Fan noise on Toshiba and Pioneer DVD/HDD Recorders

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by laser, Aug 1, 2004.

1. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi

I've narrowed my purchase for a new DVD recorder to a Pioneer DVR-420S or the Toshiba RD-XS32 mainly due to current pricing being around £400 for the players. However I've read a posting stating the fan noise on the 420S is pretty bad and wondered if this was indicitive of most DVD/HDD players or specific to the Pioneer range or the 420S.

The review of the DVR-520S and the RD-XS32 in this months HCCO magazine made no mention of fan noise which makes me wonder in the DVR-420S uses a cheaper fan than the other models in the range.

Doe the Toshiba RD-XS32 have a fan?

I've considered the 520S but it's a bit too expensive and I don't really need the i-link capability, hence the 420S fits my needs. Although at the £400 price range the Toshiba has it as a bonus, in my particular case.

Any comments on fan noise...

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Yes it does. Fan noise of that machine is discussed in the Toshiba RDXS32 Review Thread:
    http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137168

If noise is a real concern to you you may want to see Bluesfan's comments on the Pioneer 420 as well:
    http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140529

Have you consider the Panasonic E85 as well? Also in that rough price bracket (cheapest £420 on Pricerunner). Overall both the Panasonic and Toshiba are superior to the Pioneer in many respects.

The Toshiba is probably the best of the bunch: extensive DVD authoring options, iLink, progressive scan/component out and arguably the best DVD playback of any DVD recorder. Certainly most of the new buyers here have gone for the Toshiba...

The Panasonic has DVD-Audio support (2 channel) and can record upto 3hrs full resolution (as oppsoed to 2hrs 20mins for the Tosh/Pioneer).

3. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks for the thread links.

The Toshiba it is then :)

4. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    welcome to the club sir :clap:

got mine (still in transit) from RGBdirect for 409 (multiregion)

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    I don't think you'll be disappointed.

6. cyber_who

cyber_who

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Good choice on the Toshiba, it is a very good machine.
    As for noise, mine is in our bedroom and my wife has not yet complained about the noise and she is paranoid about noise at night.
    I can only hear it if I get right up close to it.

7. xyznicko

xyznicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its pot luck you can get some noisy ones, you certainly couldn't put my Toshiba in the bedroom.

To be honest I don't know where these guys are coming from that say the Toshiba is quiet, I've had several hard disk devices including the Toshiba(Tivo, Skyplus) and I have yet to get one that is anywhere near what you could call quiet.

8. Clovisguy

Clovisguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a Pioneer 420H-S and it is very quiet. I was aware of the noise problem complained about at this forum when I purchased it. They became available here in the U.S. last month. They include a component out here. I love it and it is easy to use.

9. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Xyznicko, its down to the individual. I work in an office full of PCs, I bet ive become deaf to PC fan noise, so my perception is that the Tosh is inaudiable.