1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fanless Graphics card for HDTV - suggestions

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Oscarp, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Oscarp

Oscarp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everyone,

I've currently got a HTPC with a fanless ATI Radeon 9000 in it (Northwood 2.4 Ghz CPU, 1GB ram, Nebula TV card, powerstrip) and in a second (games/ test setup) machine with a very noisey ATI 9600 Pro.

I want to replace both of these (the 9600 Pro first) with a FANLESS card which will be able to support HDTV (720 / 1080) clips..

Was looking at the Radeon 9600 / 9700 / 9800 series. Budget is around £120.
    Fanless cards seem a bit thin on the ground !

Any suggestions?
    Cheers,
    OscarP

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    A few of us on here use the Gigabyte fanless 6600GT - very good card, AGP is around £150, PCI express is a little bit cheaper. With Nvidia codec and purevideo it does hardware encoding and post processing and plays back 1080i on my PC with an Athlon XP2700 and 1gb RAM.

3. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    what is the 'plain' 6600 card like for htpc,I see this is a lot cheaper than the gt version?

Phil

4. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Does memory affect HD playback?

I have a Radeon 9700 Pro and was wondering if I would get even smoother 1080 playback with a RAM upgrade which is cheaper and easier than a CPU upgrade. I have P4 2.6GHz with 512mb RAM.

5. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it depends on how much room and how much cooling you already in your case.

Radeon 9600 can be had in passive versions (£60 ish)and tend to have a nice small heatsink. So if you don't want too much case cooling or if you don't have too much room then that's the card to go for.
    Radeon 9600XT Ultimate can also be had in passive version (£110-120 approx) but this has a huge heatsink either side of the card connected by heatpipes - this could be a squeeze in smaller cases (and won't fit at all in cases like the silverstone LC11) You'll also probably have to up your case cooling as these will generate quite a bit of heat.
    Same goes for the 6600GT which is a great card if you have the budget space and adequate cooling.