• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Fans

AntzDj

Standard Member
Not sure where exactly to post this, but I have 3 Arctic Cooling F9 fans in my av cab. 2 at the bottom blowing in, and one at the top sucking out.
I'm powering em off an old charger for something i found in my wire box in the garage, its 12v and amp rated more than the 0.45A these fans draw together.

I have wired them in parallel I think (all the Red wires to the power supply + output, and all the black wires to the black). Only every time I add one of the fans, they get slower, i thought this was only supposed to happen if wired in series?

If it is the power supply, what do i need to buy to make all fans run at full speed? I've no idea how to work this out, but each fan is 12v 0.15 A. :lease:

paulktreg

Established Member
It sounds like the power supply you have is unregulated and everytime you add a fan the voltage drops and the fans run slower. If this is the case then you could buy a cheap 12V 1A regulated power supply like this one from CPC but be warned you may be dissapointed. If you have an unregulated 12V power supply it is very likely the no load voltage is higher than 12V, 15V say, and a load of 0.45A may bring it nearer to 12V. What you perceive as the fans slowing down may very well be from an overdriven state at 15V with one fan to normal speeds at 12V with three?

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom