1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fan noise

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by monkeyboy69, Aug 25, 2003.

1. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    just a quickie I hope, while looking to jump in and get one of these possibly the HS10 I was wondering about noise levels from the projector. While these won't be heard in action movies, there are times when the wife binds and gags me and forces me to watch sloppy romantic stuff with no surround effects. i.e. its really quiet
    Some projectors have been quoted as around the 30db level but in real terms how loud is this and is it an annoying level during quiet movies. Basically will it drown out her blubbering during the sad bits :smashin:
    If so could anyone point me in the direction of a projector with the quality of a hs10 but ultra quiet

thanks

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    30dB is at the lower end of the fan noise spectrum. Any pj that is truly 30dB will almost certainly not annoy you even in the quiet bits of the movie.

AFAIK the only LCD pjs which come in at or below 30dB are

AE200/300
    Z1 (low brightness mode)
    Yamaha LPX500 (borderline I reckon having owned one)

I would say try and get a home demo of the HS10 to judge for yourself and if that is no good then seriously consider the LPX500. A cracker of a pj and very quiet. Other than HS10/LPX you'll be dropping resolution (and quality) to go for another quiet one as listed above.

However, above all these I would seriously consider - no, I would highly recommend - you get the NEC HT1000 or wait for the new HT1100. The current HT1000 knocks the socks off ALL the current LCD crop in important areas such as picture quality and black levels and is very very quiet. If you do not intend getting an HT1000 then do not demo one as once you do everything else (in similar price range) will just disappoint you.

HTH