1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAO: Garret, Audiolab 8000S

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by nathan_silly, Jul 29, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SILLY BILLY!: YOUR INBOX IS FULL! :D

I've used my 8000S (and SX/PX) in the AV system for a while.

The S can drive the tweeters and your PX for the bass. However since the S PRE-POWER AV (converts the S into a 2 channel poweramp, direct input from the POWERAMP IN) switch. It does not ouput a signal to the pre-outs - the PX won't work.

However one way around this is to switch the mode to PRE-POWER (and leave it there), take the L/R preouts into a input (ie Video) and set volume to 12 o clock. Not ideal I know.. but at least you've got biamped main speakers.

The 8000S pre-amp is very good.. I couldn't tell any difference between direct in and through the pre-amp (ie hiss didn't increase going through the S pre-amp)

See attached file for pic of back panel

Attached Files:

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,198
    Thanks

By the way I have had about 15 PM tonight some calling on me moderating.:lesson:

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some info taken from the manual..info on MODE switch.

Pre-amplifier; All signals to and from the power amplifier are disconnected. 8000S is ready to function as a stand-alone pre-amplifier.

Integrated; Pre-amp output is connected internally to the poweramp input. Pre-amp outputs are not operational. External power amps, subwoofers or signal processors will not receive any signals.

Pre-Power; Pre-amp output is internally connected to the poweramp input. Pre-amp outputs are operational. A self-powered sub-woofer will operate if connected. It is possible to use a second power amplifier either to bi-amp loudspeakers or to drive an additional pair of loudspeakers in a remote location.

Pre-Power AV;The pre-amplifier and power amplifier operate totally independently. Use for connection of a signal processor, eg, surround sound decoder or loudspeaker equalizer.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,198
    You have got me most interested in this piece of kit but I have just noticed one thing with the top picture Nathan, it does not seem to support a record deck with a Phono input..

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No it doesn't have a built-in phono stage. But we all know using a external phono stage is better anyway! :p

You can look around for a hi quality MM or MC box anyhoo, for example the Tag phono preamplifier PPA20 at £549.95
    :D

6. robertino24

robertino24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HELP: I have moved house, and my removal guys lost my Hi-Fi handbooks.

I need to cable up these two bits of kit to each other. I also bi-wire and biamp, so I need to know how to connect speaker cables. I will also need to cable my REL 100E with the supplied Nutrik cable to these.

Robert

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,198
    Ouch even reading that hurts, please could you reduce the font size to normal.

Will have a look on mine.

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,198
    On my 8000A (the switching one (8000S on yours?))I take 2 leads out of the Pre-Amplifier output 1.

One the 8000PX (the power only one(8000SX on yours?)) I connect them to the RH Inputs.

As to Bi-Wiring just connect the bass speakers to in puts on the power unit using the proper side and correct colour codes.
    And the tweeters to the switching unit the same way.

For the sub I do not have mine connected but strongly think you will connect it to the switching amp to the Pre-Amplifier output 2.