Fan issues on PS3

martimu

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently got a PS3 but returned it as the fan noise after about a hours play was unbelievable. I was listening through head phones and sat 5metres away when it first kicked in and it was loud enough to be more than a little distracting.

I've just got my replacement and have exactly the same issues. I'd done my research beforehand and understood that this wasn't really an issue with the 40gb versions.

Now, to be fair, my kit sits in a cupboard and there is a fair amount in it so it gets pretty warm. However this has never been a problem for my Xbox360 which has a reputation for being noisy.

So have just been unlucky and got 2 faulty units or is this something that is happening due to the heat in my cupboard and will happen with any PS3?

I ask before i go mad trying to get cabling etc out of the cupboard if it is not going to solve the problem!

Anyone who's had a similar problem or thoughts, your advice would be much appreciated! :lease:

Apologies if I don't respond quickly to any suggestions as I'm not going to be near a computer this weekend.

Thanks Martin

Hi All,

I recently got a PS3 but returned it as the fan noise after about a hours play was unbelievable. I was listening through head phones and sat 5metres away when it first kicked in and it was loud enough to be more than a little distracting.

I've just got my replacement and have exactly the same issues. I'd done my research beforehand and understood that this wasn't really an issue with the 40gb versions.

Now, to be fair, my kit sits in a cupboard and there is a fair amount in it so it gets pretty warm. However this has never been a problem for my Xbox360 which has a reputation for being noisy.

So have just been unlucky and got 2 faulty units or is this something that is happening due to the heat in my cupboard and will happen with any PS3?

I ask before i go mad trying to get cabling etc out of the cupboard if it is not going to solve the problem!

Anyone who's had a similar problem or thoughts, your advice would be much appreciated! :lease:

Apologies if I don't respond quickly to any suggestions as I'm not going to be near a computer this weekend.

Thanks Martin

Hi martimu. :)
Fan noise shouldn't be an issue with the 40Gb to be honest :confused: having the PS3 closed in a cupboard though,sounds a bad idea :( and is probably why the fan is so loud....................getting too hot!!
All the best.

Mine is completely silent, even when I watch a movie after a lengthy gaming session. In fact, the wife even turned it on by mistake when dusting one morning with a game disc in it, it was running a looped demo of whatever game was in there, I'd been home an hour, that evening, before I noticed it was even switched on and that was only because I noticed the light, not because I could hear it.

Fan noise shouldn't be an issue with the 40Gb to be honest :confused: having the PS3 closed in a cupboard though,sounds a bad idea :( and is probably why the fan is so loud....................getting too hot!!
All the best.

Whilst there are air holes I am inclined to think you are correct and I'm going to have to make changes I guess if its hot enough the thing is going to be loud, no matter how good the fan

I was just slightly surprised as none of the other kit seems to have a problem.

Major cable removals it is then. Just cross my fingers that it solves the problem! But all suggests that it is very unusual on one 40gb model and this is my second

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

Martin

Whilst there are air holes I am inclined to think you are correct and I'm going to have to make changes I guess if its hot enough the thing is going to be loud, no matter how good the fan

I was just slightly surprised as none of the other kit seems to have a problem.

Major cable removals it is then. Just cross my fingers that it solves the problem! But all suggests that it is very unusual on one 40gb model and this is my second

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

Martin

Post back and report how you got on :smashin: good luck.
Cheers.

My 1st PS3 from Play.com was also noisy after 15 minutes so I got it replaced and the new one is unbelievably silent :smashin:

There is definitely a percentage of noisy units so if you get one then get it swapped ASAP :)

martimu it will be because its in a cupboard,ive got my pc in a cupboard but have 4 big holes at the side which you cant see and the air gets sucked out of there and if i shut the door on the front of the cupboard my pc goes up into the 90s so have to leave door open,

It would appear that Brian S has some competition for having the most sensitive ears:D.I'd love to know how loud these get,because mine is silent.

It would appear that Brian S has some competition for having the most sensitive ears:D.I'd love to know how loud these get,because mine is silent.

:D
Mine is quiet also ;) and it's a 60Gb. :cool:

Mine is also extremely noisy, so much so that I am selling it and buying a Panasonic BD30 instead as I just can't stand it anymore. There definitely seem to be 2 different models of the PS3, noisy and quiet.

. There definitely seem to be 2 different models of the PS3, noisy and quiet.

Hi whitebeard. :)
It is strange :confused: but then some have had noisy one's :( exchanged them,and found the replacement to be quiet :smashin: with the 40Gb model,noise should be "much" less of an issue mow. :)
All the best.

There must definately be a big variability in different PS3's noise levels. It's not down to some people having more sensitive hearing !

