Fans Advice

stonking

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, My motherboard can control the speed of my case fans but my case fans are only 2 wire but I think you need 3 wire, am I correct? If I run 2 wire fans will I get loads of warnings because the motherboard cannot detect the rotation? My board is an Asus P5K Premium. Thanks Stephen.

You can diasble fan warnings in the bios and in windows if you use the correct software. If you don't though your probably get constant beeps from the motherboard.

Go into the BIOS and see if any fan speeds are reported. If so dont worry. If not then disable fan warnings in there.

2 pin connection is fine, I wouldn't worry at all, most aftermarket cpu cooler setups use a 2 pin connection.

As others have said go into the bios and disable cpu fan monitoring. :)

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try when I get brave and power it up for the first time. I am just looking for a Samsung 1TB or 640 gb drive and away we will go. I think the first time I will start up without the fans connected for say 10 minutes otherwise I will just panic with all those alarms going off.

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try when I get brave and power it up for the first time. I am just looking for a Samsung 1TB or 640 gb drive and away we will go. I think the first time I will start up without the fans connected for say 10 minutes otherwise I will just panic with all those alarms going off.

Dont start your pc without the fans spinning they are there for a reason. You could over heat your pc and cause damage to the cpu. Just ignore the warning about low fan speed and push (normally F1) to continue loading windows. Then download and install core temp to monitor temps. (I think the third pin is only for fan speed control, which isn't important if your using aftermarket cooling)

Once again thanks for the advice and concern. My Plan was to disconnect the case fans only, not the CPU fan. Once I get it all settled I might change the heatsink on the graphics card to a passive one. All wonderful plans, just need to be brave. I am nervous about ripping apart something I have just paid £100 for. (Hope the wife does not read this).

Once again thanks for the advice and concern. My Plan was to disconnect the case fans only, not the CPU fan. Once I get it all settled I might change the heatsink on the graphics card to a passive one. All wonderful plans, just need to be brave. I am nervous about ripping apart something I have just paid £100 for. (Hope the wife does not read this).

Ok if you remove the cooler from your graphics card it will void the warranty unless it is a EVGA card. Why do you want to do this? Most good cards have silent fans fitted any way and you cant hear them. You can set fan profiles with a program called ATI tool (works on nvidia cards and ATI cards). Also why are you going to stop all the case fans? If you are looking for silent fans you could swap them out (if this is the case let me know what fans you have on your pc case). You could buy a fan controller to individually control each fan speed. Or another easy option is to use speedfan a free program which allows you to control all the fans on your pc. :)

Why do you want to do this? Most good cards have silent fans fitted any way and you cant hear them

Never had ATI with the stock cooler? Like a hoover on load, and droans on idle. Replacing stock can be worth it, depending on the model usually quieter and cooler.

If OP is looking for a quieter system look at replacing CPU and GPU heatsink, ideally going passive or with low rpm 12cm fans. Reduce case fan speeds, or set to 7v or replace them.

Never had ATI with the stock cooler? Like a hoover on load, and droans on idle. Replacing stock can be worth it, depending on the model usually quieter and cooler.

If OP is looking for a quieter system look at replacing CPU and GPU heatsink, ideally going passive or with low rpm 12cm fans. Reduce case fan speeds, or set to 7v or replace them.

My X1900XT from HIS was silent (I know the stock coolers on these cards were noisy, like little hoovers), My BFG 8800GTX is silent. I have also fitted a few 8600GTs and they have also been silent. You must be buying cheap makes of graphics cards or they must of been old. ie 3+ years ago. The fans weren't silent then, my X800XT PE isn't silent and that's about 4 years old now. Most decent cards these days have silent coolers on them.

Wasn't your 8800GT silent?

My X1900XT from HIS was silent (I know the stock coolers on these cards were noisy, like little hoovers), My BFG 8800GTX is silent. I have also fitted a few 8600GTs and they have also been silent. You must be buying cheap makes of graphics cards or they must of been old. ie 3+ years ago. The fans weren't silent then, my X800XT PE isn't silent and that's about 4 years old now. Most decent cards these days have silent coolers on them.

ATI cards are still notorious for fan noise. The 2900 series is 'recent' and users are still replacing the stock with an Arctic 'quiet fan' or with a Zalman or Thermalright passive.

It is really a question of luck tbh. I have two versions of the same card, by the same manufacturer running in two PC's. One is silent, the other sounds like a leaf blower.

My 8800GT certainly wasn't quite. Fan ran at a constant 100% until I changed it with rivatuner. Apparently it was a bug with the cards.

My 8800GT certainly wasn't quite. Fan ran at a constant 100% until I changed it with rivatuner. Apparently it was a bug with the cards.

Really? Mine was running at 35% as a default out of the box.

A few 8800GT BIOS's are incorrectly set, it can be corrected with a nvidia re-flash util but it's risky. Or you could just replace stock with Accelero S1

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom