Fan Noise an answer?? Ahhhhhhhh

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by thepostman, Oct 25, 2004.

1. thepostman

thepostman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: Hi
    recently purchased a Hitachi PJ-100 can't tell you how happy i am with the picture.but after owning the Panny 500 needed a quiet model!! demo'd a new Panny 200 absolutely quiet but went for the hitachi after claims of it's whisper mode. WELL if this is whisper i am shocked it positively humms!!!! and whines its not so much the loud volume of the fan but but almost the frequency which irratates it's not just mine but also a colleauges Hitachi TX 100 who bought one at the same time.
    Hitachi have clearly understated their specs on sound which they quote as almost silent!!..................any way leading on to this problem the same can be said of PC's which CPU's suffer from air cooling fan noise after much research i have found a site dealing with this and the products all promise a DRAMATIC reduction in Case cooling noise vertualy silent with all the air flow needed i think it would be an 80mm fan??........does any one know if it is possible to just change the case fan's in a PJ ???? as it seems the company in question Zalman has some great products??? look for Zalman Case cooling fans....

http://www.quietpc.com/

The Postman

2. leedavies

leedavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have considered the same for my Infocus 5700. Noise isn't too bad, but quieter always better.

Would be interested in suitable quiet/silent case fans.

3. danjos

danjos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i have the tx100 and i think the fan noise annoyingly noticeable too. Ive got a bag full of fans from various pc projects and when my PJ warranty runs out im going to look into modding the unit with bigger and/or quieter fans.

Like you say, it sounds more like a whining 'motor' noise which makes me think its either a cheap fan or its not housed very well, so it should be easy enough to replace without sacrifing airflow, in fact i would hope to increase airfow maybe :)

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The trouble with projectors is that in order to keep size down they use 40mm or 60mm fans in a lot of cases, which inevitable leads to noise other than just air movement. I have a pair of Silenx 60mm fans in my HTPC and even *they* make a buzzing sound at full speed and they're supposed to be some of the quietest fans around.

The one time I took the cover off my Z2 I had a good look at the fans and they seemed to be pretty conventional, though in the end I chose not to dabble.

It's noticeable that quieter projectors seem to use heatsinks as well as fans to dissipate heat, meaning the fans don't have to work as hard as those machines relying solely on air-flow to get rid of heat.