Fans Boycott Left 4 Dead 2

luKasledge

Prominent Member
Reaction score
IGN: Fans Boycott Left 4 Dead 2

UK, June 8, 2009 - Fans of 2008 first-person smash Left 4 Dead have reacted strongly to last week's news of a sequel, calling for a boycott to the new game in response to Valve's perceived lack of commitment to the original game.

At the time of writing some 15,000 fans have registered their disdain on a Steam Community Group, (thanks, videogaming24/7) asking that 'Left 4 Dead 2 not be released as a stand-alone, full-priced sequel but as either a free update to Left 4 Dead or an expansion with full compatibility with basic Left 4 Dead owners.'

The news of a sequel for Left 4 Dead goes against Valve's typical practice, wherein titles are often in gestation for long periods and given extensive post-release support.

Valve's VP of Marketing Doug Lombardi reacted to the news in an interview late last week, telling RockPaperShotgun, 'There's more content coming for Left 4 Dead in the fairly near term, that I think will sort of add to this picture and hopefully change some people's opinions of what's happening right now.'

Left 4 Dead was one of 2008's highlights, earning a 9.2 when reviewed back in November. The sequel relocates the action to the Deep South, as well as adding frying pans and chainsaws into the mix - which all sounds like an awful lot of fun.

I kind of agree with them, I won't be paying full price for Left 4 Dead 2 and I never even owned the original but I played it inside and out when borrowed of a friend.

I'm always worried when developers manage to get a game released in such a short space of time.

I think this is a non issue here.

Plenty of games get a yearly release, FIFA, Tiger Woods, Call of Duty etc.

15,000 is quite a low number compared to the millions who play L4D.

How a gamer can demand a game isnt relesaed is riduculars IMHO.

Buy the new release if you want to and dont if you don't

Pathetic really.

I have L4D, but hardly play it, in fact thinking of selling it on, i'll check out L4D2 on its release, as i';m sure this petition wont change anything.

I think this is a non issue here.

Plenty of games get a yearly release, FIFA, Tiger Woods, Call of Duty etc.

15,000 is quite a low number compared to the millions who play L4D.

How a gamer can demand a game isnt relesaed is riduculars IMHO.

Buy the new release if you want to and dont if you don't

Pathetic really.

I have L4D, but hardly play it, in fact thinking of selling it on, i'll check out L4D2 on its release, as i';m sure this petition wont change anything.

Very little changes between each sport game each year though and the last Modern Warfare came out nearly 2 years ago, Call Of Duty have 2 different developers thats why they have one each year.

Those 15,000 are seriously total losers!

L4D is a great game, L4D2 is going to be even better, i personally can't wait and what's £30 (PC Version) for the amount for fun your going to get out of it. If it's a problem save up till then or stop playing so many games and go get a job!! :lesson:

I bet a million billion trillion quid they all buy it on the first day of release ! Dweebs !

lol...I think you're right there. If you know the model Valve usually follow and care enough to sign a petition (even when the majority of commercial publishers follow this practice) then you're not going to hold back from buying a game from one of your fav developers now are you.

Me...cool. Loads of second hand copies of game 1 to buy on the cheap :smashin:

It strikes me that L4D2 is going to be much more tongue in cheek/black humour compared to the "B movie" roots of L4D1. Give the Devs some license. They brought an amzing game to the Xbox (an exclusive I might add) and now are kicking it up a notch. PS3 gamers haven't even got the bloody game yet 15,000 peeps (who probably live in mom and dads basement) are rubbing it in their faces saying they are boycoting it :rotfl:

I am going to stick my neck out and go against the grain (even if its just a little bit)
I liked LFD but I have to admit that it is one of my least played games. When I played with my friends then it was great but if I played with randoms then the experience was less enjoyable.

However even when playing with friends I cant help thinking that there was not a huge amount of content there, so I do understand where some of the complaints are coming from...

Games like Halo 3, COD series seem to have much more re-playable value.
I admit I haven’t played as the infected though so my only experience is the 4 player co-op.
Whilst the AI zombies are good and the AI director makes things definitely unique you tend to get surrounded by hordes of them and you have to shoot blindly around to clear the way.
Games such as Halo and COD allow for more tactics. Admittedly zombies are not renown for their tactics and I guess will/would just blindly run at you?! :D But it would have been nice to be able to build barriers/doors like in Nazi zombies in COD etc. The numbers of playable maps was a bit poor which I think is generally accepted as the one areas of weakness in the reviews at the time.
The COD Series is developed by two companies but we had COD 5 out what 7-8 months ago. The thought of another one in 4-5 months (albeit in a different time period) does get a bit frustrating. Bungie seem to have the right balance, a major title every 2 years and supply that title with map packs throughout the 2 years.

Anyway I will keep an eye on LFD2 but I won't be paying top whack, LFD for held its retail price for a long time which I assume was due to its popularity.

Just my two pennies worth...

It strikes me that L4D2 is going to be much more tongue in cheek/black humour compared to the "B movie" roots of L4D1. Give the Devs some license. They brought an amzing game to the Xbox (an exclusive I might add) and now are kicking it up a notch. PS3 gamers haven't even got the bloody game yet 15,000 peeps (who probably live in mom and dads basement) are rubbing it in their faces saying they are boycoting it :rotfl:

Well that article was posted on the PC section of IGN so 15,000 of them certainly weren't all 360 owners.

Sounds like we need to order 15,000 copies of this;

127265-albums382-picture1984.jpg

I am going to stick my neck out and go against the grain (even if its just a little bit)
I liked LFD but I have to admit that it is one of my least played games. When I played with my friends then it was great but if I played with randoms then the experience was less enjoyable.

However even when playing with friends I cant help thinking that there was not a huge amount of content there, so I do understand where some of the complaints are coming from...
I would agree with that.
I finished the 4 levels on SP last night and thought "is that it?".
There wasn't even a real story or feel of a story to it.
It was just 4 random levels and no real ending at the end of the last one.

I haven't played online yet but I can imagine it's not great with randoms as it really needs teamwork to play this game well.

--

I find the game is great playing with randoms. Someone posted on here a while ago joining with randoms is in the spirit of zombie films were the main charaters are usually strangers that have to stick together to survive, which I agree with.

This game played versus is one of the most tactical games I have played on the Xbox 360. Teamworking amongst the infected is even more critical than team working amongst the survivors. Planning an ambush, discussing the primary target and then following the plan through is incredibly satisfying and the long respawns of the infected only help this process. If you haven't played an 8 vs player game with a good party you MUST!

Considering Team Fortress 2, there has been a ridiculous amount of content applied from Valve post release... but only for PC. It seems MS are quite strict in what can be offered via title updates and dlc, we all know Valve struggled to get the original L4D content out for free! I suspect this is why Valve have taken the decision that a physical release is the easiest way to get this in the hands of the (console) masses.

Worth remembering as well that there may be a substantial amount of Xbox players who really enjoyed some split-screen zombie killing but who have not got their hardware hooked up to the net, so would not be able to get hold of dlc.

I feel there is a generous amount of content here and its worthy of a physical release. I do hope that the original continues to be sorted, it really needs a 4 vs 4 matchmaking ability and proximity voice :)grin:). I'd really like to be able to choose between L4D1 levels and L4D2 levels with only the L4D2 disk in the drive. I'll happily be handing my pennies over come November.

This game played versus is one of the most tactical games I have played on the Xbox 360. Teamworking amongst the infected is even more critical than team working amongst the survivors. Planning an ambush, discussing the primary target and then following the plan through is incredibly satisfying and the long respawns of the infected only help this process. If you haven't played an 8 vs player game with a good party you MUST!

Aye agreed. At first I thought versus was a nice little added feature but actually I had more fun and played more versus than campaign.

Considering Team Fortress 2, there has been a ridiculous amount of content applied from Valve post release... but only for PC. It seems MS are quite strict in what can be offered via title updates and dlc, we all know Valve struggled to get the original L4D content out for free! I suspect this is why Valve have taken the decision that a physical release is the easiest way to get this in the hands of the (console) masses.

Worth remembering as well that there may be a substantial amount of Xbox players who really enjoyed some split-screen zombie killing but who have not got their hardware hooked up to the net, so would not be able to get hold of dlc.

I feel there is a generous amount of content here and its worthy of a physical release. I do hope that the original continues to be sorted, it really needs a 4 vs 4 matchmaking ability and proximity voice :)grin:). I'd really like to be able to choose between L4D1 levels and L4D2 levels with only the L4D2 disk in the drive. I'll happily be handing my pennies over come November.

They should release L4D2 on Xbox only :D see how the whiners like that. :devil:

Aye agreed. At first I thought versus was a nice little added feature but actually I had more fun and played more versus than campaign.

They should release L4D2 on Xbox only :D see how the whiners like that. :devil:

The trouble is the whiners have mixed in with the genuine dissapointed people.

They did promise DLC for L4D which would be new campaigns, weapons, special infected & a new character. But now this has all turned up as a new release game, so there is a genuine reason to be a bit miffed.

They could have easily charged for the DLC - I would have snapped it up in an instant - so that really shouldnt have been an issue.

All that said I think this boycott needs to be sorted, as it seems to be growing daily and that isnt so good for Valve, I dont think they have had this type of negativity before. Maybe they could offer the 4 levels and characters from L4D1 as a free download for use in no.2 ;) :D

But anyway, roll on november! I cant wait!

Hehe .. nice one centurion

Just a bunch of whining kids arent they...morons

Some of them are yes, but most of them are genuine and give genuine reasons as to why they are annoyed.

I missed this post yesterday. Totally agree. We used to have some monster AVF versus games on a friday night. Everyone constant cheering each other on and barking orders at each other......." AHH, Good hit mate good hit!!!""" :rotfl:
I never used to miss those nights, they were class. All the COD boys couldn't understand why I would all was disappear at 10 :devil:

Some of them are yes, but most of them are genuine and give genuine reasons as to why they are annoyed.

True , but they'll be the ones quietly making their points and moving on. Not the shouty " omfg valve iz teh devilzzz!1111!! " who are the ones i meant

True , but they'll be the ones quietly making their points and moving on. Not the shouty " omfg valve iz teh devilzzz!1111!! " who are the ones i meant

Oh god yes! You always get the cretins unfortunately which ruins the validity of the genuine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom