Fanny Lye Deliver'd 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the Review Cas.
Sounds interesting, but that's quite a price to pay for something that may or may not engage one's interest.

wwwebber

The score was terrible - really grated me. Quite surprised at the positive review, surprised it made it onto 4K media lol - I watch a lot of films but I do however respect others views.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
I really want to support boutique labels but the high price is putting me off.

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
I really want to support boutique labels but the high price is putting me off.
£35 for an individually numbered one of a 3,000 limited edition run is really not that high.
Donnie Darko is coming in at the same price and it's a similar price or less than Don't Look Now, Flash Gordon, John Carpenter etc limited editions.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
£35 for an individually numbered one of a 3,000 limited edition run is really not that high.
Donnie Darko is coming in at the same price and it's a similar price or less than Don't Look Now, Flash Gordon, John Carpenter etc limited editions.
But as I understood the Review, this is the sole release - all the others you can get as regular releases.

lgans316

Distinguished Member

2.5 weeks before, Amazon had 82 and now they have 63.

Pullbackcamera shop had 672 2 weeks ago and now they got 671.

I do get you but see, this ain't a popular film and its not selling well. Look at Dawn of the Dead boxset. It has plummeted in value (well below even the standard price) after the standard edition was released.

Completely understand the reasoning behind higher asking price as they want to get good returns on their investment and continue with 4K output on other films but ultimately pricing plays a major part with lesser known films released in smaller geographies.

I am keeping a tab on Blue Underground 4Ks. As of now they are exclusive to USA but if you look at the dubs/subs its clear the disc is intended for multiple regions. They are trying to get the maximum out of these prior to different distributors across the pond starting to release them at lower prices.

Last edited:

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
2.5 weeks before, Amazon had 82 and now they have 63.

Pullbackcamera shop had 672 2 weeks ago and now they got 671.

I do get you but see, this ain't a popular film and its not selling well. Look at Dawn of the Dead boxset. It has plummeted in value (well below even the standard price) after the standard edition was released.

Completely understand the reasoning behind higher asking price as they want to get good returns on their investment and continue with 4K output on other films but ultimately pricing plays a major part with lesser known films released in smaller geographies.
From the stock amounts the 3,000 copies limited edition run could appear to be over 2/3 sold already....
As far as I can see neither HMV or Zavvi are selling it (so no stock there to take into account)
Thus 671 + 63 = 734. Divided by 3000 = 75% sold :smashin:

But with amazon selling an HD streaming copy (theatrical) at £4.99 it does make it more a UHD purchase for collectors rather than the general public.

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
But as I understood the Review, this is the sole release - all the others you can get as regular releases.
In the end.
Donnie Darko is still in the limited edition only category so it will likely be a 3-6 months wait for the standard release. The same might also apply for this title....

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
From the stock amounts the 3,000 copies limited edition run could appear to be over 2/3 sold already....
As far as I can see neither HMV or Zavvi are selling it (so no stock there to take into account)
Thus 671 + 63 = 734. Divided by 3000 = 75% sold :smashin:

But with amazon selling an HD streaming copy (theatrical) at £4.99 it does make it more a UHD purchase for collectors rather than the general public.

I think that's a very optimistic marketing view, to ignore the fact that only about 20 copies have moved in the last 2.5 weeks and suggest instead that over two thousand copies of this shifted in the first week of release. All at the price tag of £35.

Zavvi would applaud you.

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
I think that's a very optimistic marketing view, to ignore the fact that only about 20 copies have moved in the last 2.5 weeks and suggest instead that over two thousand copies of this shifted in the first week of release. All at the price tag of £35.

Zavvi would applaud you.
Pre-orders.....;)

encaser

Distinguished Member
I think it'd need to be a drunk night cruising Amazon, to pay 35 quid for a 6/10 piece of Fanny.
Peake always feels a bit smarmy for my money but Charles Dance can always be banked in on.
Hmm, not sure if this is a little pig let me in worth getting my knife out for.
Your carefully positive review makes this sound a bit like an artisan audio enabled screensaver, Cas.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
artisan audio enabled screensaver
money.jpg

The_Wierd

Somehow I get the impression this might be a somewhat divisive film. There is a review on Amazon with the heading "Visual Vomit"!

Member 900632

Novice Member
Speaking for the label, I just wanted to fix some incorrect information above about our sales. In the past 2.5 weeks (unsure of the reason for this timeframe, but in any case!) we have sold 26 copies on Amazon, however the majority of sales have been through our own webstore, where the price is slightly cheaper for UK and non-European customers, and also through our US partner DiabolikDVD. We’re not yet about to sell out, if that’s what folks are concerned about, but sales are on target and we have no plans to reduce the price. We’d love to sell it for less if we could, but the set was really expensive to produce and we don’t feel the pricing is unusual for a boutique release with a limited pressing.

Regarding the film itself: we actually don’t think it’s particularly divisive! The film has 94% on Rotten Tomatoes and the overall customer rating on Amazon is 4/5.

The_Wierd

Regarding the film itself: we actually don’t think it’s particularly divisive! The film has 94% on Rotten Tomatoes and the overall customer rating on Amazon is 4/5.
OK, but that's 94% from professional critics, who are frequently out of tune with the general public. The audience rating is 56%, which I would say makes this a marmite film at best. Can only speak for myself and say I will give it a watch as it sounds like something I will like, but only as a rental. I would consider a regular priced Blu-ray, but I'm not curious to the tune of 30 quid. However, I agree the pricing is reasonable for a collector set.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom