1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAO Mr D (aka Dr Panasonic)

Discussion in 'TVs' started by PJONG, Jul 22, 2001.

Tags:
  1. PJONG

PJONG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr D,

You've established quite a reputation for solid Panasonic advice, perhaps you can help me. I've had a new 32PK3 since Tues and initial performance was pretty poor, lots of interference and crosstalk, I followed your earlier posts and sorted out the scart connection along with experimenting with picture settings, broadcast picture now clear. What I need some advice on is on dvd playback, it simply is not as good as I expect from a £1000 telly, poor definition and excessive flickering on titles. Is this as good as it gets, it's not even as clear as my old 25" sharp, am I expecting too much? I'm using the elderly Tosh 2109 along with QED Sqart into AV1. Any advice?

I wasn't too keen on getting a 100hz telly but what's the alternative? Would you recommend the PK25?

Would appreciate any input.

Phil

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    What does the flickering look like? Is it on peak white areas only or across the whole picture area regardles of content? Does it vary according to whether you are watching region1 or region2 material? Does it vary with reference to screen format ie worse on 4x3 better on 16x9?

Do you have any electrical equipment nearby ie an amp directly under the TV.

Do you have anything else apart from the dvd connected? ie VCR?

3. PJONG

PJONG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Flickering most noticable on white lettering typical 50hz I guess, less noticable on 4:3.

I do have several pieces of equipment underneath, but for testing dvd I switch off all equipment, just had dvd region 2 only connected to av1. The picture quality is only on a par with a good broadcast, is there anything I can do to improve it? As I said earlier poor definition, would moving to 100hz help?

Thanks

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Hmm I'd have expected flicker to be more pronounced on large area whites than on text. You are sure you are watching via RGB? ( the colour control will have no effect if you are)

If its good detail levels you want I'd stay clear of 100Hz.( most/all tend to compromise the intensity scale) The mushiness in the picture may be down to bad focus on the set and as such should be rectifiable by an engineer. Also make sure you have NR and AI turned off although these should have little appreciable affect if you watch via RGB.

Failing that I'd get an engineer to take a look ( always a bit dicey as they invariably describe these problems as within spec) or, demand another set ( TVs do vary a lot in quality control you might have got a friday model).

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    Mr D

Diving in on your reply. When you say the colour control wont have any effect on RGB does that apply to all TV sets?

On my JVC 28 WFX1 i can adjust the colour etc etc.

The dvd (Toshiba 210) is outputting an RGB signal into AV1 (RGB capable).

Am i missing out on something here??

cheers

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    Yes. Its a 100hz model.

Thanks for answering my query.

Regards

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    The Panasonic TV mentioned above is a 50Hz model. The RGB input feeds the guns directly. There is no way of adjusting the colour balance short of modifying the output levels from the guns themselves.

I'm assuming because you can adjust colour on your set it is a 100Hz model and or contains an analogue to digital sampling stage allowing for saturation adjustment in yuv space. This is normal for 100Hz sets.
    50Hz sets unless they sample the incoming image do not allow for colour adjustment with RGB: you do not need to adjust RGB colour relationship on a correctly set-up TV. (assuming accuracy in your source: most dvd players give a relatively accurate RGB output for domestic kit)

8. PJONG

PJONG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't it amazing, you buy the magazines, read the articles, buy the av amp, dvd player, speakers, nice interconnects, you're thinking, 'I know what I'm doing'......

It's taken me a week of fiddling around with my brand new 32pk3 telly, disappointd with dvd playback, on the verge of sending it back, 'surely it should be better than my 4yr old sharp!', I exclaimed. Then last night on the stoke of midnight I realised that I hadn't switched the dvd settings to output to a widesceen telly! What a klutz!! Now dvd pictures nice and clear, obviously the telly was trying to blow up a 4:3 image, hence the loss of definition.

You live and learn.

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Nice one hope you're now happy with the set.

10. silver_sam

silver_sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Dr Panasonic or anybody,

I am having a problem with my new Panny TX32PK25. To summarise the problem:

1) On DVD playback (Panny RV41) and LG 2330?(can't remember model no), I notice some CURVY lines (I suppose they are scan lines) on every aspect modes except JUST (Justify mode) where the lines are pure STRAIGHT horizontal from each end.

It's pretty annoying since I can't watch DVD on WIDE 16:9 or PANNY AUTO mode.

2) I notice some kinda 'stain' on top left orner on my telly. it is NEITHER MOIRE PATTERNING NOR any MAGNETIC FIELD (from speakers nearby)

3) The HORIZONTAL TOP, BOTTOM, LEFT and RIGHT BLACK LINES on almost every modes eg 4:3, 14:9, 16:9 are NOT STRAIGHT horizontal nor vertical when watching broadcast BBC ITV C4 etc.

QUES 1) Have u encountered these problems before?

QUES 2) and would u let me know how to fix them?

Thank you

11. silver_sam

silver_sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    back to Problem 1, i forgot to mention that i could see slight 'ghost images' on DVD playback on BOTH players. I am using IXOS 126AV scart to scart. So i assume the telly might be faulty. or could i have done wrong with the DVD or Telly set-up?

i have also experimented with Noise Reduction and Flicker off facilites etc on Panny but NO difference appeared.

Thanks.

12. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    PJONG,
    Have you noticed any of the following with your 32PK3:
    1) Scrolling horizontal lines on pale backgrounds on RGB
    2) Centre third of screen out of focus (particularly noticeable with text, such as on Sky TV guide)
    3) Darkening at left and right edges of screen

13. steve35

steve35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    silver sam,i had the curved line problem big time on my pk25, i got an engineer out within days and he took one look and send he didnt know how to fix it without taking it away. empiredirect who i bought the tv from took it back no problem. if you look at others on here with this tv it seems to be a very common inherent fault. cetainly mr d came up with a solution a couple of weeks ago but my tv had gone by then so i dont know if that would have fixed it. ask him!
    after much indecision ive decided to wait for the new panasonic pb range, specifically the nicam version, to come out. august i believe.
    steve.

14. PJONG

PJONG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keiron,

1) Nope, I only use av1 for dvd rgb, fine picture, though I originally used a scart splitter for Ondigital also. This was not a good idea, lot's of interference and crosstalk. Have you tried a selection of scarts and sources? Same results?

2) Nope, so far ondig pictures pretty good thru av2. My only bug-bear is that the settings for Ondig box between 4:3 and 16:9 seem to have absolutely no effect. I hope this is not a common issue with Sky as I intend to switch to Sky Dig to make use of more frequent widescreen transmissions. Is it that bad?

3) I have come across this fault elsewhere on this forum and have noticed it on my pk3, fortunately it's negligible. I guess it's down to slightly thicker glass at the extreme edges.

Phil