.

I put on a clip which had the banding easily visible and then went into the menu so I could see the effect in real time.

Gus

Quote:

*NEW TWEAK VB TWEAK*

You will have to access a new menu which is acutally called "Service Mode"
    to do
    this hold down MENU + INPUT for 5 sec (it's important that it is precisely
    at
    the same time or you will change the input setting to Video which is really
    annoying.)

Once in the "Service Mode" Select Item 14 and change from 156 to 140.

This will remove VB, check on an IRE steps or any low-contrast scene for an
    example. It is imortant to note that this change has two minor downsides.

1) It decrease the amount of GREEN by a small percent. So increase with you
    RGB settings
    to correct white balance.

2) It may take away the horizontal scan-line tweak I previously explained.

Other than that hopefully say goodbye to the nasty vertical bands!

I am now 100% convinced that people who see the z1 at demos, out of
    the box are dissmissing a projector for having poor screen door, when in
    effect they are seeing bad vertical bands. As now I have taken the bands
    away I struggle to see an trace of panel structure, even less than on my
    1280x720 LCD projector!

Have fun!

Rone.

6. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Well I had a load of friends over last night to watch DVDs and play XBox & PS2. They arrived at 5pm, and we were all in the cellar / cinema till 2 in the morning, drinking eating, smoking and staring at the screen :)

They were all amazed at how good it was. They couldn't believe how cinema-like it was, and how big the screen was (I had it set to about 7.5 feet across).

So overall, get one. They're ace. Everyone said so :D

7. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Oh, and no-one found the screendoor distracting at all, or noticed any pixellation. No-one saw jaggies, vertical banding or scan-lines or anything else. I guess you really do get sensitized to all those tiny trivial quirks with projectors :)

8. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Mr_Belowski,

Eating, Drinking and Staring at the screen are all to be encouraged, Smoking NOT ! I'm sure the occasional fag in the vicinity of your PJ would not spell doom, but running it in a location with people smoking over a 9 hour period will lead to optics getting seriously gummed up - anyone who has serviced PJs normally used in pubs for footie will tell you that they're horrible inside from the smoky atmosphere. If you find this piece of advice unnecessarily scolding :)nono: :nono: :D ), feel free to ignore - but you heard it here first.

Gald to know you're having fun tho................. there's nothing like the grin on your mates faces to dispel the more navel-gazing aspects of owning a projector !!!

all the best,

Sean G.

9. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Excellent news.

I am glad your friends are taken by the Z1.

More people to join the front projection club then.

I am literally counting the days until I get mine and I am very excited about it all..:clap:

I just have to be patient for a couple more weeks.

regards,

CB

10. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Yeah, I know smoking (especially those special 'funny' cigarettes you can't buy in the shops) is very bad for the projector... But sometimes you've just gotta take a chance ;)

11. olli

olli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly I am too quite pleased with my Z1.

I get better images with a PC (graph.card geforce 2 gts) than with sub £300 dvd players. What I am not able to achieve is a true 1:1 ratio in order to optimise the screen area and resolution.

Most of the resolution settings conform to 3:2 mode, but the one that comes close is 1280 by 768 pixels, aspect ratio being 1.67 as against 1.78 for a 16:9 panel.

I appreciate any help with changing set up menu in order to get a better display.

Thanks, Olli

12. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Yep. I'm really happy with mine as well. The first one I got had dust blobs (on the LCD). I've had the replacement now for 4 months and have had none at all.

I don't really notice any jaggies on Xbox games. I do notice jaggies on GC more...especially on Super Mario Sunshine.

Overall, couldn't be happier.

Jus.

13. Lare

Lare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah i can also honestly say that i'm pleased with the Z1's performance with the Skyworth player and Hoya FL-D filter which reduces screen door, screen noise and gives better black level, also Xbox in NTSC progressive mode is very good to watch - not DVD's though.

14. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi there,

I am extremely happy with it, although with a filter it can be improved even more!!! I have no regrets at all not choosing AE300 over this one. In fact over at avsforum there are many many members that are well happy with it, even compared with AE300.

One of many examples.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=238517

Lare, may I ask where did you get the Hoya FL-D filter, what is the size and at what cost?

Thanks,

Wasabi

15. xander

xander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've added some setup information or tweaks on the Z1 into my Projector Setup database - see link below (the last one copied from the post above). Please feel free to add more setup info on the Z1 (or pass it onto me and I'll add it). I'm really striving to have one central location with all the setup information consolidated for the benefit of the community at large.

Thanks
    Xander

16. Lare

Lare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wasabi, from local camera store. 55mm and was 26 Euros.
    However, should you find 52mm size - get that, it will fit 100% to the Z1. The 52's were currently out when I asked for one.

17. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Hi
    Doe's anyone know where i can download the manual for this pj?

Cheers:)