I have a 40Gb model bought in Jan this year and when the fan goes on to maximum, it's loud enough that you would need to raise your voice slightly to have a conversation over it (this is not an exaggeration !). It's only done this twice, both times on warm days, but even at the "normal" level when watching upscaled DVD or Blu-Ray it's loud enough to be distracting during quiet passages in a movie (and I listen through Headphones !)

Oh, and my PS3 is sat on an open shelf, couldn't be better ventilated, short of putting it out in the garden !

Well, I have to say my PS3 is as quite as a mouse while watching films, playing games or media streaming so far, even with a 250GB HDD upgrade.

Only got it last week but you wouldn't know it was even on.

There must definately be a big variability in different PS3's noise levels. It's not down to some people having more sensitive hearing !

I have a 40Gb model bought in Jan this year and when the fan goes on to maximum, it's loud enough that you would need to raise your voice slightly to have a conversation over it (this is not an exaggeration !). It's only done this twice, both times on warm days, but even at the "normal" level when watching upscaled DVD or Blu-Ray it's loud enough to be distracting during quiet passages in a movie (and I listen through Headphones !)

Oh, and my PS3 is sat on an open shelf, couldn't be better ventilated, short of putting it out in the garden !

That is what mine is like.
Well I've moved it but won't get an opportunity to give it a good run until tomorrow. Will report back hopefully noise free!

Thanks for responses

Martin

My 40 gig PS3 also has a very noisy fan. It sits on an Optimum AV rack on its own shelf so ventilation is not a problem yet the fan even kicks in when I am just charging the gamepad. This is my second PS3, the first was silent but only lasted a week before failing. There are people on other forums who are reporting noisy fans as well so all PS3s are not made the same. The noise from mine makes it unsuitable for use as a movie player but I have a Bluray equiped HTPC for that.

It's definitely silent until the PS3 gets too hot, and then you can audibly hear the fan kick into overdrive and it gets noisy.

It's easy to demonstrate on mine. Slide the AV cabinet door shut, and play a movie... within 10 minutes it's very loud. Keep the AV cabinet door slid open, and it remains silent throughout.

Anyone with it in the open should check to see if the air vents are clogged, or try switching it from vertical to horizontal (or vice versa).

Posted this in the thread in PS3 section but my 40GB is also noisy and the fan kicks in after about 10min watching a Blue Ray. This is because my TV stand has a back on so the ventilation is poor.

Remove it from the stand and no fan noise.

Recently sold my 60 gig version as it was so loud that it was very distracting in the quieter scenes. Bought a BD30 instead and that is completely silent and makes watching films far more enjoyable.

Both were in a cabinet with the front door open but with plenty of clearance either side and on top. On a further positive note, the PS3 sold for £400 with no games or blu-rays!.

My PS3 was also in the open, and nothing was clogged. I tried it flat and on its side and it made no difference to the noisy fan. After about 20 mins it would just kick in and then stay on even if the PS3 was doing nothing.

Anyway I now have a Panny BD30 and it is completely silent when playing disks.

Anyone wanna buy a 60gb PS3? :D

if you have this fault then who do you exchange your ps3 with,is it the shop where you bought it from or sony.my ps3 overheated last night and wouldnt work properly and it about 7 months old.got the reciept from gamestation.

if you have this fault then who do you exchange your ps3 with,is it the shop where you bought it from or sony.my ps3 overheated last night and wouldnt work properly and it about 7 months old.got the reciept from gamestation.

Hi cris1502. :)
I would contact gamestation first :smashin: usually pretty good.
All the best.

Had a good play over the weekend and have established:

Cupboard shut normal position - fan noise within 20mins
Cupboard shut but move as far away from other kit as poss - fan noise within an hour

Finally got to cupboard open but situated as far from possible from the other kit and was able to watch a 2 hour film with no noise.

A tad annoying that the door is open but not exactly a major problem. Little will just have to learn!

It seems from the thread that all playstations have the potential to make a lot of fan noise. but when well ventilated are v quiet. it does seem like on or two set off earlier than others though.

I think there must be an awareness of this from the retailers though as they seem to be more than willing to swap out the noisy ones,.

Thank for advice all.

Cheers

Martin

Mine is worse than my XBox 360 was - and that's saying something.

It's quiet once turned on but start doing anything, movies (Blu or SD) or games and the fans spin up and it starts to hover.

It's a 40gb version bought new two months ago.

I have had to move it out of my cinema room and put it in an adjourning bedroom! the controllers still work a treat but had to put a bloody big hole through the wall in order to get the HDMI cable through.

At least I hear nothing! extreme though!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom