1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fanless CPU coolers and inline resistors

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Pbryanw, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    First of all I've just bought a HIS/Hightech graphic cards with the arctic silencers. This means that the noisiest component in my PC is now my Zalman 7000AlCu CPU Cooler. To reduce the noise I use a Zalman fanmate connected to it. Because the CPU temp seems quite low I have thought about buying an in-line resistor and using it in conjunction with the Zalman Fanmate to further reduce the noise. Does this seem like a good idea???

The problem I have is that I cannot find an stockist of in-line resistors. Does anybody know somewhere that sells them online?

Failing that I have thought about buying a fanless CPU cooler such as the Thermalright XP-120 or the Scythe Ninja fanless CPU cooler and maybe using it with a 120mm fan instead of my Zalman (this is with a P4 3.06GHZ processor). Does anybody have experience of these coolers? Would they be significantly quieter then my Zalman?

If you can answer any of my many questions I'd be very grateful :thumbsup:

Thanks, Val

2. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be careful, even if you go for the fanless cooler you will still need to have some airflow around the case to make sure that the heat doesn't get stuck inside the PC.

Zalman also do a version of the 7000 with a 120mm fan as well which might help.

3. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  4. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Inline resistor with a fanmate make very little difference to a CNPS7000 in terms of noise. Overclokers supply us with ours - but we only use them on their own, not with anything like a fanmate.

Now for the XP120 - if your case is big enough I know of nothing better (although I haven't tried Zalmans new 9000 range yet) if matched with a good fan (we use 120mm Panaflo).

What else do you have in your case ? (and what case is it?)

5. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,542
    Also picked one up in Maplins for a couple of quid.

7. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    First of all, thanks for the resistor links.

So far in my case, the things that make noise are:

- The HIS/Hightech graphics card with IceQ II fan fitted
    - SilenX PSU
    - Zalman 7000AlCu

The computer is a Nethighstreet model bought 2 years ago. The case is shown in the pic attachment with this post (not my PC though).

I've disabled the CPU fan using speedfan and there is a noticeable noise reduction leaving the graphics card as the next noisiest thing in my case. If the Thermalright fits would it provide a reduction in noise over the Zalman??? My motherboard, btw, is an MSI MS-6728. All the other gubbins I have in my case can be seen in my profile.

Thanks, Val

EDIT: I looked at the Thermalright compatibility list for the XP-120 and my motherboard is compatible with this monster(!). Looked in my case - I think my case is too small for it though :(

Attached Files:

8. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    A while back I replaced my cheap ebuyer 80mm fan with an unused Zalman 92mm fan (from a flower cooler) and it made *more* noise than the cheap fan for similar cooling performance at all speeds I tried. Might be worth trying to find a quieter fan before anything more drastic, not so easy for a 7000 but holding it onto the heatsink will be good enough for a quick test.

Eventually I ended up with a cheap 12cm case fan bolted onto the heatsink through a 12->8cm adaptor, so quiet I couldn't tell the difference with or without a speed reducer so I left it running full speed.

The other thing to remember is running some fans slower can make them subjectively (if not actually) noisier. Speed reduction doesn't always help.