Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 2 Movie Collection Blu-ray Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Chris McEneany, 30th November 2010.
Disney present two magnificent and unusual entries on a lavish Blu-ray platter that does full justice to the audio/visual splendour that their creators intended. Both Fantasia programmes are suffused with all the magic of the House of Mouse and a more scintillating introduction to worlds of classical music and of animation you could not hope to find. The original film was a gamble for Uncle Walt that took decades before it finally paid off. Now, it is quite hailed as a masterpiece. The imagery is incredible and mixes the slapstick with the satanic, and the cute with the chaotic. It is a riot for the senses that begs to be savoured on the biggest screen you can find and with the sound fully cranked up. The sequel is not quite up to the same high standards, but it creates a beautifully satisfying accompaniment, or second movement, if you will, to the sublime ideology that Walt Disney and Leopold Stokowski envisaged in their strange and eclectic collaboration.

This four-disc Special Edition is almost everything a fan could ever want. The AV quality, as expected, is fantastic, and the extras go the extra mile … or rather, they would if they were all here in the package. Disney's decision to include a host of supplemental material only via a BD-Live portal is something that may cause consternation for those who are not internet-savvy, or for those who just prefer the good old fashioned way of accessing things. But, having said that, there are some tremendous features here, just the same. Great commentaries, a fabulous feature-length documentary and the inclusion of the Dali/Disney offshoot, Destino, certainly make this a package that is mouth-wateringly tempting.

Fantasia is something special … and it belongs in every BD collection.

Read the full review...

Krank

Distinguished Member
Is this region free?

Nelviticus

Is this region free?

No mate, Region A only according to the panel on the left and Axel Music's page.

Excellent review Chris. I love this film - the second half is my favourite of any Disney film and I agree, the demon on his mountain is the best sequence. I'm pretty sure I saw this in the cinema when I was very little and I was wowed by it then, even though I was only just old enough to understand it.

Never seen Fantasia 2000 although I had heard it was a pile of pants; from what you say it sounds like there are some bits worth watching however. I wouldn't buy it on its own but if it comes as part of a set then why not.

Pity it's region A only, but I'm sure a region B version will come out soon.

*Edit: it looks like you can also get it on region B on play.com, not sure if there are any differences between that and the reviewed version though. There's quite a funny comment from someone expressing disappointment that it's only in 4:3, although they do give it 5 stars.

Last edited:

Krank

Distinguished Member
Thanks. Unfortunately I don't think the UK will have this 4 disc set. I'll have to encourage my mate to give me his region A player :D

Last edited:

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Axel ARE now claiming it's Region Free. Presumably meaning, they hadn't previously, but have now, actually tested it.

Krank

Distinguished Member
Axel ARE now claiming it's Region Free. Presumably meaning, they hadn't previously, but have now, actually tested it.

I was just about to post this. Got an e-mail from Axel today confirming it's region free. :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom