1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 Any Good And Any Problems?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Garrett, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,486
    I’m thinking of getting the Fantasia 2000 and the old one I have seen the old one but what’s the new one like and which is the best version and is the collection both in one set?

I have been reading there have been trouble with the Fantasia Collection with some players has anyone had trouble with this/these disc in particular the Pioneer 565.

2. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only have the region 1 boxed set and i can say its one of the best boxed sets i own, perfect picture coupled with a choice of either Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 mixes and the extras are superb.

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I found F2000 very disappointing - the best bit was Sorcerors apprentice from the first movie

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,486
    Are you taking the Mickey.:laugh:

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    ***This post contains spoilers***

Yeah, I have to say I was a little dissapointed with "Fantasia 2000". The gimmick of having a different celebrity presenter for each piece uses up a lot of time without much benefit (it's often rather jarring) and the film is simply too short. It's possible that this was done because it was intended to show in Imax cinemas - I vaguely recall hearing somewhere that this imposed restrictions on the length of the film. But it may equally well be a "dumbing down" issue.

To take just one example: the original "Fantasia" includes the whole of Beethoven's sixth symphony (the Greek mythology sequence). The later film contains just one movement of the fifth. Similarly, all of Elgar's "Pomp And Circumstance" marches are condensed down to a single medley only a few minutes long, and the "Carnival Of The Animals" section is just the finale and nothing else.

Still, it's certainly worth seeing. Highlights: "Rhapsody in blue" is very charming. And there's some glorious animation in Shostakovich Piano Concerto No. 2 (based on the Hans Christian Anderssen story of "The Steadfast Tin Soldier"), in Stravinki's "The Firebird", and in Ottorino Resphigi's "Pines of Rome" - flying whales (very trippy!).

The region one three-disk set is definitely the version to go for. (From, for example, here).

6. malcy

malcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think there were problems with the R2 like a number of Disney titles released at that time including Toy Story.
    Is something to do with the players not having enough internal memory to handle all the titles used (nearly 100) in the multiple European languages Disney encoded to save money on the R2.
    R1 was fine as they only used English.

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,486
    Yes I was thinking of going for the Region 1 version, because of the speed up on sound on Region 2 disc and this being a music DVD as much as anything.
    Any body know the cheapest where I’m not likely to be stung with import duty.

8. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Well, that's not a very good reason :p but check out DVD Compare for a list of the differences:

Fantasia R1 vs R2
    Fantasia 2000 R1 vs R2
    (The third disk in the "Anthology" is the same for both regions).

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,486
    Of course it is, the pitch would be out.

10. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I saw Fantasia 2000 on IMAX and it was OK.

Nothing special really.