1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAO Hitachi 42PD5300 Users - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Red JFK, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Red JFK

Red JFK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

I've been an avid viewer of this forum now for months and have been noting some of the excellent advice on here.

I wanted to purchase a Panasonic PW6/7 but in the end pressure from the boss lady made me plump for the Hitachi 42PD5300. Basically, she wanted a TV that acted like a TV rather than having to mess with Amps etc. So in the end, to get the plasma I had to get the Hitachi. I seen one set up in Richer Sounds and the picture looked excellent.

It arrived yesterday and I set it up but I have to say I'm a little dissapointed with the picture from my Sky Digital box. I've read numerous reviews of the 5300 on here and in magazines and the picture quality is mentioned as a real selling point.

I'd like to know how the other 5300 users out there have set there's up. Are there any settings that I should have on the TV? Should I invest in a top quality RGB Scart (the scart I'm using at present is the one that came with the Sky box)? What's the ideal set up in terms of connecting the equipment? I've set it up with my DVD recorder going to AV1 (cracking picture on DVD's) and my Sky going to AV2 (not too good).

The picture I'm getting from Sky is not significantly better than that through the analogue and I'd really appreciate any advice that anyone can give!!

:lease:

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    This has been discussed before, and the general concensus then was to go for a Sky+ box, which has S-Video output. Some have even suggested that Sky+ boxes give superior pictures, but since I don't have a Sky box to compare, I will not confirm or deny this.

I have the same TV connected to a Sky+ box, fed to the 5300 via S-Video, and the pictures are quite good, but not as good as DVD. The quality of individual Sky channels is dependent on how high the bitrate is, and that is the choice of individual broadcasters. On Sky, BBC tends to be marginally better than ITV. The Sky movies subscription channels seem to be of fairly good quality. I'm afraid that it's a fact of life that the larger the screen, the more defects that you will see.

3. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I haven't taken the plunge yet on a plasma (I like my Sony CRT too much, but the day is getting closer, I know!!) but I sat transfixed in front of the very same model at a friends house last week. The picture was simply the best I have ever seen on a TV and I have a good one at home myself. I was a wildlife program and the animals practically jumpoed out the screen. I'm not a techie expert at all, but I know what looks good and what doesn't. I advise you check the connections you're using, source quality and lead quality.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    What was the picture source ?

5. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've got Sky+ connected to the AV2 input on the media box with a good quality (IXOS) fully shielded scart. Picture quality (on the higher bitrate channels) is excellent.

You might want to have a good play with the settings for the panel. Do a search on the forums - IIRC Duncan Wardle posted his settings on here a couple of months ago and I used those with a couple of minor amendments.

HTH

John

6. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    The picture does improve after a bit of use too, believe it or not.
    Either that, or your eyes get used to it.
    Give it a couple of weeks and the screen seems to settle in.

7. Red JFK

Red JFK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks jondon, I think I'll be investing in a new scart later today.

I've done a search on the forum on the name you suggested but it isn't bringing anything back that I can see. Do you remember what the settings were that you changed?

Cheers mate

8. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,667
    Try looking through these :thumbsup:

9. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
  10. Red JFK

Red JFK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help people. I'm a little concerned though that it looks like the 'tweaks' that are mentioned appear to only be relevant to the 5200 model and not the 5300 :thumbsdow

Still, the threads that mention the 'settling in' period are reassuring.

11. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Most of the setting still apply to the 5300.

John