Fan isn't working & Burning smell

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by t49lnh3ybt, Aug 23, 2006.

1. t49lnh3ybt

t49lnh3ybt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I got my new Sky+(Amstrad) box installed 4hours ago. I noticed that the fan hasn't been on and the box is just warm. I think the fan should be on. The box gave off strong burning smell about an hour from when installed and the smell has been weakened now. Is the box ok or should I get a new box?

Thanks.

2. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    The boxes can give off the odd smell when new, I wouldn't worry just yet. Also the fan doesn't always run but only when it needs to, it may come on in the near future.
    Cheers, Franc

3. t49lnh3ybt

t49lnh3ybt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have another question..
    Until when does the box give off the smell?

4. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    When it comes to pc's the burning smells is usually due to a dead fan...usually the power supply or graphics card one, if it is really strong then you need to try and get that fan working, shedule back to back recorings for say 12 hours on both tunets. so you put strain on the box, keep monitoring it now and again to see if it spins also take care as it may go up in smoke, well the fan on my PC did once..., if the fan still does not work and you still smell that noise call sky up and tell them that you have been given a defective unit which poses a safety risk..., keep going on and on until you get a replacement, make sure it's not an Amstrad...

5. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    If it is still noticeable after 3 or 4 days then best to get Sky to check it out for your own peace of mind, it wont cost you for the callout.
    Cheers, Franc

6. t49lnh3ybt

t49lnh3ybt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I get a replacement from Sky, Do I have to pay for the installation by an engineer?

7. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    providing you got it installed through Sky then Sky will cover the box for 12 months free of charge but make sure that they don't fobb you off we a reconditioned box if it is only a day old. Any box installed under 3 months old entitles you to a new STB replacement (unless Sky has changed it's policy again!)

Cheers, Franc