Fanless quality MCE2005 compatible graphics card??

• Thread starter Deleted member 39241
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 39241

I am really struggling finding a new card to improve the PQ from my HTPC to my Panasonic PW7 panel connected through DVI. Currently using a FX5200 in a Shuttle PC, but just bought my main PC into the lounge and the PQ is much better - it has a Radeon 9800 pro in it.

Problem I am having is a finding a card that is fanless and quiet, but considerably better than the FX5200. Not too concerned about gaming, just film/tv playback.... and silent operation!

Really like the look of the Geforce 6 series as it has 'Pure Video' NVIDIA PureVideo

But would also consider a Radeon card if it gave better results, but nothing below the 9800 is on the supported hardware list:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/partners/dfw/partnerlisting.mspx

The shuttle case restricts me to an AGP slot, no PCI-E, and I cannot fit an after market cooler because there is not enough room in the case, and would knock out my PCI slot which I need for a TV card.

Any ideas....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, thanks for replying so quick,
You know what, I did spot that but thought that the cooler was on the back and front of the card, but looking at it again, it seems ok after all :suicide:

I'll do some more research and see if I can find the dimensions, the back of the card has to be completely flat or the tv tuner card won't fit in the adjacent PCI slot...

Thanks again

i'm interested in this card too but i hear different stories as to if its actually considerably better than the ati 9600 fanless card i presently run......
like you say,research is the key.....
all the best
paul

Interesting, it does look like it will fit my case,
But the Radeon 9600 is a lot cheaper,
Do you use XPMCE 2005 with it, cos its hard to determine whether it is actually compatible...
Might try and order one from a vendor with a good returns policy,
Thanks for the tip

yep,running xpmce2005 with it.
very happy too....
was just considering the 6600 card for dvd playback with theatertek to be honest as the card is supposedly the one to have for theatertek.
but like i say,there seems to be varied opinions on this.
i might just stay with the card i have for now until the 6600 gets a bit cheaper at least.
i actually run my radeon 9600 on a dual monitor set-up as well (tft monitor and projector) with different resolutions/refresh rates and it works really well for me...
hope i've been of some help.
paul

Wow - that looks top quality!
Yes, please let us know what the results are like,
Will you be using the DVI? What display device?

Are any of you using component out on any of these cards?

I would like to switch my HTPC through my Denon 2805.

The ATI Component dongle is supposed to work on the 96xx and 98xx cards - but I would like confirmation as some manufacturers disable this feature.

With the 6600GT a friend has the PCI-e version and that comes with a component breakout lead. I need the AGP version and I can't tell from the documentation weather it is bundled with this? Anyone know?

Thanks

Barry

That is super sleuthing, I have been searching for prices also and missed this... no-one seems to have them in stock though, Quiet PC are showing them due in tommorrow but want £157! :eek:

I think I have decided I want one, might switch from PowerDVD6 to the latest Nvidia decoder to get the best out of the Pure Video technology...

Wonder if the PQ will be any better after that, probably not :suicide:

your not using theatertek then????
i was hoping a guinea pig could let me know if i would see a big difference in using this card before i go purchase one.....
decisions decisions
:D

No, I had problems with Theatertek - does it include the latest Nvidia DVD codec...? I also watch a lot of Divx/Xvid films and have been playing with codecs, probably need to do a clean install to fix it all properly.

So, are you going to buy the card first then.... let me know if it's worth the spends???? :cool:

yes,to my knowledge the latest version of theatertek comes with the latest nvidia codecs and apparently the nvidia cards get the best out of theatertek but like i say i have read that it's questionable.....
hence the reason i'm waiting....
i'll let you know my opinion if/when i upgrade but at the moment my pj has to be returned for repair so there's really no point upgrading until i get that back...
paul

Ah, shame..
Well if I get there first I will post my results here

Did the Gefore 6600 work in the Shuttle XPC? I would like to know since I need to get DVI output for my Shuttle XPC.

How are the temps of the CPU and case with the 6600? I tried a Radeon 9700 Pro but the CPU temp went from 38C to 54C so I had to remove it.

Thanks in advance
Grant

Taylorg said:
Did the Gefore 6600 work in the Shuttle XPC? I would like to know since I need to get DVI output for my Shuttle XPC.

How are the temps of the CPU and case with the 6600? I tried a Radeon 9700 Pro but the CPU temp went from 38C to 54C so I had to remove it.

Thanks in advance
Grant
Hi, where did you dig this thread up from?
Yes, I now have the Gigabyte fanless 6600GT AGP card in the shuttle, it does knock out use of the PCI slot so I went for a USB2 DVB-T card. I do not monitor the temperatures directly, but have settings in the bios and graphics card drivers to warn me if dangerously high, and they never have. Also I find the pq significantly improved with this card and the latest version of nvidia purevideo decoder.

interesting thread,

lisa i have a sff compaq with only a 1/3 height agp slot in it i am about to get a PWD8 plasma and really want the best pq possible. my current card is the gt5600 with dvi and svid and vga,

are you using the dedicated dvi board on your panny or dvi to vga.

or should i try to find a 1/3 height 6600 board, which i think would be a needle in a haystack.

Jon

Jon,
A number of manufacturers have produced low-profile 6600 cards but all of them have been PCI-E interface.

Best you'll find on an AGP slot is an ATI 9600 or nVidia 6200

Taylorg said:
That temperature is well within the normal operating range for AMD or Intel & thus nothing to worry about. Of more concern would be the temperature within the case rising too high & causing problems for other components.

JonLeach said:
interesting thread,

i have a sff compaq with only a 1/3 height agp slot in it i am about to get a PWD8 plasma and really want the best pq possible. my current card is the gt5600 with dvi and svid and vga,

are you using the dedicated dvi board on your panny or dvi to vga.

or should i try to find a 1/3 height 6600 board, which i think would be a needle in a haystack.

Jon
Hi Jon,
I am using a dedicated DVI board in my PW7, but to be honest when I switched from VGA I did not notice a massive difference, although that was before I got this 6600GT card. Also on VGA I could run 1280 x 720, but cannot on DVI so dropped to 1024 x 576... it may be different on the PWD8 though.

deleted member said:
Hi Jon,
I am using a dedicated DVI board in my PW7, but to be honest when I switched from VGA I did not notice a massive difference, although that was before I got this 6600GT card. Also on VGA I could run 1280 x 720, but cannot on DVI so dropped to 1024 x 576... it may be different on the PWD8 though.

lisa

Lisa,

Presumably, the resolution limitation was due to a lack of support from the PW7 rather than a lack of ability by the 6600GT? Plasmas do tend to be 'picky' when it comes to supported digital video feeds especially at 50Hz.

Given the choice, I would have stuck with VGA at native resolution rather than DVI at a compromised ratio (assuming 1280x720 was native?)

Jon,

You mention that you want the "best possible picture" from your low-profile card? In all honesty, unless you want to play games, a 6200 will produce a wonderful picture for general HTPC duties.

Hi, yes it is the limitation of the plasma - what it does and doesn't accept via its DVI board... but its only a SD one though (852 x 480) so was away from native in either case.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom