1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fanless radeon 9000pro?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by vulkan75, May 15, 2003.

1. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok,anybody her replaced their fan with heatsink&heatpipe?

How much of a job is it,any trickies?

Whick one is compatible with my card(links please!)?:confused: :clap:

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yep...I replaced the HSF on my Hercules 9700 non-pro with the Zalman heatpipe.

It's very straigtforward and the instructions are pretty clear and easy to follow.

I did a dry run first without the heatsink goo jus to check everything.

It's been running fine for the last month or so...it does get hot to the touch but has been rock stable.

It does take up a lot of room though...you will not be able to use the PCI slot next to the AGP slot...allthough as they share an IRQ you should avoid that combo anyway.

I have attached a dodgy shot of mine in place.

[​IMG]

I got mine from here :

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/product.php?view=2815&PHPSESSID=a6afb27eb56e5795aacedcc0f29e932f

Cheers, Lee

3. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I know that it's slightly off-topic, but if anyone's thinking of buying a 9700 Pro and adding a Zalman heatpipe to that, then they might want to consider the Sapphire 9700 Pro Ultimate Edition, which comes with a factory fitted one.

It's £315 from overclockers.co.uk, which is £50 more than the standard Sapphire 9700 Pro. This is twice the cost of the heatpipe, but you get the peace of mind; the lack of hassle (which for some tinkerers may be a downside); and two games: Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Soldier of Fortune II.

I've got one and can't fault it - excellent performance and complete silence. I haven't heard if there's going to be a 9800 version, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Cheers,
    Ian.

4. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I removed the fan completely from my radeon 9000 non-pro, and it runs fine with just the stock heatsink. So I`m sure if you get a decent heatsink you could run a pro with no fan.

Chris

5. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey lee thats looks like a monster.Would that particular one fit the 9000?
    What kind of drop in overall noise would you say adding this thing would give me.

I have three noisey partys in my system.the above 900pro,a 27dec psu(which is not to bad in fact)and a 92mmcpu fan on a thermaltake slk800.Oh! sorry! i also have a factory fitted northbridge fan on the m/b too.

Anyway did you notice a arked improveent in noise levels after putting the zalan in?

6. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've got the same Zalaman Cooler on my 9500 and it made a massive difference to the overall noise from the HTPC. The noise from the tiny fan of the video card is massive.

Bit fiddly to fit but not particularly hard, a dry run as Lee suggested is a good idea.

Zalamn also do another passive heatsink which looks similar to a southbridge cooler, less money and will probably do the job fine with a 9000.

7. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ditto what John said really :smashin:

In my case I also have the new Zalman HSF on the processor and a Zalman quiet PSU along with two 80mm intake fans and two 60mm exhaust fans which all run at 5v.

I also lined the inside of the case with sound deading stuff.

The end result is that from a couple of feet away you can't tell if it's switched on or not :D

The loudest item now is the DVD rom drive so much so that if I want to watch a DVD I first copy it to the hard drive.

It might be worthwhile replacing the northbridge HSF with a passive heatsink like the one Zalman make also as any small fan tends to whine IMO.

Like Johnn said it would fit but might be overkill for your card...but then again you allways remove it and use it on your next card if you upgrade and if it fits.

Cheers, Lee

PS: I have no connection with Zalman...they just make good stuff :devil: