Fantasy £7.5k, what would you buy?

indus

Distinguished Member
As the title says if you had £7.5K to spend on a system what would you buy? Criteria;

1) Must be new

2) For music only not cinema

3) To cover amp set up/cd player/speakers/all interconnects,cables and stands

Just curious...

Reuben.F

Banned
My system :rotfl: although.. its not new and i went over budget ;)

phil t

Purely fantasy because I've no idea how it would sound, and if I really was spending that amount off money I do LOADS of auditioning and consider many different manufactures.

Musical Fidelity A5 cdp, A5 pre/power, Sonus Faber Cremona floorstanders. Whatever was left from the budget I'd spend on cabling.

:)

Mr_Sukebe

That would be:
- SB+ (hot rodded squeezebox) - £1000
- Assuming the person already has a PC, lets add a couple of hard drives and RF router - £150
- Wavac MD-811 - £3000
Quite simply, one of the best amps I've ever heard
- Living Voice auditoriums £2000
- Power cables from Coherent systems - £500
- Interconnects and speakers cables from Zanash - £300

That would by thoughts. Having said that, I'd go s/h which would change the choice of speakers and amps and also cost a lot less.

skazz

I was reading a similar thread to this on some random Dutch audio forum yesterday: what would you do with 10,000 euros for source/amp/speakers. A large number of posters seemed to agree that you should spend 500 euros on a digital source ("because they all sound almost the same, and if you don't believe us ABX test yourself"), then 1500 on an integrated amp (this apparently being the right sort of price for decent quality, more money gaining one little apparently) and 8000 on a pair of speakers (since these are not solid state electronics and therefore far more quality increase for the cash).

Personally with £7.5k I'd spend weeks and weeks listening to all kinds of interesting kit, then just get horribly confused and end up trying to squeeze together the best combination of Classe+B&W that I could (which would probably end up being 804s with integrated amp and CD player from the delta range I guess)

nickhor

Novice Member
buy a turntable ...come to the darkside
A gyrodec,
or clearaudio solution , plus decent arm / cartridge /phono stage £ 3000

had a mm clearaudio cartridge for a while absolute bargain

B&W speakers 805s are excellent £ 1000 with stands
chord pre power cpm 2600 £ 1800 to £ 2000

£ 500 cables

if you must have digital. use computer save in lossless.. I use a imac £800

source all 2nd hand if possible

cwilson

keep what I have and buy more music

D

Doron Or

As the title says if you had £7.5K to spend on a system what would you buy? Criteria;

1) Must be new

2) For music only not cinema

3) To cover amp set up/cd player/speakers/all interconnects,cables and stands

Just curious...

I would get my existing kit with two exceptions:
1. Meridian G08 CDP instead of the 596.
2. Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento speakers instead of the Grand Piano Home.

Not sure though that the money would suffice for new.

Another very appealing, simple and very good sounding option:
1. Meridian G08 CDP:
http://www.meridian-audio.com/p_g08.htm
2. A pair of Meridian DSP 5200 speakers (digital active speakers):
http://www.meridian-audio.com/p_d5k2.htm

No need for amp as the DSP have internal amps, DACs, Processors, the whole nine yards.
No need for ultra fancy cables (the signal remains in the digital domain until it gets to the speakers).

I am almost positive this option is within the budget and I had the chance to listen to it - quite amazing (very clear, natural sounding and it sounds as good at low volume level as at high ones).

Cheers,

Doron

miceri

2 Bryston monoblocks, Hyperion 938 speakers.

Keep my Primare CD31, and get Transparent cabling all round.

Am I over-budget yet? If not, then I'm sure I could get a mini-bar fridge in the front room...

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom