1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fanless system and overheating

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mrchopper, Feb 16, 2003.

1. mrchopper

mrchopper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    they use very basic processors (less than 1/3 of the transistors of athlon xp's and p4), and also use a very low voltage. hence, they are also very slow. you wont have any problems with overheating - but i would suggest at least 1 case fan to be on the safe side.

one word of warning - if you are concidering watching div-x films with that processor i would seriously concider going a different route - they are not fast enough for that. i use to have a via c3 933mhz overclocked to 1.05ghz, and that wasnt fast enough. the c3 533 and c3 800 that those boards use will be nowhere near good enough for that.

in the end, i bit the bullet and brought myself a celeron 1.2ghz to replace my via c3 - and ive never looked back.

I would suggest getting a mini-atx board and a celeron instead - they shouldnt cost you much more than what you would pay for a via epia board

3. mrchopper

mrchopper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats good advie mate cheers, i wasnt buying because its cheap, im into the fact its tiny! any ideas where i can get a good mini atx mobo? i have a spare duron 800 would that be fast enough for divx?

4. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    yeah a duron 800 will do fine. bear in mind that mini-atx boards are slighty bigger than those via epia boards, but still not that big....

www.savastore.com seems to have a good selection of m-atx boards for your duron

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry about a fanless system - pump some water into your PC - it works wonders!

There's a very useful & informative thread about WCooling here .

:clap:

6. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    PC World magazine dida review on the VIA epia motherboards (and some SHuttles) in this months edition. It might be worth a look... This review considered the 900Mhz Via cpu as sufficient to paly DVD etc but the 500Mhz wasn't really up to the job.

Personally I'd get at least a Celeron 1.2Ghz which should bve fine for most basic operations.. plus almost silent coolers are available for these lower spec Celerons.

7. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    ive had the c3 933 and now have a 1.2ghz celly-t. yes the c3's can just about manage dvd but not divx. celly-t (tulatin celerons) are very good for their price. my 1.2ghz celly-t (overclock to 1.55ghz) performs very closly to what my athlonxp1800+ running on sdram did.

i benchmarked both systems with 3dmark2001se

both had 320mb of sd-ram, and a gf4 440mx.

the athlon xp1800 got 5230 points
    the celly-t @1.55ghz got 4870 points.

they are better than most people think.

btw, im using a volcano 7 heatsink on my celly which has 20cfm fan on top. almost totally silent, and my temps are 37c idle, 41c load, and thats with zero case fans. im very please with this processor - especially withs its price