1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAO John Dawson - future HD DVD player features

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Wags, May 16, 2005.

1. Wags

Wags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am now the proud owner of a Sharp 45" panel and it looks great. My DV27A hooked up via component gives a great picture. Of course, you always want more... Just imagine a hi def player hooked up to it!

So, I wonder if Mr Dawson could give us an insight into what he sees happening in terms of format and when would players start appearing on shop shelves.

Also, regardless of the format, what do people want out of their hi-def player? I'll start;

- selection of hi-def format (NB including 1080p)
    - HDCP HDMI / DVI connections,
    - video component connections,
    - 7.1 audio outputs (a lot of us have invested in the 7.1 boards in our amps!)
    - in player adjustment of bass, trim, delays / distance, (what we are used to in our 27As and 29s really),
    - different screens can accept different frame rates (50Hz / 60Hz) can we select that in the DVD player?,
    - backwards compatibility with DVD and CD.

Any others?

2. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Gosh that's a big question and I have no intention of answering it in any kind of detail, not least because much fine detail is not yet known, or is under NDA and it is hard to spec a player let alone start to design one! Having said that all input as to future Arcam player features and benefits is most welcome.

What I would point out is that there are currently two competing formats, blu-ray and HD-DVD, which at the front end are very definitely incompatible because of the physically different disc formats. Just about everyone is agreed we need only one (unified) format but that looks unlikely right now as both sides are deeply entrenched. Blu-ray has more support from hardware makers but HD-DVD looks to be significantly less expensive to replicate, as it needs little new equipment. The substantial capacity advantage of blu-ray (50GB vs 30 GB on dual layer discs) has been effectively negated IMO by Toshiba's announcement and public demonstration of a 3 layer 45 GB disc last week. So there's everything to play for in trying to get one standard.

The back ends of the systems, although different at the outset, are now substantially similar in terms of audio and video CODECs etc. That's competition in action :) I believe the navigators are substantially different however, which is not funny in engineering terms. Though these players can support high definition audio in various ways (DD Lossless, DTS++, DVD-A), I question whether any will ever support SACD.

You may see very small numbers of these players launched at the end of this year in Japan or the USA, but it's more likely now to be sometime next year. Who knows how flaky they will be and whether they will be properly upgradeable to support late changes to the system specs? (As a simple example, remember how the first generation of DVD players didn't support DTS out and the anger that generated amongst early adopters?). Europe is likely to be well behind as there are few true HD displays and little HDTV. There is talk of new "uncrackable" region coding too but this may be just vapourware. Who knows? It's not decided yet AFAIK.

In any case speciality brands that aren't simply rebadges of a main vendor's model are realistically three years away at least, especially if they unify the specs, which will mean more silicon and SW system redesign and thus delays. The R&D costs will be in seven figures for each type so if there are two competing systems which one would you have us go for, given we couldn't afford to bet on both? What if some movies are only available on one format only - do you buy two players? Insanity!!!!

My advice for now is to be patient, invest in the best displays you can find and work to get the best out the existing DVD system. This means very high quality players (like today's Arcam ones, dare I say it?), plus possibly external scalers / deinterlacers and so on. Investing in ISF calibration of your display is a really good way forward too...

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    This is a topic that I am very intrigued to see how the future will pan out.

A great answer John - very insightful! :thumbsup:

4. nicholas_g

nicholas_g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Given there is now no chance of a unified format, I wonder if Arcam have made a decision or are waiting to see which one wins?

5. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I didn't see this thread first time around. I would just like to thank John for such a candid insight to the current issues and considerations facing a/v manufacuturers with regards to HD-DVD and BluRay. Very interesting comments.

6. madshi

madshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    To me is looks like BluRay is going to win, after recently gaining support from almost all hollywood content providers. Main advantage: PS3.

However, I can certainly understand that Arcam can't afford to do a wild guess at who wins. If they guess wrong that would cost them a fortune.

7. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed you may say it as it is true. :thumbsup: Not sure about the remotes mind you :thumbsdow but the players are about the best out there. I like your amps too

Good job John!

8. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    imo hd-dvd will win :)

any format that sony makes always seems to loose in the end...

CaM

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    and now the chinese will be making HD DVD players soon at their usual prices :)

10. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    but the chinese will not be making PS3's

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    exactly

12. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What.....?

