1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fantastic Four UK Release Date - Why so late?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by DaveH, Jul 2, 2005.

1. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Okay so it's not too late but 22nd July compared to US of 7 July and on average most of Europe is having it on 15 July.

I've never understood this. UK is an entertainment capital yet sometimes we get films later than the rest of Europe, not always but more frequent than I like.

The distribution of films indicates that US will get it first then probably Australia and then Europe (region distribution). So why on earth are we getting it later than Spain, Greece etc?

I don't understand it and frankly get annoyed at this.

Does anyone remember when we got Phantom Menace 3 months after America and most of Europe? The damn film was shot here so what happened?

In fact a lot of films are made here and end up coming here late.

I understand its the distribution companies decision but some of it defies logic.

Opinions please? (Yes I know FF4 does look a bit pants but still why the release date?).

2. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    One very good site is www.boxofficemojo.com where they have e.g. weekly reports on the film chart tops around the world, and you will notice that some movies that had premiere in the states doesn't open until 6months after in certain markets, and its mostly down to marketing and finding the right slot, when they think they can earn most money.

But the last years has definitely changed to the better in the sense that the date difference is becoming much smaller between USA and Europe when it comes to the big blockbusters, and even the same date/week premiere as USA, which was unthinkable 10 years ago. Another factor is to limit the damage of film piracy when you have big space between premieres of various markets.

I can't remember the films, but there has even been occassional times when UK had premiere before US, ok, not the big blockbusters, but nevertheless, unthinkable a decade ago.

I also think that films perhaps stay longer on the charts here as we are more of movie buffs than other parts of Europe, hence, its a decision making between the distribution companies and cinema chains, how long to keep them on the showings, which leads to decision where you have to decide when you have to cut a existing film that maybe still are doing well.

Its all about marketing and making money.

Wasabi

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I think that's right. We see less of a gap than we used to and that comes down to piracy. It's in the studios best interest to get their movies out to a global audience asap.