1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fantastic Picture Quality on Pioneer PDP-434HDE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jackylad, Aug 8, 2004.

1. jackylad

jackylad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I saw the Pioneer PDP-434HDE yesterday; all set up perfectly via the HDMI connection at Fenwick’s Department Store in Newcastle, and the Picture Quality was outstanding! Much better than any of the other huge range they had (whether they weren't set up as well who knows!!). It’s the best picture I've ever seen on a plasma in my opinion.

Still I'm not buying one as iut doesn't have the DVI PC input i need! Bummer! :confused:

Anyway, just thought I'd post it in case anyone is thinking of getting one and Aren't bothered about the PC malarkey!

Mind you the stainless steel floor stand is a bit pricey, Phew!

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Can't you just use a DVI to HDMI cable?

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Jacky means you can't send native res via HDMI, shame.

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    He will have the same problem with the Philips 42PF9986 LCD that he also has his eye on then.

5. jackylad

jackylad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ianh64

As far as I'm aware, the Philips LCD has a DVI input. If I'm wrong please let me know as that'll send me back to square 1 !!!

Cheers!

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Jacky,

The presence of a DVI input is not enough. You need to make sure the resolutions and refresh rates you wish to send to the display are supported by the implimentation of the DVI interface on that display.

Gordon

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    jackylad - if you plan to run a HCPC you really should be considering plasma or LCD monitors rather than televisions. The monitors offer the better picture quality and will be more willing to accept a native resolution via DVI. If you loved the 434HDE then the 43MXE1 is definitely the plasma for you! (cheaper than HDE too)

8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Jacky

You may find the Philips manual useful. It is here

Basically, the Philips supports the following documented resolutions:

Basically, the native screen resolution of this panel (assuming its the same as the 32") is 1366x768, so since none of the above match that resolution, there will be a compromise somewhere in displaying an image, such as rescaling or the image not filling the whole screen. The no compromise solution, is to have a panel that allows native resolution (1366x768 in this case) to be input. The Pioneer 43MXE1 as previously mentioned has a screen resolution of 1024 x 768, which is less than the Philips, but accepting native panel resolution, it would not be subject to these compromises.

As for screens with HDMI, you can get DVI to HDMI leads.

Im in the same boat as you, but looking at smaller screens, 32"-37". Hopefully you will get a better choice at the larger size.

-Ian

9. jackylad

jackylad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice!

Do you all think that the new Philips 42PF9986 or the 37" version LCD will be producing the correct native display I need using a DVI lead?

1366 x 768 ????

Cheers

10. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I think you'll have even less luck with LCDs, not all LCD TVs even have a PC input to start with! The Sharp 37" monitor will accept 1366 x 768 @ 60Hz only, and only via analogue (DVI only supports video resolutions!). Can't find info on their TVs but the latest 32" panel is a beauty and might have added support for NR (not likely though).

It really looks like the Pioneer 43MXE1 is gonna be your best bet jacky, and ian for a smaller panel IIRC Panasonic will launch a 37" plasma again this New Years or you'll need to go 30" LCD e.g. NEC LCD3000

11. jackylad

jackylad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Liam!

I wish Philips would have told me that when I asked how well a Media Center PC would connect up through the dvi, instead of saying

"This model has a DVI connection so you can connect it to the PC. It will give you an excellent picture. This model will give you various resolutions which will be found at the back of the manual."

when talking about the new 42PF9986, that are due out again soon.

I'm actually getting bored of looking/researching now, it's been three months of digging around with £5500 burning a hole in my pocket, I can't even make my mind up on the Media Center PC I want either. To many manufacturers saying one thing (normally bulls***) and then people like yourself giving the real honest answer. I was even assured that the Pioneer PDP-434HDE would be the best possible Plasma for a Media Center PC by some "Expert" in my Local Department Store, only to find out that it wouldn't be that good afterall for PC connections.

Bored, bored bored....

:suicide: I think I'll just go to the cinema instead!

12. leamspaceman

leamspaceman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,832
    Starting to feel a bit like that too. Just get decided on a set then read something on here and it puts me right back to square one again. I'm spending many hours on here reading all this useful (well...most of it) info that all these people give willingly and for free. It really is fantastic to be able to access this wealth of knowledge. It can also do your head in too.

If I spent my money on the cinema instead then that would be 680 trips to the cinema. Maybe that isn't such a bad thing. Until I read the yet to be set up forum that endlessly debates the cinema with the best picture/sound quality.

Please...nooooooooo!!!!! :rolleyes:

13. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    jacky,

No need to spend that much! How about a Pioneer 50MXE1 (1280x768 res) for around £4600?

Steve

14. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    All Philips 9986 telly's do not seem to accept native resolution via DVI. The manual lists VGA, SVGA, XGA, 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i and 1152i only.

Sounds like you and leamspaceman both need to find a decent plasma retailer who can do all the boring bits for you!! There are also one or two forum sponsors who will build you a bespoke HCPC specific to your needs - the real experts, not just some spotty nonce in your local store!

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
  16. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hmm, where did you get the 1152i from?

Is it any cooincidence that 1152/1.5 (ie ratio of 1080/720) gives the panel vertical resolution of 768 and similarly 768*1.77... (ie ratio of 1280/720) gives the panels horizontal resolution of 1366 ?

17. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I do get a bit patchy here so someone in the know please feel free to jump in!!

1080i is the same as 1152i in terms of the amount of video information, only 1152i has extra padding outside of the information portion of the signal which translates to a higher horizontal scan frequency of 31.25 kHz (coincidentally twice PALs interlaced scan frequency) from 1080i's 28.3Khz. Why this is important/relevant I don't know but wonder if it has anything to do with the format of the original material (i.e. PAL or NTSC) and their different frequencies. Manufacturers can be so confusing it's probably not worth reading into (sometimes they will describe 480p as 525p and 576p as 625p which are the same resolutions but the number again includes blank information that doesn't relate to on-screen picture resolution). Time to head over to the video processing forum I think...

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes, there are some things it's wonderful to behold, but you just don't need to know how they work! God Knows, I don't, we have Gordon to tell us all that!

19. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I find the best way of making informed decisions is for me to understand the rationale behind something. Quite often, that requires understanding how something works. So I ask lots of questions and/or try and experiment with the item in question. Same applies to boats, cars, PC's, hifi and women :offtopic:

20. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    That's cool mate. Just don't ever consider women off topic :D