1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fan Noise pj-tx100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dunners1, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Dunners1

Dunners1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just took delivery of this projector firstly can i say after convincing the wife we need a replacement for my trusty Panny 100...that it is simply gobsmacking!!! started a demo on Return of the King only to watch the whole movie again!!........anyway my point while well quieter than the panny sitting next to the projector next to the air in take(projector on right) i was suprised how noisy it is..ok it's pretty good but still noticable.. i have a glass cabinet next to us that housed the panny due to fan noise so i have placed it in there................i have a mate who has just bought the panny 300 and even with my ear towards it could barely hear it.?????? i think that Hitachi have overestimated the 25DB claims!!! :confused: :thumbsup:

any one else hear this??

2. danjos

danjos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ive had my tx100 for a few weeks now and i agree with you that it is far from silent. any claims that 25db is silent are pretty ridiculous.
    I dont really notice it once i get absorbed into a film, but if the tx100 is considered quiet then other 'louder' models must be pretty bad.

3. Dunners1

Dunners1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i totaly agree and you have put my mind at rest....as you say it doesn't distract you like my old panny fan heater did but your right what noise are the others emmitting???

its the point that Hitachi say its 25db thats annoying because it gives a false impression that it is virtually silent......as 25db is quoted on noise charts as actually someone whisering.....this is louder than that

please to any one considering this kit.......buy it it is superb and totaly quiet but not as they describe it!!

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The AE100 was originally rated at 29db in eco mode, IIRC, so would expect the Hitachi to be quieter, but perhaps not dramatically so......

Curious for more information in comparison to the AE100............. Have you noticed any vertical banding or other artifacts compared to the AE100 ? how would you rate the difference between them (no "Wow" factor stuff needed :D , I take it as read that you're happy with it from your post above..) more like how you would compare the blacks, or general colour performance etc. Info as to what your running through it, environment, screen etc would also help.

thanks,

Sean G.

5. Dunners1

Dunners1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sean i project onto bare wall picture quality will blow you away compared to Panny 100 the first thing is no need to de-focus to lose those pixels the image is incredibly sharp you watch the fishtank scenes in Nemo against The Panny and then get someone to help you pick up your jaw...you will get blacks deep and very strong colours.......fantastic brightness etc........don't hang around if you can upgrade do it.

My wife said the money would only be worth it if we could see a picture difference she is now complaining why did you not do this earlier!!!!

6. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Dunners - How far from the screen do you sit?

Also what size is the screen area (diagonal and width)?

Thanks.

7. Dunners1

Dunners1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sean i sit approx 8-9ft back and project approx 7ft diag image no problem

8. equaliser

equaliser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm thinking of getting this PJ. how far do you have it from the screen to get 7ft pic. Do you use the lens shift? I will need to use the horizontal shift close to max is there a drop off in image quality/brightness????

cheers

EQ

9. Dunners1

Dunners1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    the projector sits just behind me at about 10 ft the image is approx 7ft ,this is with a slight use of horizontal/vertical shift.........because projector is low down in a glass fronted cabinet (no loss of Image) i have about 22 on keystone correction...image is superb ,as i have said in previous threads after the panny100 this upgrade at last has let me watch films without the deaded fiddling during movies i am immersed,i am sure there is utopia out there but watching movies without the worry of pq all the time is damm close.. :laugh:

10. Carduus

Carduus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys

I've had a TX100 for about three weeks now and I think it is absolutely superb. :smashin: I haven't tinkered at all with the settings yet - it was straight out of the box and onto its perch. Put it this way ... I haven't taken the simultaneously-purchased Avia disc out of its cellophane wrapper yet - there hardly seems to be any point. :laugh:

If it helps, here's my set-up:

Screen: Beamax R-Series 16.9 manual screen
    Size: 267w x 150h x 305d (so about 9ft wide 5ft high 10ft diagonal)
    PJ: Wall mounted about 2.5m (8ft) high and 4.8m (16ft) lens to screen
    Horizontal Shift: lens/screen centre-lines offset by 0.6m (2ft) (~22% screen width)
    Main viewing position: 4.5m (15ft) so about 1.6:1 view:width ratio.

I have absolutely no complaints ...
    * Bright enough for the big screen (even without total black-out of ambient)
    * No visible chicken wire at 1.6 view ratio, some VB but only if I'm looking for it. :zonked:
    * I haven't noticed any PQ degradation via the lens shift - brilliant feature!
    * Oh, and I can't hear the PJ fan at all from viewing position - maybe I'm going deaf.

Draw the curtains, turn the sound up, and wow ...
    * Battle scenes in LOTR :eek:
    * Opening scenes in Gladiator :smashin:
    * Finding Nemo - I wanted to go for a swim in the screen!
    * Cockpit view from the British GP - felt sick (those guys really are mad :suicide: )

Go on - get one! If you're subsequently disappointed, you must be one fussy :censored:.

11. PIG JOE

PIG JOE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TX100 is amazing! This is my first projector after viewing a Tosh 32" tv and considering a 42" plasma. I am so glad i went for the projector option!
    I too have used it straight from the box with factory settings and a few minor tweaks, the picture quality is stunning and is far better than i thought possible at this price. I am using it with the 'cinema' picture option and the black level set to 'natural' (whisper mode). The fan noise is quiet, I can see no screen door or vertical banding at all.
    The only point that surprises me, unless I'm doing something wrong on the set up, is that i get a better picture if I set the DVD player to 'interlace' and the projector to 'progressive film' mode. Using the DVD players prog mode seems to give a slightly shakey picture??
    TV pics from NTL box via an S Video lead are also very good.

Big thanks to Liam at Progressive AV for his help, advise and support.