Don't tell me they still have not fixed the flipping remotes!!!!

I was just about to take the plunge on a DV79 again. :eek:

I lost two weeks off work last time through injury trying to twist all shapes on the sofa to get the darn remote to work.

Surely, they must have done something!! :rolleyes:

Gerald. :)

13. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant say for sure as I use a Meridian desktop remote to control the DV79 which is excellent. But I do fondly remember a similar fight with the remote. Press a button and MAYBE 15 secs later it would 'sometimes' do something! Grrrr.

Vague is too kind a word for it. BUT!! The player is f'ing brilliant, which is the important thing :clap:

14. Paul_A/V

Paul_A/V
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How about a new format that frees us of lossy compression...

http://www.inphase-technologies.com/

http://www.inphase-technologies.com/news/500gigabit.html

The "next generation" may be too late. Holographic storage may just time it right with the next generation video & multi-channel audio software. By the time "HVD" is commercially viable the dust may be settled on the software which will make early adoption of "HVD" a little easier. We will have to wait and see.

15. ginaandlee

ginaandlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The first HD-DVD player launched in the USA yesterday. Its a Toshiba and was priced at $499 (bit less than 300 pounds). From what i hear the first impressions are favourable, but with only 3 movies at launch and an impending format war im going to hold off for now :)

16. JUST ROCK

JUST ROCK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I THINK THAT BLURAY & HD DISCS WILL BOTH DIE ,LIKE SACD / DVDAUDIO HAS DONE, BECAUSE THE AVERAGE FAMILY ARE HAPPY ENOUGH WITH DVD DISCS & CDS & DONT WANT TOO KEEP BUYING INTO NEW FORMATS REPLACEING ALL THEIR EXCISTING CDS & DVDS. ESPECIALLY WHEN THE NEW FORMATS ARE MORE EXPENSIVE. MOST SHOPS ARE TRYING TOO SURVIVE SELLING CURRENT DVDS & CDS.
    BUT THATS TECHNOLOGY FOR YOU, THEIR ALWAYS TRYING TOO MAKE SOMETHING BIGGER & BETTER, EVEN WHEN WE DONT NEED THEM.:cool:

17. Exirion

Exirion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think there's something wrong with your keyboard, dude.

18. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Yeah, stop shouting it's just rude. :D

19. glimball

glimball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't understand all this griping about Arcam remotes. I have the DV79 and AVR300 and the remotes are just fine! I can locate all of the buttons I need in the dark without too much trouble and don't get the delay that some people refer to.

Am I just too easily satisfied - OR is this another example of Brits just whingeing about nothing much at all?

20. drum63

drum63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    We can't help it - whinging about nothing is the first thing we learn at Nursery school. :)

Maybe you just point the remote at the device naturally and therefore get it to respond as expected, whereas others, (including myself), have been spoilt by other manufacturer's kit where a "point the remote anywhere within 500 yds and we'll still do what you want" approach works.

21. glimball

glimball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Off topic I guess ... but I think you are right; what you think is good depends on what you have to compare it with. My Arcam remotes are excellent compared with my Humax one - it has to be pointed with such accuracy that I'm thinking of fixing a gun sight to it.

22. glimball

glimball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Off topic I guess ... but I think you are right; what what on thinks of as good depends on what you have to compare it with. My Arcam remotes are excellent compared with my Humax one - it has to be pointed with such accuracy that I'm thinking of fixing a gun sight to it.

23. rover2002

rover2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Bingo !

And on a side note, England 'v' Portugal ! Can we do it? can we go further and beyond that of past visits and maybe just maybe a repeat of 66?
    yea i doubt it to, but it will sound nice through my arcam which brings me to a question.
    I'll post this here instead of wasting space with a seprate thread:I have until now used the arcams tones to set lvls but i would now like to use 'Avia/DVE'.How do i go about disabling or avoiding the Arcam auto/manual tones?
    Its probably a silly question and the answer as always is probably sitting in front of me in the manual saying 'look here you silly bastard' but i just can't find it.
    Many thx
    Will.

24. rover2002

rover2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    My avarage family knows how to turn of 'Caps Lock'.

25. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    At least we have a reliable 'guide' to timescales for the future.

If you want the quality kit you will simply have to wait a bit.

Buy British. You know it makes sense.:smashin: